Can't go on cruise - Military related HELP

cindobeast

OK now I'm confused. He's going to take his leave anyway but not go on the cruise with you???

We're in NJ now. He's gonna go back home to Massachusetts until exam date. Then go back afterwards.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - Cruise Critic Forum App

From one old Navy Chief to another I think this is the point where everyone just shuts up and lets the cards fall where they may with these young'uns. :D

The rest of us will just meet up at the Chiefs Club. Beers are on me.

Read this to my boyfriend, he said he wants to meet you lol

Cindo, I hope you don't feel that anyone here is unsympathetic, everyone sounds like they are trying to offer helpful suggestions. A lot of this thread is meant as a learning experience for you and others who wouldn't otherwise have considered adding the cost of trip insurance. All cruise lines operate this way, it's not unique to Celebrity. You almost never hear of them agreeing to let someone move a cruise last minute, no matter what the reason, and I personally suspect it's even less likely in September than during peak months. Think of the chaos if cruisers were allowed to change cruise dates easily, and who decides which reasons are sufficient? As others have said, go and try to have a good time with someone else rather than throwing all the money away. You know the old saying, "When one door closes, another opens."

I have found that the TWITTER verse gets the attention other reach outs do not

find out the hashtag for NCL first - then something

#NCL my boyfriend has a compulsory military date now that conflicts w/cruise and #NCL wont rebook us! help....

What kind of help do you mean? Do you mean trying to shame NCL into making an exception? NCL is not being mean or punitive; they are not doing something unethical or illegal. They are following their own policy because these types of last minute situations are not that uncommon. Is this more or less or the same importance as the death of a parent or other close family member? the house burning down? emergency surgery? a firefighter being called to one of the huge fires out west? another profession where the boss cancels vacation at the last minute? Military service is important and we should thank our service members. There is no question about that. It's just that there are many professions that are also ones of service and that are equally important. Clearly the cruise lines have decided that to be fair to one, they must apply policies equally to all.

That doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic or that I think "tough cookies, you didn't get insurance, so too bad." It would be a nice gesture if NCL allowed them to book a later date and pay the fare difference, if any. But if they give in to it because of a twitter outcry in this case, then they'll be expected to do so the next time and the time after that.

Just was hoping someone at NCL would have some sympathy based on the situation. And giving the options of not giving us credit for a cheaper cruise, paying more if I have to, etc.

Guess I'll wait and see when my TA's supervisor calls NCL..

I suspect that the individuals you and your TA have talked to have been sympathetic. How could they not be? But the policies are not about sympathy or whose situation should be granted an exception. That's a business decision and not subject to emotion, even though we wish it could be. Your situation is not unique, which I know you understand. In your later posts, it sounds as if you're resigned to this being a learning experience and moving on. If you do end up going on the cruise with your father, I hope you have a truly memorable time. It could be a great experience for you, especially as dads tend to miss their "babies" even when those babies are full grown adults with families of their own. Your father could easily treasure this time with you for the rest of his life. (Geez, I sound like a Pollyanna, don't I? I guess I'm just trying to see the silver lining.)

beachchick

beachchick, you've stated what I want to every time someone has a situation that's dire and they need to change/cancel. Thank you.

OP: if your Dad goes with you (and I hope he does), please make sure you make the change ASAP. It is my understanding you can't call the day before and make changes to the reservation. I think it may be 48 hours. Don't quote me, but I don't want you to get stuck. Decide, bite the bullet and add him to the reservation. I don't want you doubly disappointed.

beachchick, you've stated what I want to every time someone has a situation that's dire and they need to change/cancel. Thank you.

OP: if your Dad goes with you (and I hope he does), please make sure you make the change ASAP. It is my understanding you can't call the day before and make changes to the reservation. I think it may be 48 hours. Don't quote me, but I don't want you to get stuck. Decide, bite the bullet and add him to the reservation. I don't want you doubly disappointed.

Going with my Dad, making the name change today.

I wish you a wonderful trip...:D Having some quality time with your Dad is special.... AND please thank your BF for his service.

As said earlier, they did NOT revoke his leave. He can still go on leave. But, they appear to have scheduled the exam with little notice - or he did not notice the notice.

In any event, this is similar to what so many of us go through in life. Important meetings, events, job interviews, family crisis, personal issues, illness, etc. The cruise line has these rules for a reason - they need the ship to sail as full as possible.

It sucks, but it is just the way it is. (getting deployed would of course be way different)

So actually, his leave is not revoked and he is still allowed to go but if he does, he loses his chance to test for E-5 for another year? Sounds like the choice is his.

Sorry but someone is not being truthful here. Having served in the US Navy for 10 years myself and now my son is serving onboard the Lincoln I can say without a doubt that rating exams do not "pop up". They are scheduled regularly and well in advance. They also do make up exams for people not available.

Leave is leave its either approved or not and they dont make people come back across the country from leave to take an exam, that is just nonsense.

Hey, my daughter was aboard the Lincoln prior to her refit (the Lincoln, not my daughter :D). I agree, things don't just "pop up" and I've never heard of a "mandatory" formation for promotion testing. You may give up your chances for promotion that year but that's about it.

His leave was approved, then he found out about the exam. I asked him again today if there was any make up or anything he could and he said there wasn't. So I'm giving all the info I was told...

Not being able to "make it up" is not the same as "you are required to be here whether you are on leave or not". He just loses his right to be able to test for promotion for the year.

Yep. Don't know if we have different leave approval processes from the Navy, but in the AF, you can't even submit your leave into the system for formal approval until 2 weeks prior.

OP, I would suggest getting a letter from your guy's boss - it may help. I had a cruise booked a few years ago - and had insurance - when I got a short-notice deployment to Iraq. My insurance wouldn't pay - claimed 'act of war' (jerks) - but all others involved (airline and cruiseline - American Airlines and Carnival) refunded my non-refundable money with a 3-way call to my commander as proof. I didn't expect it and was pleasantly surprised. Hopefully things work out for you guys and they let you at least shift your trip by a bit.

Don't know if that's a new change (retired 2002) but I always put my leave requests in at least 3 months out, usually 6 month. It takes at least a month for the NCOIC to sign it and get it up to the CO! ;)

As a retired Navy Chief I will tell you that your boyfriend who has an approved leave chit is authorized to take a make up exam at a later date. If anyone is telling him different they're mis-informed. Tell him to talk to his Chief and if that doesn't work to take it to the CMC. There's a reason they call it the Chain of Command.

Spot on Chief! :)

Not being able to "make it up" is not the same as "you are required to be here whether you are on leave or not". He just loses his right to be able to test for promotion for the year.
True that. But if he is interested in a career he won't be able to make up the lost year for the promotion list. Kind of "same as" in that respect.

It does sound as if it is his chief or commander that is saying take it now or lose the opportunity for now. (I believe the retired chiefs were saying the tests are given 2x year so maybe 6 months.)

And if he is looking toward a career it's a no brainer. Take the test!

JMHO

Charlie

So actually, his leave is not revoked and he is still allowed to go but if he does, he loses his chance to test for E-5 for another year? Sounds like the choice is his.

From what I know, he can't just not take it if he doesn't want to. He'll get in trouble I think.

I know it's not what you originally planned, but I hope you can go and enjoy it. The Gem is a beautiful ship and I found the staff to be exceptional.

Don't know if that's a new change (retired 2002) but I always put my leave requests in at least 3 months out, usually 6 month. It takes at least a month for the NCOIC to sign it and get it up to the CO! ;)

Interesting! I've been in 20+ years now, and haven't had the joy of needing the CO to sign off on my leave. :) Supervisory approval is all that's needed. You can 'project' your leave, but it doesn't get officially signed in the new AF-wide computer system until 2 weeks prior. I think even when I was enlisted, the only time the CO signed off on leave was for convalescent leave. Or when the CO was my actual supervisor. :)

He paid for half.

Ok, that sounds better then. Sorry, I was a little skeptical after reading everyone else's posts, and I thought maybe he was playing you. If he paid his own share, then he must really need to be there. Also, if he needs to wait another whole year to be promoted if he misses this test, then he definitely should take the test! I know you will have a wonderful time with your dad!! Father-daughter dates are the best!!

2.5 years. ET2 exam not chiefs.

Since this is his first time having to take a test for advancement he probably didn't realize when the tests where.

He wont get in trouble if he misses the test

He will miss out on PNA points and comment section of his eval. Which can limit his career if he wants to be a lifer. Besides the chain likes motivated sailors.

Sorry to hear he cant go but glad your dad was able to fill in.

Was there any fee to change names

Since this is his first time having to take a test for advancement he probably didn't realize when the tests where.

He wont get in trouble if he misses the test

He will miss out on PNA points and comment section of his eval. Which can limit his career if he wants to be a lifer. Besides the chain likes motivated sailors.

Sorry to hear he cant go but glad your dad was able to fill in.

Was there any fee to change names

When I talked to NCL when they called me, they said there would be no charge to change a name. So hopefully there's no surprises when I do it!

When I talked to NCL when they called me, they said there would be no charge to change a name. So hopefully there's no surprises when I do it!

I do not think there will any surprises. Generally as long as one name remains from the original reservation, others can change with reasonable notice. Since your name remains, substituting dad for BF should be fine. have your travel agent do it ASAP, though. Time is growing short.

I hope you and your father have a wonderful, memorable cruise. And I hope BF's family visit and test go well.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Officially going on the cruise with my Dad. He lit up when I asked him to go with me. Luckily, he was able to take a week off work on such short notice. He is so excited, because this will be his first cruise ever. He's already booking excursions and doing his own research.

I'm not going to make my Dad pay for the full half, but telling him to only give me half of the ticket price. This will be an early Christmas gift for me (he better buy my drinks at least! Haha)

My boyfriend, Adam, is disappointed he can't go on the cruise but is happy that I get to go with my Dad and knows it will mean a lot to him.

Adam is keeping his leave to go home to Massachusetts until he has to come back to base in NJ to do his exam on the 12th.

After all this, now I know.... to always get travel insurance!!!!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Officially going on the cruise with my Dad. He lit up when I asked him to go with me. Luckily, he was able to take a week off work on such short notice. He is so excited, because this will be his first cruise ever. He's already booking excursions and doing his own research.

I'm not going to make my Dad pay for the full half, but telling him to only give me half of the ticket price. This will be an early Christmas gift for me (he better buy my drinks at least! Haha)

My boyfriend, Adam, is disappointed he can't go on the cruise but is happy that I get to go with my Dad and knows it will mean a lot to him.

Adam is keeping his leave to go home to Massachusetts until he has to come back to base in NJ to do his exam on the 12th.

After all this, now I know.... to always get travel insurance!!!!

Glad it worked out...There will always be cruises, but it sounds like missing this test could have a long term impact on his career in the services. Dad will be happy. You will have a fabulous time regardless:p

You can always plan for another with him(BF), and go BIG next time! :D #spendingotherpeoplesmoney

Archived