Peat Taylor Tours

IllinoisCruiser50

We will be in OchoRios in January as part of our carnival cruise. I would like to do the Dunn River Fall and River Tubing tour. I was wondering what time do they pick up? I have this huge fear of being left behind by the boat if we do not book an excursion with the cruise ship. Do they get you back to the boat in good time? When doing all this water activities, were do you put your valuables? I wouldn't be bringing much with, but I'm sure we will need money and a camera. Do they ask for money for every picture they take during the tour? Do you feel obligated to buy them? Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks

No worries about getting back to the ship on time since you are docking in Ocho Rios. We just got off Allure last Sunday that was docked in Falmouth (45 min away from Ocho Rios) and we booked a private tour with Liberty Tours Jamaica and went to Secret Falls (Irie Blue Hole), sightseeing, lunch at Scotchies. 2 other passengers went with us that did the river tubing.

Email Liberty Tours and they will customize a tour for you what you want to do. The price is way better than the ship and some of the other operators there. I have been to Dunn's River before on a Carnival ship, and I much preferred Secret Falls. There was not a HERD of ship passengers next to you.

Ricardo was our driver, and he locked our money and valuables in his mini van. When it was time to tip the guides, when we left the falls, I told them I had some $$ in the van to please follow me, which they did.

They did not ask for money at all even though one of the guides had our cameras the entire time taking pictures. NO worries keeping your valubles in Ricardos van. He a native to Jamaica and

knows the culture well and also gives you the best info about the island. You can let him know what time you want to return the ship in advance and he will customize it for you.

There was also a changing area at Secret Falls and a place to leave your towels and clothes. This was a very memorable day spent in Jamaica, and the Secret Falls was gorgeous. I would do this again!!

Edited by rosebud1g

We will be in OchoRios in January as part of our carnival cruise. I would like to do the Dunn River Fall and River Tubing tour. I was wondering what time do they pick up? I have this huge fear of being left behind by the boat if we do not book an excursion with the cruise ship. Do they get you back to the boat in good time? When doing all this water activities, were do you put your valuables? I wouldn't be bringing much with, but I'm sure we will need money and a camera. Do they ask for money for every picture they take during the tour? Do you feel obligated to buy them? Any input would be very appreciated. Thanks

We just returned from Jamaica and used Peat Taylor Tours for our excursion to Ocho Rios. We were picked up from our resort in Montego Bay and made the 90 minute trek to Ocho Rios. We climbed Dunns River Falls, went River Tubing and explored the Irie Blue Hole. We had Peat's eldest son, Oneil as our guide. Oneil was simply awesome. He was professional, friendly, informative, entertaining and humorous too. We are so glad that we had booked our Ocho Rios excursion through Peat Taylor Tours--they were fantastic and really looked after us. I would not hesitate to book with them again.

In regards to cruise ship excursions, you will have no worry about Peat Taylor Tours getting you back to your ship on time. They deal with cruise excursions all the time, and know the importance of getting their guests back to the ship before departure. To my knowledge, they have never missed a ship. Since time is limited, most cruise excursions typically begin 1/2 hour after the ship docks. You can always email Peat Taylor tours to ask about their pick-up time. They were very quick to respond back. During the water activities, we left our towels and other valuables in the van. Oneil kept an eye on things and had the van locked. All our belongings were safe in there.

At Dunns River, a falls guide will hold onto your camera and take pictures for you. They do not ask for a tip for each photo they take, but rather ask for a tip at the end. For the river tubing, there were two photographers taking pictures of us. One of them is connected with the river tubing and the second one is not. We purchased a CD of 76 photos taken by the river tubing photographer for $30 US (he originally asked for $40). The other photographer was asking $20 for all the photos he took but since we just purchased photos from the river tubing photographer, we didn't need another set. There is no obligation to buy their photos, but you sure do make their day if you do!

You are sure to enjoy your day in Ocho Rios and if you book with Peat Taylor Tours, I can guarantee you will have a positive experience!

If you have any more questions about the water excursions, please let me know. I can also download some photos if you are interested.

We just returned from Jamaica and used Peat Taylor Tours for our excursion to Ocho Rios. We were picked up from our resort in Montego Bay and made the 90 minute trek to Ocho Rios. We climbed Dunns River Falls, went River Tubing and explored the Irie Blue Hole. We had Peat's eldest son, Oneil as our guide. Oneil was simply awesome. He was professional, friendly, informative, entertaining and humorous too. We are so glad that we had booked our Ocho Rios excursion through Peat Taylor Tours--they were fantastic and really looked after us. I would not hesitate to book with them again.

In regards to cruise ship excursions, you will have no worry about Peat Taylor Tours getting you back to your ship on time. They deal with cruise excursions all the time, and know the importance of getting their guests back to the ship before departure. To my knowledge, they have never missed a ship. Since time is limited, most cruise excursions typically begin 1/2 hour after the ship docks. You can always email Peat Taylor tours to ask about their pick-up time. They were very quick to respond back. During the water activities, we left our towels and other valuables in the van. Oneil kept an eye on things and had the van locked. All our belongings were safe in there.

At Dunns River, a falls guide will hold onto your camera and take pictures for you. They do not ask for a tip for each photo they take, but rather ask for a tip at the end. For the river tubing, there were two photographers taking pictures of us. One of them is connected with the river tubing and the second one is not. We purchased a CD of 76 photos taken by the river tubing photographer for $30 US (he originally asked for $40). The other photographer was asking $20 for all the photos he took but since we just purchased photos from the river tubing photographer, we didn't need another set. There is no obligation to buy their photos, but you sure do make their day if you do!

You are sure to enjoy your day in Ocho Rios and if you book with Peat Taylor Tours, I can guarantee you will have a positive experience!

If you have any more questions about the water excursions, please let me know. I can also download some photos if you are interested.

I couldn't agree more. This very tour has been one of the highlights of our cruising experience. I highly recommend P.T.

Carnival Glory, '06

Carnival Freedom, '11

Carnival Legend, '12

Carnival Valor, '13

Carnival Dream, '13

I now got all our photos downloaded. Here are some pictures from our day with Peat Taylor Tours.

Our awesome guide Oneil from Peat Taylor Tours

IMG_0217_zps14867e9e.jpg

Dunns River Falls

IMG_0431_zps9f020c03.jpg

River Tubing

DSC_5511_zps074bb854.jpg

Irie Blue Hole--the highlight of our trip!

DSCF1228_zpsfa6547f8.jpg

Edited by dz63

Just back today. Irie Blue Hole was the highlight of out trip!! Peat Taylor picked us up at 7:30 am. We had to be back to the ship by 2. No problem, mon as Peat says. It was a beautiful place with no crowds and the young men who were the guides were awesome. My son (13) wants to go back again. It does involve some steep climbing but the guides are very helpful. Can't say enough good things about the place and the tour guide. We also did river rafting before going to the Blue Hole.

Edited by barbc61719

The tour you went on sounds like SO much fun and exactly what I am looking for! I like that you got the combination of the 3 spots I want to stop at-- the falls, tubing, AND the Blue Hole. I am looking on his website, and I do not see all three of these listed as one. DId you book a private tour and customize this or which one did you pick? also, what was your price? Thanks!

The tour you went on sounds like SO much fun and exactly what I am looking for! I like that you got the combination of the 3 spots I want to stop at-- the falls, tubing, AND the Blue Hole. I am looking on his website, and I do not see all three of these listed as one. DId you book a private tour and customize this or which one did you pick? also, what was your price? Thanks!

If you go onto Peat Taylor Tours website: http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/, you will see an index bar on the left side. Hold your mouse over "Tours" and you will see the three pick-up stops (Ocho Rios, Falmouth & Montego Bay) show up. Hold your mouse over your pick-up location and then a hotel or cruise ship option will appear. Again hold your mouse over whether you want to be picked up from a hotel or cruise ship and all the tour options will show up. Our day with Peat Taylor Tours was private but was not specially customized. The three tour combo we did (Dunns River, River Tubing and Irie Blue Hole) does appear in the drop down list here. Once you click on the tour you are interested in, a page with full description and prices will appear.

Our tour with pick-up from and return to Montego Bay was $100/person and this rate included all admission fees to the sites.

Assuming you are arriving by cruise ship in Ocho Rios, and if this link works, the link below should take you right into the description and rates to do Dunns River, River Tubing and the Irie Blue Hole with Peat Taylor.

http://www.ochoriosjamaicatours.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=178&Itemid=171

oh, and one more thing! If i can only pick two of the 3, which two would you pick as the best over the other? thanks!

:confused: Hmm, that would be a tough decision to make, as this really depends on your interests. If you like thrilling and daring adventures, that include jumping off of cliffs, swinging on a Tarzan rope and climbing through hidden caves but without the crowds than the Irie Blue Hole is perfect for this. However if you would like something more relaxing like floating down the river on a tube with a few small rapids added in for excitement, than go for the River Tubing. Then there is Dunns River Falls--a famous Jamaican landmark that allows you to experience a unique 600 foot climb up and over a cascading waterfall. If you have never been to Jamaica before, climbing up a waterfall is an interesting adventure to experience, however, keep in mind, this is a popular tourist spot and does get crowded. Also to exit the park you are required to walk through a craft market and the vendors here can be quite pushy trying to make a sale.

We were glad we were able to do all 3 excursions as for us it would be very difficult to choose only two, but based on our recent experience the Irie Blue Hole would definitely be our number 1 choice to visit again!

For more information about our experience at the Irie Blue Hole and River Rafting (and hopefully to help you decide which excursions would interest you the most in case you have to choose), read my reviews with photos on Trip Advisor. I have not written my review on Dunns River Falls yet, but when I do I can post the link to that one as well.

Irie Blue Hole

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html#REVIEWS

River Tubing on the White River

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1645961-r176545905-White_River-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

:confused: Hmm, that would be a tough decision to make, as this really depends on your interests. If you like thrilling and daring adventures, that include jumping off of cliffs, swinging on a Tarzan rope and climbing through hidden caves but without the crowds than the Irie Blue Hole is perfect for this. However if you would like something more relaxing like floating down the river on a tube with a few small rapids added in for excitement, than go for the River Tubing. Then there is Dunns River Falls--a famous Jamaican landmark that allows you to experience a unique 600 foot climb up and over a cascading waterfall. If you have never been to Jamaica before, climbing up a waterfall is an interesting adventure to experience, however, keep in mind, this is a popular tourist spot and does get crowded. Also to exit the park you are required to walk through a craft market and the vendors here can be quite pushy trying to make a sale.

We were glad we were able to do all 3 excursions as for us it would be very difficult to choose only two, but based on our recent experience the Irie Blue Hole would definitely be our number 1 choice to visit again!

For more information about our experience at the Irie Blue Hole and River Rafting (and hopefully to help you decide which excursions would interest you the most in case you have to choose), read my reviews with photos on Trip Advisor. I have not written my review on Dunns River Falls yet, but when I do I can post the link to that one as well.

Irie Blue Hole

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1997485-r176527386-Blue_Hole-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html#REVIEWS

River Tubing on the White River

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d1645961-r176545905-White_River-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

Dunns River Falls

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowUserReviews-g147312-d2043496-r177073197-Dunn_s_River_Falls-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

• 3 weeks later...

For those who have booked Peat Taylor, when you emailed him did he send you any other confirmation besides a basic, you are all set, meet me when you get off the ship?? He didnt give me an exact time, and I didnt need to pay in advance or anything. Basically, did you just go on his email confirmation? I'm just nervous that since we didnt pay or anything, that he wont be there when the ship arrives?

Thanks!

For those who have booked Peat Taylor, when you emailed him did he send you any other confirmation besides a basic, you are all set, meet me when you get off the ship?? He didnt give me an exact time, and I didnt need to pay in advance or anything. Basically, did you just go on his email confirmation? I'm just nervous that since we didnt pay or anything, that he wont be there when the ship arrives?

Thanks!

Don't worry. He will be there.

Thanks!

When I booked with Peat Taylor I received a booking confirmation with a pick-up time. We were also required to pay a $10/person deposit via PayPal--but then we were booking for a hotel pick-up, so maybe they deal with hotel pick-ups differently than cruise ship pick-ups. Many tour operators who pick up cruise ship passengers do not request a deposit and their tours usually begin within half an hour from when your ship docks. If you need more clarification and to ease your mind in regards to whether a deposit is required or what time you should meet them, just send him an email and ask. In either case, if you received a booking confirmation, then rest assured he will be waiting for you when you exit the ship!

P.S. Where you able to book Dunns River, River Rafting and the Irie Blue Hole as you hoped?

When I booked with Peat Taylor I received a booking confirmation with a pick-up time. We were also required to pay a $10/person deposit via PayPal--but then we were booking for a hotel pick-up, so maybe they deal with hotel pick-ups differently than cruise ship pick-ups. Many tour operators who pick up cruise ship passengers do not request a deposit and their tours usually begin within half an hour from when your ship docks. If you need more clarification and to ease your mind in regards to whether a deposit is required or what time you should meet them, just send him an email and ask. In either case, if you received a booking confirmation, then rest assured he will be waiting for you when you exit the ship!

P.S. Where you able to book Dunns River, River Rafting and the Irie Blue Hole as you hoped?

Yes, I had emailed back and he said you pay upon arrival, so I am just going to go with it! I'm sure everything will be fine! And we decided on the Dunn's Falls and the Secret Falls. We may change to doing all 3, but we are only in port from 7:30-2:30 so I'm not sure if doing all 3 would be too rushed.

Yes, I had emailed back and he said you pay upon arrival, so I am just going to go with it! I'm sure everything will be fine! And we decided on the Dunn's Falls and the Secret Falls. We may change to doing all 3, but we are only in port from 7:30-2:30 so I'm not sure if doing all 3 would be too rushed.

Good choice! Have fun in Ocho Rios!

• 1 month later...
:confused: Is the blue hole and secret falls the same attraction and long does it take to do either one.

Yes, the Blue Hole and Secret Falls is the same attraction. We were given 1 1/2 hours to enjoy here.

We just used Peat Taylor Tours for the Blue Hole/Tubing excursion in Ocho Rios. We had a really great time and enjoyed our day. Everything went smoothly and we were back at the ship in plenty of time.

Just a note....

We had 2 tour guides with us for our group of 6 - my husband and I, and another group of 4 doing the same tour. They went everywhere with us. When we got to the Blue Hole - a different pair of 'blue hole' guides did the excursion with us. Our original guides stayed with the van/our stuff....but did not participate in this part of the excursion. The same thing happened at the tubing. A 'tubing' set of guides took us down the river...while our original guides took the van with our belongings and met us at the end. This was fine and everything was great....but the expectation is that all your guides are tipped.

I wasn't as prepared for this as I should have been. We only had $20's, so ended up giving each pair of guides $20....hopefully they all split with each other. I also don't usually bring a lot of extra money on excursions with me and while I was thinking we would tip our excursion guides....I wasn't anticipating all of the 'extra' guides.

That being said....we also did a ship excursion in Jamaica 2 years ago which was similar. We had guides who were with us for the day, but they were not the same guides who took us up Dunns River Falls....so you'd think I'd have learned from that! :)

Anyway - I just wanted people to be forewarned as I didn't expect/plan very well for this! Hope it helps!

We used water shoes for the tubing and Blue Hole. I'm pretty sure we also used them a couple of years ago for Dunn's River Falls.

Do you NEED them? I don't know. Since we had them, I didn't really worry about where I stepped or think about whether or not I would've been okay without them. For the blue hole, my husband thought the water shoes were a little bit slippier than bare feet, but you would still want something on your feet getting to and from the vehicles to the falls. For the tubing, there is a walk of a couple of minutes down to the river...and then shorter one at pick-up. I would for sure want something on my feet for those bits. Also - they stopped us half-way through and we all got out....a photo op and craft stop....and it was nice to have feet covered then as well.

We bought pairs a bunch of years ago, probably at Wal-mart or something similar, and may only use them once in awhile, but they are very handy to have and don't take up much suitcase room!

Edited by cath32