Solo Travelers on Norwegian Crown

jeanaa

Hi All,

I am planning a solo cruise on Norwegian's Crown 09/04/05 from NY to Bermuda. I was wondering how comfortable the ship is for solo travelers - I'm female, 40s. Looking to meet a few travel companions to have dinner with, maybe share an excursion or two. Does anyone know, does Norwegian have a "singles traveler" get together like some of the other cruise lines? How is freestyle dining for solo travelers? Can I be seated at a large table with other passengers - or does freestyle suit passengers who prefer to dine only with their traveling partners?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Jeana

We sailed the Majesty last December - our first time on Norwegian. We ate all meals in the dining room and were always asked if we preferred a table for 2 or to share. We always asked to share. Sometimes we were put at a table for 4 and sometimes larger tables. So you should get to meet lots of people. And you usually get seated faster when you ask to share. We loved freestyle. We will be sailing the Crown repo in October.

I'm didn't travel alone, but I'm single-- and believe me, I was scoping out the scene when I was on board the Crown. (I'm ALWAYS looking- lol!) I noted that there were mainly older couples, some honeymooners, and a few families. I didn't see another single person in our age range. I wasn't there to meet my future husband, I was there to see Bermuda-- but it would have been nice to meet others (male and female) "in the same boat." :)

I shall be travelling alone on the Crown in December and I am looking forward to the holiday as a whole as I am very used to travelling by myself anyway. I shall also be alone on the Jewel shakedown next month too.

I go on holiday to see the sights and visit new places, making friends along the way is great and on board ship making friends is usually very easy imo.

NCL does have singles get-togethers, but they are not as well attended as those on other lines. It seems that very few singles go on NCL - I suspect it is the Freestyle concept -- been seated at a large table on a line which has assigned dining is perhaps the best way to meet people -- most lines will seat you with groups of singles your own age (HAL in particular) HAL also hasa great singles share program -- they match you with someone your own age (and sex, naturally) or they give you the cabin with no single supplement charge. Having sailed as a single a number of times, I have to say that NCL is the one line to avoid.

Thanks for that info on HAL. I never knew that! I will DEFINATELY be looking in to it. Will they match you up with a non-smoker?

Most of my travel buddies have gotten married on me, and it's getting more and more difficult to find travel destinations which do not slap on a single supplement.

Even Club Med is getting away from the single's trade, closing down most of its single's villages, and converting many to family villages (they're competing with Beaches now).

The only other options for vacationing as a single that I've found are the Windjammer Barefoot Cruises and some dude ranches. It's nice to know that I can go cruising alone too without getting slammed for $$$'s.

Sure with NCL would come up with a similar program. NCL.. are ya listening???

jeanaa,

Have to second what "oldnaverbanker" said. When I sailed on Carnival, we had a whole table of women! Boy, did we get good service from the wait staff!

When I sailed on HAL last year 2 ladies were paired up by the cruise line and shared the same cabin. Both my cabin mate and I are still in contact with them. One of the ladies was "adopted" by the table. Everyone looked after her -- she was a very sweet lady about 73 years old. She was very active and wanted to ride a "banana" on HAL's island. The staff talked her out of it. She was the only person on the nature walk. Both ladies were a lot of fun to be with even though there was a definite age difference. This was the older lady's first cruise ever. She really enjoyed every minute after the first sea day when she was sea sick. She told the cruise director she was so upset about missing her one opportunity to shake the Capt.'s hand at the formal night. Before the end of the cruise, the CD arranged for her to be introduced to the Capt. and have the ship's photographer take their photo together. She was so excited, she was shaking!

We found that unless you come with a group or a family, it is harder to meet other singles on NCL only because you don't have an assigned table. We always asked to share with others. We had some great tablemates when we shared. Unless you prearrange to eat with someone it is hard to find them again.

My cabinmate met a lady and her son while waiting for me to arrive at the port. It was on the 4 day at the buffet that she met them again and introduced them to me. We only saw them one more time after that. Being in port for 3 days in Bermuda it is very easy to get around without taking a ship's tour -- another way to meet people.

Whatever you do, enjoy!

MARAPRINCE

Archived