Am I the only one who'd love to cruise without formal night?

josassoc

Do NCL, their night are formal optional, and not many are formal

We are back to the cruise NCL if you don't want formal nights. As if that were the only basis for choosing Princess or NCL. There are a variety of reasons for choosing one cruise line over another. Can't those people that are in favor of enforcing the dress code refrain from this comment. I don't think Princess would want to encourage those people that would like a casual alternative to the formal dining to sail with another cruise line.

What do you do with ships that have only two dining rooms? Do you rope them off, one side fixed seating/casual, the other fixed/dressed-up? Or do you just scrap the Anytime thing and go with no dress codes?

Princess' larger ships have up to 7 dining rooms, they could certainly try out a casual dining room in one. As for those ships with fewer dining rooms, if Princess can disembark upwards of 3000+ passengers and embark another 3000+ in a short period of time, they should be able to figure out a way to handle this.

stoneharborlady - Sorry, I thought you were trying to start something - anyway - I think this thread has run it's course - please shut it down Tink!

Ron

I wouldn't mind seeing it shut down. Just about all the comments are becoming deja vu all over again.

Oh for heaven's sake!! I can't believe this dead horse is still limping along. For those who want to do formal--enjoy! For those who don't--eat in your room or go to the Horizon Court. Those are the choices. Please, please end this torture!:eek:

However, it is also fair to say that since Princess does not often enforce the formal night requirements people are not obliged to follow them.
I think that’s a matter of interpretation. Princess publishes the guidelines, presents a formal evening and asks on board that people dress appropriately. I feel that just because they don’t always take physical action when people disregard these guidelines, shouldn’t mean that people can just dismiss them. If that were the case, why would Princess go to all the trouble of putting this information in print? An analogy would be if you speed on the freeway and no official stops you, then you are not obliged to obey the speed limit.
Actually you did. Opinions asked you if you received a credit due to your complaints about dress code enforcement. You indicated that you had received a credit as well as an apology.
I knew I shouldn’t have answered Opinions’ question just for this reason. As a result of my letter to Princess, I received an apology and a future cruise credit. The letter contained constructive criticism and suggestions regarding the standard of dress on board. The response was a result of their understanding of the situation and not a direct edict that they would take care of the inattention some pay to the dress standards. And I still fail to see the importance of this nuance considering the topic we're supposed to be discussing here.
Talk about taking people at face value. You get upset because someone reads into your post yet you equate someone who is not dressed up for formal night as being part of the unwashed masses? How is someone supposed to take this post other than you thinking that you are better than the people who do not want to dress up in order to dine in the dining rooms on formal night.

People who do not dress up for formal night are not expecting everyone else to dress down. They just want to be comfortable and get the meal and service that they (as paying passengers) are entitled to. To presume that they did not take a shower or engage in personal hygiene is quite a leap.

Please see my response to WCAB where I explained my post and attempted to apologize for any misunderstanding. Apparently it didn’t work. As for casual formal night dressers getting what they paid for, as far as I’m concerned if they choose not to participate in the formal evening by dressing, they’ve paid for the casual alternatives.
If the cruiseline were to more rigorously enforce their dress code it wouldn't be a problem now would it?
Why is it up to the cruise line to make sure people follow the rules? It's not like they are secret rules that they spring on us when we get on board. Don’t we as adults need to take some responsibility for ourselves? Maybe that’s the root of the whole thing – we don’t want to hold any responsibility for our actions.
I don't think Princess would want to encourage those people that would like a casual alternative to the formal dining to sail with another cruise line.
And I think that’s exactly why they are so malleable with the enforcement of guidelines – and apparently Princess isn’t the only cruise line that is this way. But, NCL is a casual alternative where discussions of this type - or arguments - don't take place. So I after all this, I continue to stand by my original post...some people don't like to participate in formal evenings and so the cruise lines have come up with casual alternatives for them.

Oh for heaven's sake!! I can't believe this dead horse is still limping along. For those who want to do formal--enjoy! For those who don't--eat in your room or go to the Horizon Court. Those are the choices. Please, please end this torture!:eek:

Do you really think that a comment like this is likely to put an end to this thread?

It's true that you have never said it but the tone of your posts indicate it. It would be one thing if I were the only one who thinks this. I'm not.

I'm with you on this one. A similiar topic about changing after formal "dinner" has the same haughty comments from the same type of posters.

Perhaps we should all begin to write letters critizing the lack of enforcement on the dress code to receive future cruise credits. Yet the casual dressers are accused of having no morals.

Perhaps we should all begin to write letters critizing the lack of enforcement on the dress code to receive future cruise credits. Yet the casual dressers are accused of having no morals.

Wow – it’s really disappointing to see my posts be twisted like this and for it to be inferred that I'm immoral. I really take exception to this statement and I would suggest it is a violation of the "no attack" clause included in the guidelines of this board. Of course it’s my fault for letting another poster put me in the position to post information that I knew would be misconstrued…perhaps at the time I thought better of some posters on this board. My mistake, I guess.

I don’t need to defend myself or my reasons for writing to Princess – but suffice to say, compensation wasn’t one of those reasons. Whether this fact is believed by anyone posting on this board isn’t my issue – it’s yours. In the meantime, I’ve done my best to answer criticism thrown my way and still remain true to the topic of this thread. Others seem to have to attempt insults instead of discussing the topic at hand. Kind of sad, really considering the discussion on this topic was remaining fairly civil…for the first few pages.

One more time - for those of you who prefer to cruise casually, the cruise lines provide alternatives so you don't have to participate in formal night if you prefer not to. If you choose to ignore those alternatives, then you put yourself at the risk of being turned away at the dining room due to casual dress. Above all else, those are the facts.

I've followed this thread for the last few days and have appreciated your civilized responses. I see that you've been measured and fair in your posts and I've enjoyed reading them, and I don't agree with everything you've posted on this thread (we do change clothes after dinner and the show).

I've followed this thread for the last few days and have appreciated your civilized responses. I see that you've been measured and fair in your posts and I've enjoyed reading them, and I don't agree with everything you've posted on this thread (we do change clothes after dinner and the show).
Thank you. And I certainly don’t expect everyone to agree with me – sometimes I don’t agree with myself.

I'm with you on this one. A similiar topic about changing after formal "dinner" has the same haughty comments from the same type of posters.

It also had the same unwarranted personal attacks from another type of poster. Some things never change.

Please see my response to WCAB where I explained my post and attempted to apologize for any misunderstanding. Apparently it didn’t work. As for casual formal night dressers getting what they paid for, as far as I’m concerned if they choose not to participate in the formal evening by dressing, they’ve paid for the casual alternatives.

I did see that but you complained that I was not taking you at face value. Now I am supposed to read humor into your posts? How about you pick one way and stick with it.

Why is it up to the cruise line to make sure people follow the rules? It's not like they are secret rules that they spring on us when we get on board.

Since they are the ones who list how they want people to dress and behave then it is up to them to ensure that it happens.

I continue to stand by my original post...some people don't like to participate in formal evenings and so the cruise lines have come up with casual alternatives for them.

That may be but to me it would only be an acceptable alternative if the same type of service and food was available in other venues on the ship. That is not the case.

If there were an alternative available where people could still have access to the full services and menu available in the dining room then I could see complaining that the "socially misguided" were invading the dining room. Until then I have no problem sharing my space or experience with people who prefer to be comfortable.

I've never been on a cruise where there weren't MANY people who didn't dress for formal night ... they just weren't in the dining room. I always change clothes after dinner and before the shows into something comfortable but rather elegant, if I do say so myself. It isn't like you have to stay in your cabin if you don't want to dress up. You have the run of the ship, room service, buffet and the pay restaurants where you don't have to dress up. I don't see the problem.

I don't think anything is going to be accomplished with this thread. The bottom line is people are going to continue to disagree on this subject.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread perhaps they should set up

two separate themes on lobster night. One formal the other casual. I think

this is a great idea. As cruising becomes increasingly popular, and more and more people get hooked on cruising, I think this idea would appeal to alot

of them. And please stop offering up NCL as a solution, been there,

done that and no thank you~

I don't think anything is going to be accomplished with this thread. The bottom line is people are going to continue to disagree on this subject.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread perhaps they should set up

two separate themes on lobster night. One formal the other casual. I think

this is a great idea. As cruising becomes increasingly popular, and more and more people get hooked on cruising, I think this idea would appeal to alot

of them. And please stop offering up NCL as a solution, been there,

done that and no thank you~

I don't think this thread was trying to accomplish anything. I think it is really good personal entertainment.

My thoughts, I love to dress up on formal nights, Its one of the 'fun' parts of cruising for us. If we were on Seabourn, Crystal or Cunard, this would not be taking place because its a 'given' or the mindset.

But since I can't afford those right now, I still love the atmosphere.

Its kind of like going swimming in your tux or evening wear when all other are dressed in the 'pool' attire (swim suits/ bikinis) . It looks out of place for the venue, even though we all are there to swim and get some sun! ( a big stretch, I know )8 ^)

oh well, happy cruising.

Archived