The Best Day Beach Day You've Ever Had at port in COSTA MAYA

ajtraveler66

This is for everyone who has spent a cruise day at port in Costa Maya.

I'll be on the NCL "Jewel" in February.

Whether cruise excursion or doing it on your own.....what is the best beach day you've had in Costa Maya. What made it special?

And while we're at it, if you've been several times....are there any unfavorable experiences (either with a ship excursion or own-your-own)?

I love Costa Maya! It's along walk from off the ship to the port area which is a very commercialized area but it is still nice. (it has all been rebuilt since Hurricane Dean demolished Cost Maya in 2007).

We usually take a $2 taxi ride to the little town of Mahajual which is only about 10 minutes away. It is like a boardwalk of shops and beach bars that face out towards the ocean. You can see your ship from here. The beach bars are all in a row....most charge $$ for an umbrella and chair but we found Tropicante. It is run by Steve (formerly from the U.S). If you contact him, he will reserve a beach chair and umbrella AT NO CHARGE!!! Who does that? Steve does. He does want you to purchase some food or drinks from him...which is easy to do and not that expensive. You pay as you go (or rack up a tab). We just ordered some frozen fruity drinks. He can also arrange all kinds of activities if you are interested. We rented some jet skis and had a ball. We saw a couple of sea turtles! It was the most affordable place out of all of our port stops. I want to say $50 for half an hour! Massages were like $10 - $20 bucks! The water is fairly shallow for a ways out which is nice if you have kids and its really warm! After we hung out here we walked back through the port area on our way back to the ship and bought souvenirs and they have a HUGE pool area right in the middle of it where my son promptly jumped in again! It was awesome and lots of fun! Probably the two things I like the most were 1) I didn't have to race off the ship because I knew the chairs were reserved and 2) it was the cheapest day of the whole trip! I'm not sure why people think that they have to pay the rates at the "exclusive" beach clubs when you can get a fairly similar experience for so much less.

We have been there several times.

Here are "my" thoughts...

My favorite day so far has been a place called Almaplena. It is simply gorgeous there. It's picture post card perfect. (You don't find this at very many places in Costa Maya that people visit). Beautiful beach and crystal clear blue water and very nice grounds. It is an AI and everything is included. I have a review of it in my signature (just click the link and go to that post listed). There are tons of pictures. It's just beautiful there.

Next favorite is Maya Chan. A lot of people on these boards go there. They will pamper you to death there. The food it totally AWESOME and the staff is A+. People go here over and over because of the staff. It is also and AI which includes everything. There is also a link in my signature for this place with another link within the review to additional pictures. My ONLY complaint of this place is the water. You will not find it to be the crystal blue Caribbean water. There is sea grass and it's a brownish color because of it.

Others on here recommend visiting places (like Nohoch Kay) in Mahajual. It's really close to the port and there are several places you can go there along the Malecon. We went to Nohoch and we really didn't enjoy the place too much. It's a small are along a beach with other places and not secluded like the other 2 places I mentioned. Everyone seems to enjoy their day there and rave about the staff, but we did not get this service that day. It also has the brownish/sea grass water as well, plus it's not really much of a beach for swimming (read my review and you'll see why and see the pictures).

What ever you decide to do, have fun! :) If you have any questions, let me know.

• 4 months later...
I can find the links for Maya Chan but can't find Nohoch or the other, can you direct me to them on the web? Does Maya Chan have alcohol included in the price? Its website says open bar..in states that means pay as you go :o)

Thanks!

For Nohoch, you book with one of the excursion places online (like Island Marketing or Costa Maya Excursions).

Yes, Maya Chan includes everything...your transportation, all the food you would like, all the drinks (alcohol and non-alcohol), games, sand toys (if you have little ones), canoes, snorkeling equipment (you get to keep your snorkel when you are done, they don't reuse them) and so on. It's a full package. :)

Hi, we were in Maya Chan Beach on Thanksgivng Day and really enjoyed it. They even made a special pumpkin drink for everyone! They were very professional in terms of payment and picking us up at the port. The attention, food, and all you can drink is worth it to me. Also each group gets their own private spot that has a swinging chair, hammack and bed to chill out on. Its perfect if you need a break from the sun. You can also use their floating chairs and sea kayaks. The water is not crystal blue but that doesn't take away from the experience or superb personalized attention IMO. Have fun! :cool: