Carnival Glory or NCL Epic -- Same Price

jetexpress

We have been booked on Glory for 2/2/14 for a while now and we just found out our friends booked a sailing on NCL Epic for the same date. Both sailings are leaving from Miami the same day. They are trying to convince us to switch and give NCL a try. Right now we are in an 8F balcony on Glory for $749 p/p with $100 OBC for the cabin. We could book a guarantee balcony on the Epic for $749 and essentially just lose the OBC. For what it's worth, we do have FTTF booked on the glory as well so I am essentially only figuring it as $50 OBC. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions? Should we make the switch?

We have been booked on Glory for 2/2/14 for a while now and we just found out our friends booked a sailing on NCL Epic for the same date. Both sailings are leaving from Miami the same day. They are trying to convince us to switch and give NCL a try. Right now we are in an 8F balcony on Glory for $749 p/p with $100 OBC for the cabin. We could book a guarantee balcony on the Epic for $749 and essentially just lose the OBC. For what it's worth, we do have FTTF booked on the glory as well so I am essentially only figuring it as $50 OBC. Does anyone have thoughts or opinions? Should we make the switch?

I like both ships but the glory has a nicer itinerary same itinerary id choose epic better entertainment on NCL

I am booked on Carnival Glory in two weeks but for the same price I would choose NCL Epic easy.

What is Glory's itinerary? I know Epic is starting her Western route as of the OP's sailing.

Epic Miami, Florida - At Sea - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - At Sea - Costa Maya, Mexico - Cozumel, Mexico - At Sea - Miami, Florida

Glory Miami, Florida - At Sea - Georgetown, Grand Cayman- Cozumel, Mexico - Belize City, Belize - Mahogany Bay, Honduras - At Sea - Miami, Florida

Well, I'm not going to address the difference in the itineraries, because everyone has a different opinion about that, and I tend to value the ship more than the ports. That said, I'd pick the Epic in a minute, plus you have the fun of cruising with friends. The entertainment and buffet food are generally better on NCL, main dining room food (in my humble opinion) is somewhat better on Carnival. The Epic is a newer ship with lots more options for entertainment and dining.

And I'm booked on the Glory in December....

I like both ships but the glory has a nicer itinerary same itinerary id choose epic better entertainment on NCL

Have you thought about rebooking the Glory for future date and have the friend join you! Go with them In February!

. The entertainment and buffet food are generally better on NCL, main dining room food (in my humble opinion) is somewhat better on Carnival. The Epic is a newer ship with lots more options for entertainment and dining.

totally agree

This will be our second cruise on the Epic

Edited by jonbgd

I have sailed both and liked the Glory, however, hands down pick the Epic.

The best thermal suite, blue man group, legends in concert, blues bar, cirque, spice h20, fried cheese 24 hours a day at O'Sheehans. Epic is still our favorite cruise, even though we really enjoy Carnival.

Epic Miami, Florida - At Sea - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - At Sea - Costa Maya, Mexico - Cozumel, Mexico - At Sea - Miami, Florida

Glory Miami, Florida - At Sea - Georgetown, Grand Cayman- Cozumel, Mexico - Belize City, Belize - Mahogany Bay, Honduras - At Sea - Miami, Florida

Thanks! I do agree about the itinerary being better on the Glory but I'm definitely in the Epic camp, especially because of the entertainment.

OP, whichever you chose I hope you have a fantastic cruise!

We will eventually try NCL for some change and various reasons

Myself I would have to pick the Glory and do an 8E Lido balcony cabin right by all the action.We stayed in 9293 and it was awesome

http://www.cruisecritic.com/carnival-glory-deck-plans/dp/?shipID=280&deck=9

The itinerary is awesome as well we have done it 6 times and will do it probably another 6 :)

Heres a little video(not mine but we were their) from west bay beach in Roatan. Our favorite port by far

good luck

Anything but NCL.

I really appreciate everyone's input!! My heart wants to go with the Epic, however after doing a little research it seems that almost everyone who books a guarantee balcony on Epic will receive an "in-hull" balcony. (Similar to cove balconies on CCL). I really do not think I would be a fan of being surrounded by steel especially since these in-hull balconies are all on higher decks. I have not seen many positive reviews of this category either. I know I could pay a little more for an assigned room but would have to go up a few categories to not be on a deck 8 balcony which are completely exposed to higher decks. So at that point the cost is not as close at it first appears to the Glory.

I must say though, thanks again for the input and it was awesome to see so many positive suggestions for the Epic here on the CCL board. I guess the DW and I have a little thinking to do....

I'm a big fan of Carnival and just got off a Carnival Glory Canada cruise. We had a great time and I'd go again in an instant, and probably will go again next year.

That said, I've cruised on both Carnival and NCL, and if the prices were close, I'd go with NCL. The entertainment on the Glory has really gone downhill. The shows were small, short, lame and way overdependent on a video screen and obnoxious light effects. And the deck entertainment was either a bored DJ or a single musician doing a bad Jimmy Buffet cover. But I don't cruise for the shows, I cruise for the sea, the ports and the total relaxation, so I was fine. The price and itinerary were great.

It's been a while since I was on NCL but last time the shows were really entertaining, and the live music was better.

Food-wise, the Carnival MDR has also slipped a notch, but it was from a pretty high standard, and is still perfectly fine. The service in the MDR is still the best around. I like assigned seating and getting to know my waiter. And I *really* liked the new Guy's burger bar and the burrito stand for lunch.

NCL's anytime dining is in a nice room, but otherwise has all the ambiance of an Applebees. However, I'm a real fan of the NCL specialty restaurants. I found that the staff of the specialty restaurants really appreciate your business, and add many special touches that used to be found in the main dining room. If I went on an NCL cruise, I'd budget another $100 to $150 per person for the dining extras and enjoy them almost every night. It really makes the cruise fun, deciding what you're in the mood for each night, and eating whenever you want, even late.

So either way is fine. I'm curious about the Epic, so if it was me I'd take the chance on the cabin and give it a try. But either way, you'll have a great time.

Hi there.

It looks as though you're leaning toward keeping your Glory booking, but I thought I would add a few comments on the Epic as we cruised her last December and as my most recent cruise, she's fresh in my mind.

Hubby and I are currently booked to go on Glory this coming December and are really excited to be back on Carnival after a decade trying different lines.

Hubby and I took our two daughters (6 & 8) on the Epic last December as my parents had gifted us a Future Cruise Certificate with NCL. We had an amazing time and that cruise would tie the Emerald Princess as my favourite cruise experience.

The entertainment on Epic is top notch - Blue Man Group, Second City, Fat Cats Jazz, bowling, even the Legends show was all enjoyed by our entire group. Hubby and I loved the waterslides even though our daughters were too intimidated to even try them. Lots to do on the ship, you'd have to work at it to be bored.

The Garden Cafe had the best buffet I have ever experienced on any of my previous cruises. The set up allows traffic to flow very easily and the variety is amazing. We never had something we didn't like, but we aren't overly picky and frankly, as a mom of four, I'm just happy when I don't have to cook and clean!

We also highly recommend Le Bistro and the Cirque show and dinner if you don't mind spending the extra money (not sure on current prices as I believe they went up in 2013). The food at Le Bistro was outstanding and worth every extra penny and while the food at the Cirque show is very good, you're really paying for the fabulous and hilarious show.

The cabin layout is unconventional (we had a B6 - large balcony cabin) and I do prefer a traditional layout but it was comfortable - if not a little tight - for the week even with four of us.

You're obviously making an excellent choice with your Glory booking but if you'd like to try the Epic, and cruise with your friends, you might want to make the change. If you're overly concerned that you won't be happy with your cabin placement - and that's a deal breaker for you - then stick to your current booking. Either way you're on a cruise so you can't really go wrong can you?

Enjoy!