Disney Customer Service

Host Mick

(Moved from Gambee's spectacular review so as not to hijack it.)

Service 10/10

It is fair to say that Disney's service is the benchmark for all the other cruise lines that I have been on. NCL for should be taking notes and putting their employees through a more rigorous process on how to treat customers. I also spoke to a few crew members that all expressed the same feeling, working for Disney has been their best experience in the cruise line industry. Maybe by taking extra care of your staff that shows in how they handle your guests. We never encountered any issues with the staff at all. I also noticed that this cruise never had a line for the customer service desk, and you rarely saw people there. I could not say enough good things about the crew in Disney Cruise Line.

I'm not surprised.

I just got through with two weeks at Walt Disney World staying at Saratoga Springs and while I was traveling there, I read a book by the Disney Institute called Be Our Guest - Perfecting the Art of Customer Service. In it, the Disney Institute people explain in some detail how they deliver standard-setting customer service and a consistent quality product. They start with their mission statement "To Make People Happy" then break it down into Safety, Courtesy, Show and Efficiency then they break those down into a deliverables matrix. For Disneyphiles, it's fascinating stuff and in the parks, I could see how the well trained cast members delivered on this all day, every day.

An interesting thing is that Disney doesn't make this a secret. They have seminars where other company's management teams can learn how to do this from the Disney Institute. Others can use this book to help with their customer service efforts.

Edited by Host Mick

I was a corporate recruiter for years and did a great deal of hiring for customer-facing positions (high volume recruiting). Whenever I encountered someone who worked for Disney I would be excited!

"Disney Trained" was actually a field I added to my database; these recruits understood the fundamentals of providing an excellent customer experience. I always enjoyed hearing their Disney stories, too.

Thanks, Disney! :)

And now I get to experience your magic on our first Disney cruise in 2014..... :D

I was blessed in my very first job to work with a number of people from the Disney organization. I learned a lot about customer service from them and I think it helped make me a better employee in my own organization and in jobs I've had since. Disney does it right!

Before our Disney cruise last December, we visited WDW. It was my first visit ever. I was absolutely amazed by the organization and the Cast Members. If you were standing looking at your map, a CM would walk up and ask if they could help. There were CMs to welcome you and thank you for visiting. The drivers of the buses that took you back and forth were friendly and smiling. I began to wonder if the cruise could possibly top that but it actually did. Disney really knows how to do customer service right!

How did you get to see that?

Surely that is in a Crew Only area?

ex techie

Sometimes when you're taken as a guest to meet the Captain on the Bridge, you're taken through crew areas that otherwise might not be seen by passengers. On the newer ships, I believe there is also a private viewing area that some people are invited to go to.

We've had the pleasure of winding through quite a few corridors over the years.

I agree that on the whole, for the most part, DCL has superb service.

I also think, though, that it can be hit or miss sometimes, everywhere you travel.

The one area where I do believe that NCL has a big step up and ahead of DCL is in the concierge/butler suites. In that area, Disney could still stand to learn a few things from Norwegian. Both in service and in amenities, and the suites themselves.

I agree that on the whole, for the most part, DCL has superb service.

I also think, though, that it can be hit or miss sometimes, everywhere you travel.

The one area where I do believe that NCL has a big step up and ahead of DCL is in the concierge/butler suites. In that area, Disney could still stand to learn a few things from Norwegian. Both in service and in amenities, and the suites themselves.

This is also an area where there is a HUGE difference between the "classic" ships and the newer ships. On the newer ships you have the concierge lounge and sun deck...and there is no one that compares to PJ (concierge manager on the Fantasy.)

I know PJ, and yes, he's a great guy. But we've had excellent service from all of the concierge hosts and butlers we've had on NCL. And Disney's hot sun deck doesn't come close to the Garden Villa pools, hot tubs, saunas, exercise rooms and the shaded canopy loungers. Plus you can have a private dinner served there. It's beyond compare.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Sometimes when you're taken as a guest to meet the Captain on the Bridge, you're taken through crew areas that otherwise might not be seen by passengers. On the newer ships, I believe there is also a private viewing area that some people are invited to go to.

We've had the pleasure of winding through quite a few corridors over the years.

I can't see the original post that you quoted, but can work it out. You in your response are correct we were invited. More details in my Alaska blog. We were in the private officers area.

I know PJ, and yes, he's a great guy. But we've had excellent service from all of the concierge hosts and butlers we've had on NCL. And Disney's hot sun deck doesn't come close to the Garden Villa pools, hot tubs, saunas, exercise rooms and the shaded canopy loungers. Plus you can have a private dinner served there. It's beyond compare.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Agree, I know most of the concierge hosts, are one in Alaska earlier this month was out host in 2010' and they do seem go recall a lot, as soon as she saw me she said are you putting your nice door magnets up? Knowing I do this. PJ I know more from Palo, where without looking at any booking he would call me by name which was impressive, he either does a lot of research on photos of cruisers or has a great memory. He will say welcome back and the exact last date of my last vist at palo.

This is also an area where there is a HUGE difference between the "classic" ships and the newer ships. On the newer ships you have the concierge lounge and sun deck...and there is no one that compares to PJ (concierge manager on the Fantasy.)

I agree the new ships and the concierge lounge and facilities there make concierge with it, it would be nice to have it added somehow to the classic ships. Maybe bump the arcade out.

Yes sorry it's a poor photo with reflection and I spotted it at the last moment.

No need to apologize! Loved seeing the pic. Found these rules by doing Google search:

1. Make eye contact and smile

2. Greet and welcome every guest

3. Seek out guest contact

4. Provide immediate service (recovery)

5. Always display appropriate body language

6. Create dreams and preserve the “magical guest experience”

7. Thank each and every guest

No need to apologize! Loved seeing the pic. Found these rules by doing Google search:

1. Make eye contact and smile

2. Greet and welcome every guest

3. Seek out guest contact

4. Provide immediate service (recovery)

5. Always display appropriate body language

6. Create dreams and preserve the “magical guest experience”

7. Thank each and every guest

Thank you thats interesting.

Not only does DCL provide great customer service while on board, but also over the phone.

We normally cruise with Princess or Celebrity. Due to the itinerary and special occasion, we booked a DCL cruise at the last minute and our T&A made a few errors on our reservation. It was after business hours, I decided to call DCL directly in order to be able fix the errors. With other cruise lines, the answer I would have received would be, please contact your T&A directly since they have control over your booking.

With DCL, I called and was able to fix the DOBs and spelling of the name of one of the passengers.

Not only does DCL provide great customer service while on board, but also over the phone.

We normally cruise with Princess or Celebrity. Due to the itinerary and special occasion, we booked a DCL cruise at the last minute and our T&A made a few errors on our reservation. It was after business hours, I decided to call DCL directly in order to be able fix the errors. With other cruise lines, the answer I would have received would be, please contact your T&A directly since they have control over your booking.

With DCL, I called and was able to fix the DOBs and spelling of the name of one of the passengers.

A name correction might be the only exception.....normally, Disney won't touch a reservation that's held by a TA. If your reservation is with a TA, you can't even go online with DCL and make payments.

I agree the new ships and the concierge lounge and facilities there make concierge with it, it would be nice to have it added somehow to the classic ships. Maybe bump the arcade out.

It would have been even better if they'd added the swimming pools and all the other amenities that NCL has. A concierge lounge isn't a make-or-break deal thing for me, and DCL's open (hot!) sundeck isn't either.

But a private pool, saunas, hot tubs.......ahhhhhhhhh!

Agree, I know most of the concierge hosts, are one in Alaska earlier this month was out host in 2010' and they do seem go recall a lot, as soon as she saw me she said are you putting your nice door magnets up? Knowing I do this. PJ I know more from Palo, where without looking at any booking he would call me by name which was impressive, he either does a lot of research on photos of cruisers or has a great memory. He will say welcome back and the exact last date of my last vist at palo.

We found this to be true with all of the Palo managers. PJ was great, and Marco was AWESOME!!!

Also found that many of the other CM's remember us, from the CD's to dining room servers.

I think that's just a matter of how many times you've cruised on the same ship/cruise line, and how well known you make yourself.

When you have one of the "premier" suites, they make it their business to remember. I have a feeling that not too many people who cruise in the inside cabins would have the same recognition. In other words, I don't think that's so much of a "service" plus, as it is a "suite" plus.

A name correction might be the only exception.....normally, Disney won't touch a reservation that's held by a TA. If your reservation is with a TA, you can't even go online with DCL and make payments.

Well, that was all I needed, name correction and birth date. This was necessary in order to make reservations for excursions via DCL's WEB site.

Regardless, I was a happy camper to be able to fix this expeditiously on a Friday night without having to wait until Monday morning.

I am not suggesting that my TA is a bad one. This was an honest mistake where letters and numbers got mixed up after calling late to make the reservation.