Calf's Liver on Veendam...

sail7seas

I used to be able to get calf's liver at a mall local supermarket or at a butcher shop nearby. I no longer have a Trader Joe's nearby(at least I haven't seen one, but do have Stop and Shop and Shoprite, and a Wegman's about 30 minutes away. I will miss Trader Joe's. heading north today and I think I'll stop by the little supermarket and bring back some liver. Then, a swing by the fish market for lobster.

I just did a search and there is a Trader Joe's in Princeton...All set.

We have a Trader Joe's opening about a mile from here. In October. At the moment, the nearest one to us is about 10 miles to 12 miles away. You're lucky to have a Wegmans!

Trader Joes just opened here a few years back.....and a Whole Foods also. Publix is the new chain to invade Charlotte.....I loved it in Florida, hope they will be as good here.

That does it.......

I'm on a search to get calves liver special ordered from the butcher if I have to.

I want calves liver!!! :D

My local butcher sometimes has it at $10.00 a pound. Think it's kind of pricey for liver but I do treat myself from time to time.:)

I have two Trader Joe's with 10 miles either direction but just today learned new Whole Foods just opened about 10 miles from me. :) :) Happy dance, happy dance.

The other Whole Foods is a nuisance drive from me but this one is way more convenient. They likely will have/will get calves liver.

I have two Trader Joe's with 10 miles either direction but just today learned new Whole Foods just opened about 10 miles from me. :) :) Happy dance, happy dance.

The other Whole Foods is a nuisance drive from me but this one is way more convenient. They likely will have/will get calves liver.

I thought the same about WF having calf's liver, but ours did not. We talked to the butcher who said they rarely if ever have it as they sell so little of it when they do get it in. We were surprised not to find it there.

When I saw the recipe originally, I thought the addition of golden raisins odd. But I decided to go ahead and make it the way the chef said anyway. Glad I did. The few raisins added give the vegetable a hint of sweetness without overpowering the flavor. And they soften when you sautee the Brussels sprouts in the olive oil with the garlic and onion. You can also add a small amount of crumbled cooked bacon to it at the end. It does turn out well. In fact you can use this method (with or without the few raisins) for cauliflower, broccoli, sliced zucchini or yellow squash also. I usually only put the raisins with the Brussels sprouts. And sautéed fresh spinach in a small amount of olive oil with fresh garlic is one of my faves also. Same with sautéed shredded cabbage with a little bacon, garlic and onions. But then again, I just love vegetables so I am always looking for new ways to cook them. My DH is not so adventuresome with veggies, it has been a struggle to get him to eat more of them.

Now, how about turnip greens with diced turnips? Love those too, but it is hard to show me a vegetable I don't like. And yes, I eat meat, I am not a vegetarian!:)

The best brussels sprouts I have ever had were in the main dining room at Butchart's Gardens! They were amazing, each sprout had been taken apart into individual leaves, and then very quickly cooked, as you described, I tried to do it at home, it was still good, but it took an age to deconstruct all the sprouts until you had a huge pile of leaves only, no cores at all! I have never seen that done to them before, or after, either.

On the Statendam last spring (2013) they had Liver and Onions at least once (23 day cruise). I am not a fan but DH is. I was told it was very good.

One thing about vegetables like lima beans, many of us grew-up when only canned vegetables or locally grown fresh vegetables were available. Since many of us lived in areas where the growing time for vegetables was short, most of our early experiences were with commercially canned or home canned vegetables. At least in my experience, that is why it took me a long time to appreciate vegetables. They were always mushy and lacked distinct flavors.

When frozen vegetables became readily available a new vegetable world opened up for me.

Now of course most of us can get "fresh" vegetables year round, but they still are not as tasty as ones you pick and cook the same day, in my opinion.

I found the lambs liver at a farmers market in Atlanta. I have seen calves liver at local grocery stores. this is north of Atlanta. I am surprised grocery stores in other areas don't carry it. calves liver not lamb liver as it is harder to find

I thought the same about WF having calf's liver, but ours did not. We talked to the butcher who said they rarely if ever have it as they sell so little of it when they do get it in. We were surprised not to find it there.

I'll let you know if that is the same thing at my new Whole Foods. ;)

On the Statendam last spring (2013) they had Liver and Onions at least once (23 day cruise). I am not a fan but DH is. I was told it was very good.

One thing about vegetables like lima beans, many of us grew-up when only canned vegetables or locally grown fresh vegetables were available. Since many of us lived in areas where the growing time for vegetables was short, most of our early experiences were with commercially canned or home canned vegetables. At least in my experience, that is why it took me a long time to appreciate vegetables. They were always mushy and lacked distinct flavors.

When frozen vegetables became readily available a new vegetable world opened up for me.

Now of course most of us can get "fresh" vegetables year round, but they still are not as tasty as ones you pick and cook the same day, in my opinion.

Good point. When we were growing up, we had lots of veggies but it was very seasonal. In the northeast, some veggies were only available fresh during summer/fall months but, of courses, not now. There are cases when frozen vegetables are more nutritious than fresh. They are flash frozen immediately after harvest and retain vitamins and minerals more than veggies that sit on planes, trucks and trains for days before they are delivered cross country.

[/b]

I am 100% with Randy on this one.

Sails, surely you know that organ meat is one of the worst things for your heart? After his heart surgery DH was advised to never eat any kind of organ meat. Of course as a once in awhile treat anything should be OK in moderation.

the way I learned to cook Brussels sprouts was to slice the very thinly and sauté them in olive oil and butter with just salt and pepper. much better than the boiled I had to eat as a child. I do cabbage the same way

I found the lambs liver at a farmers market in Atlanta. I have seen calves liver at local grocery stores. this is north of Atlanta. I am surprised grocery stores in other areas don't carry it. calves liver not lamb liver as it is harder to find

We are also north of Atlanta, just south of you at 400/exit 8. I've checked Publix and Fresh Market, no calves liver either.

Sails, surely you know that organ meat is one of the worst things for your heart? After his heart surgery DH was advised to never eat any kind of organ meat. Of course as a once in awhile treat anything should be OK in moderation.

You are right. It is very high cholesterol but seeing DH and I both have very, very low cholesterol numbers, I figure liver once in five years won't kill either one of us. Moderation in all things is a good rule. My DH"s cholesterol is so low it is silly.

But thank you for the warning in case I did not know.

But it's also full of iron :)

I must admit I love veggies any way I can get them...sautéed, boiled, steamed, raw (in salads), and even fried. I prefer what I can buy fresh and seasonal, although I am partial to fresh broccoli and have to have it no matter what time of year. I will used frozen in place of fresh, but I am not too fond of canned vegetables. Like another poster said, sometimes they are too mushy and bland and not as much to my liking. My DH is opposite....loves the mushy canned ones, although he hates to admit it to me. I have tried to turn his opinion around and have succeeded to a small degree, depending on how the wind blows today :rolleyes:. I just hate it when we go to dinner and they serve some beautifully sautéed fresh veggies and he just pushes them around the plate and tries to avoid eating them, claiming he is "full" from eating all the rest of the meal!!! :( What do I do with him? I can't win.........not very often anyway!

Archived