Autistic Son

Christopher10

we are embarking on an upcoming Disney cruise with our three children and were assured by the company that our autistic son will have a great time. Has anyone else, cruised on the Disney Cruise line with an autistic child? How was the cruise? Did your child enjoy the cruise? was shipboard staff accommodating and understanding?

Have no personal experience with an autistic child, but have read of others who were pleased by how their autistic child was treated. Have travel DCL twice with my sister-in-law who has a communication handicap and the staff was excellent with her. There is another board that is devoted to all things Disney that you should try to Google. It has an entire forum devoted to how Disney parks and ships handle disabilities and another to DCL. I'm sure the folks over there could give you more information. I would post a link but I think it would be against this site's guidelines as the other site is sponsored by a TA.

I to have read many times of others who have taken their autistic children on DCL. All had much praise for the wait staff, and couselors and characters they are involved with. Just make sure you have as medical form from the cruis elines, signed by your doctor before your cruise and send it to them. They will make sure that the crew knows of your childs condition, so they can act accordingly.

Our 3 year old grandson is Autistic. He went when he was one, but he was so young that special attention was not needed. He will be going again with us in December and I'm fully confident that he will have a fantastic time!!!

mom x4,grandma x4

Hi there, our 9 year old Son ,Stephen, has Aspergers syndrome ( high functioning autisim) this will be his third cruise on the Disney Magic, he loves it, we can't get him away from the kids club! He loves the routine of things and knowing what is happening and when.

We are travelling on the August 20th cruise 2005 and are booked for Dec 06 also.

Only 4 weeks till we leave Australia and head towards the USA!

Our friends in Australia are so sick of us talking about the cruise and Disney World that they are comming with us..................there will be three Aussie couples and bringing with us a total of 6 little ones aged 18 months, 3 years , 5 years ,2 x 7 year olds and a 9 year old.

Take care stay safe, Shellie

Howdy from the U.S,

We are also booked on a December 2006 cruise. I believe it is the 2 or 3rd. Are you on the same cruise as us? I cant remember the exact date as we are doing 7 day back to backs at that time so we actually leave towards the end of november and then through the first week of December. Plus we are going with a large family group 12/ 17/ 2005. So I'm not good at remembering the dates. Also doing the 10 day at Christmas 2007.

Let me know if we are going on the same cruise.

mom x4,grandma x4

• 2 weeks later...
Have no personal experience with an autistic child, but have read of others who were pleased by how their autistic child was treated. Have travel DCL twice with my sister-in-law who has a communication handicap and the staff was excellent with her. There is another board that is devoted to all things Disney that you should try to Google. It has an entire forum devoted to how Disney parks and ships handle disabilities and another to DCL. I'm sure the folks over there could give you more information. I would post a link but I think it would be against this site's guidelines as the other site is sponsored by a TA.

This person is talking about disboards.com and I do not think that is a violation as I learned of this messageboard right here at cruisecritic. That board gets tons more traffic then here.

We took a 7 night Western Caribbean cruise last year and are going this year on the Eastern cruise. Our 7 year old (then 6) autistic son LOVED it and was treated like a PRINCE. They totally catered to him in the dining rooms, the children's activity areas, and all over the ship. It was wonderful and heart-warming. Without a doubt, I can think of no better vacation for him. I hope your son has similar success!

Great to see that other Families with Autistic Children have had as much fun as we have with our Son on the cruises with Disney. My Son has started the count down till we depart the Australian shores and head to the USA once again.

Stephen loves the routine, and being able to read what is happening for the next day and at what time , he has also met a few Aussie's who work in the Oceaneers lab and it is nice for them also to catch up on a bit of news from the land down under!

Looking forward to getting aboard.

Michelle

P.S. The only thing that really annoys my son on the cruise is the lifeboat drill, he doesn't like the feel of the jacket around his neck................and he sure lets me know about it! Then again, they really are uncomfortable and I probably feel the same as my Son , but just a little thing we have to put up with and hopefully never have to use while cruising!:eek:

The only thing that really annoys my son on the cruise is the lifeboat drill, he doesn't like the feel of the jacket around his neck]

Is it just anything around his neck? I'm not fond of the jacket either - I feel like it is strangling me - and I was thinking of bringing a light silk scarf or cotton cloth the next time to put between me and the vest. I use a soft towel when I am out on the sailboat and have to wear a lifevest.

Archived