VAT Refund - Port of Venice???

BatchawanaBabe

We'll be departing Venice on the MSC Divina early November and are wondering if anyone has info about claiming the VAT refund at the port. I've searched the web and there's tons of info available if departing from the airport, but none from the port.

You claim your VAT when you fly out to go home not when you leave on a cruise. As you only do it once. That is probably why you can't find info. Someone may have a better reply.

Just to add, if your ship is also calling at either the Canary Islands or Madeira after Malaga, I think these ports also come under the European VAT directive, although they are autonomous regions of Spain and Portugal respectively, so it is possible you might have to claim there instead. You would need to check that. The point about the VAT refund is that it has to be claimed at your final point of exit from the EU. The reason for that is that it's claimable on brand new goods that you are taking out of the EU with you for your own use. If you're going to be stopping at another EU port afterwards, they've got no proof that the goods will actually be leaving the EU at all. There would be nothing to stop people claiming the refund, then taking the goods ashore at the next EU port to give to friends or even resell them.

Thanks, but I'm going home on a transatlantic cruise rather than on a plane. Hate being scrunched up in a tin can like a sardine.

I would post this on your cruisline board as you may have repeat pax and they could be of help.Just a thought. Didn't realize you were doing a TA.

Archived