PINEL ISLAND FRAUD and other fun notes!

wsantelope

We did Pinel Island on our own last week.

The good is that it was easy to get there via taxi, uncrowded and absolutely beautiful!

The snorkeling was neat and worth it, but it would have been less expensive to rent gear on the ship.

Food prices are INSANE there....$30 for a burger and fries. Bring your own snacks/food if you can.

We were ripped off by the place on the far left of the island as you approach on the ferry.

It is called Karibuni.

First of all the service is AWFUL!

Super slow and unless they can tell that you are going to run a big tab-expect not to be served. Bar service is slow too. Over an hour for a basic burger. This was on a day it was NOT crowded.

We were told it was $20 for two chairs and an umbrella.

Here's the trick: if you pay in USD cash it is.

They honor American prices for all their items.

If you pay with credit you will pay in EUROS and it will be substantially more. This is true on the whole island.

Now for the best part:

I paid for all my goods with credit. Was told to tip in cash only-which we did.

The receipt showed the amount in Euros and in US dollars so I knew exactly what I was paying. There was no gratuity added on the check or disclaimers that gratuity would be charged on the menu.

When I checked my credit card I was charged four dollars more than I signed for.

This was a fraudulent charge and thankfully I kept the receipt and have sent it on to my credit card company and disputed the charge.

This place tainted the whole island for me.

As has been mentioned on this forum, our taxi did not return to pick us up, it is about an hour walk to Orient Beach in not so great a neighborhood and thankfully a native gave us a ride back to the ship from the ferry dock, which he says they have to do frequently.

We knew this ahead of time and were willing to take the chance. We started back to the ship 2.5 hours before we had to be onboard and barely made it.

If you are going to go here rent a car and pay in cash on the island.

If you aren't prepared to do this it's not worth the hassle.

We did Pinel Island on our own last week.

The good is that it was easy to get there via taxi, uncrowded and absolutely beautiful!

The snorkeling was neat and worth it, but it would have been less expensive to rent gear on the ship.

Food prices are INSANE there....$30 for a burger and fries. Bring your own snacks/food if you can.

We were ripped off by the place on the far left of the island as you approach on the ferry.

It is called Karibuni.

First of all the service is AWFUL!

Super slow and unless they can tell that you are going to run a big tab-expect not to be served. Bar service is slow too. Over an hour for a basic burger. This was on a day it was NOT crowded.

We were told it was $20 for two chairs and an umbrella.

Here's the trick: if you pay in USD cash it is.

They honor American prices for all their items.

If you pay with credit you will pay in EUROS and it will be substantially more. This is true on the whole island.

Now for the best part:

I paid for all my goods with credit. Was told to tip in cash only-which we did.

The receipt showed the amount in Euros and in US dollars so I knew exactly what I was paying. There was no gratuity added on the check or disclaimers that gratuity would be charged on the menu.

When I checked my credit card I was charged four dollars more than I signed for.

This was a fraudulent charge and thankfully I kept the receipt and have sent it on to my credit card company and disputed the charge.

This place tainted the whole island for me.

As has been mentioned on this forum, our taxi did not return to pick us up, it is about an hour walk to Orient Beach in not so great a neighborhood and thankfully a native gave us a ride back to the ship from the ferry dock, which he says they have to do frequently.

We knew this ahead of time and were willing to take the chance. We started back to the ship 2.5 hours before we had to be onboard and barely made it.

If you are going to go here rent a car and pay in cash on the island.

If you aren't prepared to do this it's not worth the hassle.

Thanks for sharing your experience in the attempt to help others.

I have often stated on this board that I would only go to Pinel Island on my own when on a cruise if I rented a car. Far too iffy to trust that a taxi will come for me and there are no stores or restaurants to call a taxi from in the parking lot area where the ferry drops you from Pinel Island.

You read my advice or perhaps the advice of others and still chanced it. Gutsy!

You are incorrect in saying that everyone on the island charges in euros when customers pay with a credit card. This is simply not true. The Dutch side of the island does not use euros or charge your credit card in euros.

Its good to read what places to avoid so thanks for posting about your day and hopefully the next time that you visit St. Maarten you will have a much better time.

Karysa,

When I was speaking of the island and euros versus dollars I was only referring to Pinel island. :-)

This is how the 1:1 restaurants in Grand Case operate as well. We would prefer to use our credit cards for meals and collect airmiles but it makes more sence to pay in US cash compared to euros on a credit card.:)

wsantelope,

I think that anyone following this forum must have noticed postings about how expensive services and food can be on Pinel, and the fact that a €1 = $1 offer is only valid for cash payments, anywhere on the French side.

Also, when charging your credit card in Euros, your company will often add a 3% 'conversion' fee or such to the bill. Our Capitol One card does not.

gary

Archived