Goff's Caye question please :)

Bobug

We have been to Belize twice...did the cave tubing first time & snorkeling with the sharks & stingrays the second time. We are going again in Feb. (our first time with NCL) ...we are wanting to go to Goff's Caye but we are wanting to be able to snorkel on our own & not be in a big group...can this be done? What excursions are available?

Thank you so much ....happy cruising :)

We have been to Belize twice...did the cave tubing first time & snorkeling with the sharks & stingrays the second time. We are going again in Feb. (our first time with NCL) ...we are wanting to go to Goff's Caye but we are wanting to be able to snorkel on our own & not be in a big group...can this be done? What excursions are available?

Thank you so much ....happy cruising :)

Just booked Goffs Caye through island marketing. Doesn't look like there is much out there,... One of the reasons we picked it. Snorkeling equipment is included in our trip... They say y up can go on your own... But it doesn't look like there will be a ton of people out there anyway... It's basically a bump of sand in the middle of the water.

We are planning a trip to Goff's Caye when we cruise on the Legend in Nov. We were there 3 years ago & it was definitely a highlight of our cruise. The island is very small with very limited amenities; but it was perfect for our beach day. We sat on the beach eating our $10 lobster tail meal & smiling the whole time. You can choose to snorkel from the shore if you do not want to join the group. By the way, the photo that island marketing has on their website is of me & my daughter on the beach at Goff's Caye 3 years ago. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way..just happened to be there the day they were taking pics for their website.:)

We have an excursion booked to Goff's Caye also through Island Marketing for next month (Carnival Dream). It looks perfect for what our family is looking for. All of the reviews I have read have been terrific! I have read that you are able to snorkel on your own or go with the group, equipment, purified water and rum punch (yum!!!) is included. We can't wait!

Just booked thru island marketing. I am so worried cause I have never been on a excursion outside of carnival. We will get to the port at 6am or so local time and won't be leaving till 9 local time which of course is a time difference than ship time. Did y'all have plenty of time to get back to the ship or did you have to rush like crazy?

If you book a tour through on of the highly recommended tours on this forum, then "no worries". They are professional and keep good track of the ship hours. Think about it... They'd be out of business as soon as someone posts "XXX didn't make it back to the ship in time" and you haven't seen anyone suggest that about your tour company.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

Just booked thru island marketing. I am so worried cause I have never been on a excursion outside of carnival. We will get to the port at 6am or so local time and won't be leaving till 9 local time which of course is a time difference than ship time. Did y'all have plenty of time to get back to the ship or did you have to rush like crazy?

Don't stress over it. We always book non-ship excursions & have never had a problem. I always go with recommended ones that I have found here on CC. Last time we went to Goff's Caye, we checked in with the Island Marketing group, then had a little time to shop in port before we left for the caye. When we go back from the caye, we had a little more time to shop before the last tender. You should be fine.

• 5 months later...

We did this snorkel excursion back in October. I was really looking forward to it. Island Marketing and it's staff was terrific! However, the boat you head to the Caye in is awful, in my opinion. It is enclosed (you have no choice) and I felt very claustrophobic. It takes about 35 minutes by boat to get to the Caye. The Caye itself is beautiful and the food you can purchase is delicious (fresh lobster tails). The rum punch was free flowing and very good too. The snorkel equipment wasn't great and my husband and I, along with our daughter had equipment that was broken. My son's was fine though and he enjoyed the snorkeling, our guide was great! We had a wonderful day other then the boat ride there and back. Not sure I would do this excursion again but overall it was good.

I've done the excursion as well. We just went with somebody holding a sign in port but judging by the above description of the boat it was probably the same company. I thought the island was pretty, the food good and reasonably priced. The water was gorgeous but I didn't enjoy the snorkeling that much but they told us a storm had come through not long before so maybe that was true.

This is one excursion where it may be best to book through the cruise. It's a little more money but they leave straight from the ship. Own your own you leave the ship, tender to port (about 15 minutes) and then hop in a boat to take you right back out past the ship. The extra money might be worth it to avoid the tendering hassles if you have no interest in Belize City which a lot of people don't like. (Personally it's been one of my favorite stops)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would definitely take the ship excursion if offered, you are picked up and dropped at the ship, no tendering to port. Also no waiting in line to get off the ship as you are picked up at a specific time.

You can snorkel with the group or go off on your own if experienced. Beautiful little beach and a lunch. You'll also have time to go into port after a shower if you want that.

Great day on Goff's Caye!

We went to goffs caye thru island marketing last month. It was great.

You can snorkel from the beach. They specifically said you could if you wanted. But most people go for the boat ride and snorkel with the group.

For the posters that were worried... We were back with plenty of time. We had a lot of time to explore the port area if we wanted. No worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I booked this but now having second thoughts because of the boat that takes you to the island….my daughter can not be in an enclosed boat she will get sick, seasick meds do not work for her so that is out, she has to be in the fresh air. It appears the boat the cruise line has is an open cat, can anyone comment on this? thank you.

Honestly, if your daughter does not like enclosed boats, this might not be the right tour. I just assumed (incorrectly) that it would be an open air boat as that is what we are used too. On the Island Marketing excursion you walk down a few steps into the enclosed hull. There are windows above your head but you are not allowed to stand so you cannot see out them. For me personally, it was uncomfortable. However, I will say that Island Marketing was great and very professional.

Lily, what did you book, the ship excursion?

The ship excursion with the boat that picks you up from the ship involves an enclosed boat, not a cat or a sailboat. Very few boats are open in Belize because you are looking for speed and protection. Can't help you regarding your daughter I'm afraid, not sure if she would have a problem or not.

I read that the boat that picks you up from the ship and heads to Rendevous Caye or another Caye is open though, check that though. The reviews on the Carnival site are helpful too. You may want to read the reviews to see if one particular excursion includes a more open boat.

I booked with Island Marketing, I RARELY book through cruise line as the one time I did it was like herded cattle and a total waste of precious time. I have had good and not-so-good experiences with outside tours. I try to do a thorough job reading reviews and researching options, getting much better at the whole planning thing. My first time to any port is always nerve racking, I am one of those psychotic planners that needs to find the most unique place at any port because I never know if I will make it back….fortunately we are not thrill seekers and just finding a beautiful spot with sand and water is all it takes. We are true beach bums….i will stick with my original plan as it is the shorter of the two distances for boat travel. Did you post pics in a review somewhere?

Actually the shortest travel time in the boat would be from the ship (through the ship excursion) rather than tendering into port and boating from there. Much better option, and you'd have plenty of time after to take a shower and tender into port if you wanted. We rarely book excursions through the ship but sometimes it's a no-brainer.

Note that some tenders are also fully enclosed and are exactly like the boats that head out to the Cayes.