SEA-TAC - Hotel - Pier - back to SEA-TAC

R Prim

We always arrive the day before we sail and we have never been to Alaska or Seattle. I see almost no mention of taxis and I am beginning to assume they are not the best mode of transporation. We will need to get from the airport to a hotel (wherever that is going to be), from the hotel the next day to the cruise port and then following the cruise back to the airport. There will be 6 of us. Thanks in advance!

Depends on what time you are flying in and if you have time to sight see in Seattle. I would not stay at SeaTac Hilton or another hotel by the airport if you want to see any of Seattle. The area around the airport is just hotels and airport parking areas and is not safe after dark. [Except for Cedarbrook which is Awesome and has a free shuttle from the airport] There are plenty of taxi's around. Though we always use ABC Transportation town cars which are cheaper than the taxis and nicer. If you tell me more about your plans for coming in, I can make some more suggestions for you, if you would like.

Depends on what time you are flying in and if you have time to sight see in Seattle. I would not stay at SeaTac Hilton or another hotel by the airport if you want to see any of Seattle. The area around the airport is just hotels and airport parking areas and is not safe after dark. [Except for Cedarbrook which is Awesome and has a free shuttle from the airport] There are plenty of taxi's around. Though we always use ABC Transportation town cars which are cheaper than the taxis and nicer. If you tell me more about your plans for coming in, I can make some more suggestions for you, if you would like.

Thanks for your help. Our plans right now are for May next year. The ships sails on the 13th and we will come in either the 11th or 12th so not a lot of time to see Seattle but a little. We usually try and get a hotel that offers airport transporation and located somewhere between the airport and the cruiseport to keep the cost down to go to the cruiseport. Will look at Cedarbrook.

Thanks for your help. Our plans right now are for May next year. The ships sails on the 13th and we will come in either the 11th or 12th so not a lot of time to see Seattle but a little. We usually try and get a hotel that offers airport transporation and located somewhere between the airport and the cruiseport to keep the cost down to go to the cruiseport. Will look at Cedarbrook.

If you are coming in a day or two early, I would suggest that you stay closer to downtown where the action is. I would suggest using ABC Transportation, town cars and they are cheaper than the cabs in town 206 242 0102 - suggest the Hyatt Place Downtown, Homewood Suites or the Hampton Inn - all have a breakfast that is included in your stay

We stayed 1 day before cruise at the Doubletree near airport and then 4 days following a the Holiday Inn Express. Great location for sight seeing and you could even walk to some nice things. Take the overhead tram, ect.

We used Ace Transportion (206-387-7000) for transfers to cruise terminal / airport. They were able to take all of us (5 people) & a handicap scooter. Great people and very easy to work with. Gave us the best prices as well & I totally shopped for that.

• 2 months later...

I am flying into Seattle the night prior to our cruise on the carnival miracle. There will be 6 of us. Would I have to book one of the earlier suggestions prior to our trip or are they already at the airport?

I am flying into Seattle the night prior to our cruise on the carnival miracle. There will be 6 of us. Would I have to book one of the earlier suggestions prior to our trip or are they already at the airport?

Ace or abc transport?

Shuttle Express has service to downtown hotels. Even if they don't go to your specific hotel, perhaps they stop within a block or 2: http://shuttleexpress.com/

Otherwise Yellow Cab and Stila Towncars have the contract for service at the airport, therefore have vehicles stationed there at all times.

I used flatrateforhire for my last trip. They offered a great price but mostly have Prius cars so don't know how they would manage 6 people other than have 2 cars. Check their web site.

Only hotels near the airport offer airport shuttles in Seattle, and there aren't many places to stay "between" the airport and downtown (the piers are in downtown, 66, and just north of downtown, 91). Any places between SeaTac and the Stadium area, I wouldn't stay at unless you are looking to meet some of Walter White's customer base.

If you are going to enjoy Seattle, you should stay downtown. If you are just looking for a place to flop, the airport area is fine. As a local, I can't say much about the various hotels in the SeaTac area. I stayed at the Red Lion once on a Stay, Park 'n Fly deal when I had an early morning flight. It was fine, nothing special.

Edited by zephyr17

Due to the distance, you are not going to find downtown hotels that offer free airport transportation, and as above, the airport area is not a place to stay if you want to see Seattle. There are less expensive places to stay downtown that are still close to the attractions people usually want to see, and which can be reached by cab from the airport and then to the port. You generally can't go wrong if you book through an on-line discount service and select only a 3 or 4 star hotel downtown as well. A number of large downtown hotels are easy to reach using airport bus shuttles such as Downtown Airporter:

http://www.portseattle.org/Sea-Tac/Parking-and-Transportation/Ground-Transportation/Pages/Bus-Shuttle-Courtesy.aspx

We have also used flatrateforhire.com for pre-booking cabs from the airport to the port or hotels in Seattle (and back again) with great success.

I've never cruised out of Seattle, but I'm a local. I'd suggest get a downtown hotel if you can. There won't be free transportation from the airport, but I'd never want to stay in a hotel off International Blvd by the airport. Horrible area! If you're in a pinch and have to stay in that area, I'd suggest Red Lion. But I'd avoid it if you can.

Cool Cruiser, are you familiar with the Sleep Inn by the Airport? Highly rated on Trip Advisor but some of the comments on these boards are making me a bit nervous. They have a shuttle from the airport and it will also take us to the rail if we decide to go downtown. There are two other couples going with us, so no decision yet, we just always fly in the day before a cruise so there is no stress or problems.

Thanks!

Edited by backheidi

The light is an excellent option for those folks that want to stay out by the Airport. But be forewarned the area around Sea-Tac Airport is not a place you want to be roaming around at night. If the motel you’re staying at has a scuttle that will drop you off and pick you up at the light rail station I’d go for it. I would not walk anywhere on International Blvd after dark.

I've never cruised out of Seattle, but I'm a local. I'd suggest get a downtown hotel if you can. There won't be free transportation from the airport, but I'd never want to stay in a hotel off International Blvd by the airport. Horrible area! If you're in a pinch and have to stay in that area, I'd suggest Red Lion. But I'd avoid it if you can.

Ummm...I have lived in SeaTac for over ten years--not far off International Boulevard, as a matter of fact. It's not exactly exactly the center of the Puget Sound universe--most of the popular tourist sights are closer to downtown. And the part of International Boulevard north of Highway 518 can be a little skeevy--but that's not where you'll find most of the chain hotels that tourists are likely to be looking at, anyway. South of Highway 518 are any number of perfectly decent place to stay if you have a late arrival, or an early departure, or you have plans south of Seattle, or you're looking for a bargain. I have put my elderly mother and her sisters in a hotel there, and I would recommend it to anybody else.

"Horrible area"? I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I don't share it.

Ummm...I have lived in SeaTac for over ten years--not far off International Boulevard, as a matter of fact. It's not exactly exactly the center of the Puget Sound universe--most of the popular tourist sights are closer to downtown. And the part of International Boulevard north of Highway 518 can be a little skeevy--but that's not where you'll find most of the chain hotels that tourists are likely to be looking at, anyway. South of Highway 518 are any number of perfectly decent place to stay if you have a late arrival, or an early departure, or you have plans south of Seattle, or you're looking for a bargain. I have put my elderly mother and her sisters in a hotel there, and I would recommend it to anybody else.

"Horrible area"? I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I don't share it.

Okay, let me rephrase - as someone who works in law enforcement, I don't consider it to be a nice area. The violent crime rate there is double the state average. Property crimes, too. But you're right, it's absolutely a matter of opinion. I've stayed off International Blvd a couple times, and while our hotel stays weren't bad, our vehicle was broken into once.

• 2 weeks later...

We're flying into Seattle on Thursday for a cruise leaving on Saturday. We have never been in Seattle before and wanted to do a little sightseeing. Posts I have seen are discouraging me from renting a car due to hotel parking rates, attraction parking rates, and the walkability of the downtown area. That being said, I'm looking for a moderate priced hotel for 2 nights, near the downtown area, that might have shuttle for the airport (or possibly just use an airport shuttle service). I'm guessing we would need to take a taxi to port 91?

Any suggestions?

We're flying into Seattle on Thursday for a cruise leaving on Saturday. We have never been in Seattle before and wanted to do a little sightseeing. Posts I have seen are discouraging me from renting a car due to hotel parking rates, attraction parking rates, and the walkability of the downtown area. That being said, I'm looking for a moderate priced hotel for 2 nights, near the downtown area, that might have shuttle for the airport (or possibly just use an airport shuttle service). I'm guessing we would need to take a taxi to port 91?Any suggestions?

Downtown is 1/2 hr drive from the airport so downtown hotels don't have free shuttles. Hotels around the Seattle Center tend to be cheaper than downtown. Look at Hampton Inn, Quality Inn, Holiday Inn in that area. Although you won't be downtown, you can walk to the Seattle Center and catch the monorail for a 3 minute ride downtown.

Look at Top Questions on the Seattle forum of Trip Advisor for hotel info.

Airport hotels are cheaper and most provide a shuttle. You can take the Light Rail from the airport to downtown for $3 and 40 minutes. Obviously not as convenient as staying downtown but it's an option to consider.

If you can manage your luggage easily, on the day of your ships departure you can take the light rail into town then catch a cab to pier 91. A cab from anywhere downtown will be about $20 to pier 91.

We're flying into Seattle on Thursday for a cruise leaving on Saturday. We have never been in Seattle before and wanted to do a little sightseeing. Posts I have seen are discouraging me from renting a car due to hotel parking rates, attraction parking rates, and the walkability of the downtown area. That being said, I'm looking for a moderate priced hotel for 2 nights, near the downtown area, that might have shuttle for the airport (or possibly just use an airport shuttle service). I'm guessing we would need to take a taxi to port 91?

Any suggestions?

I will be taking the Golden Princess to Alaska toward the end of May. I have searched daily for a reasonable rate. When I thought I saw a few possibilities,when I entered my date, the fares really jumped up. ( $110+ over the first listed price ) I didn't want to stay at Sea Tac but I found a very good deal this am and made a reservation. I will still keep looking in case prices go down but meanwhile I have a reservation that I can cancel up to 2 weeks before arrival. I will be at the Hilton Seattle Airport and Conference at 17620 International Blvd. For 2 double beds AAA rate was $115 + taxes. I looked for package plans from there.They had a lot of choices but I found what I wanted ,pre cruise to pier

( per person value is $12 ).Seattle express will be picking us up at the hotel. I have to call the hotel a week before but I will try earlier to let them know I am on the plan for Sat am transport and ask for the earliest time to Pier 91 for Princess. So that would have added $24. The room rate with transport to the pier is $131 + taxes $147.24. They also pick you up for free from the airport. Our flight is supposed to land before noon. So plan will be to check in and take the light rail train into Seattle . Evidently the light rail station building is next to the hotel. Probably will return to the hotel dinner time since my day will start with a 2:30 am wake up ! Good luck. If you find a great deal downtown please post.

Sali