Sprint Cell Phones

Whirlwind

I spoke to a Sprint representative last week and was informed that there is service in Alaska. She didn't seem too knowlegable when I tried to check into the specific locations: Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican. She just kept repeating that there is service in Alaska.

So your plan allowed for a one time $5 roaming fee and then you used your minutes plan with no extra fees? Then do you call when you get home and pay another $5 to switchback to non-roaming? What is the process for resuming normal service? Thanks

So your plan allowed for a one time $5 roaming fee and then you used your minutes plan with no extra fees? Then do you call when you get home and pay another $5 to switchback to non-roaming? What is the process for resuming normal service? Thanks

Last year that is what I did (and I had no roaming charges). I just called back when I returned and they took it off. Last year, I didn't have a contract with Sprint.

This year (I now have a contract) - I added it and they told me to call back when I got back and they would remove it. Apparently they changed the computer system when I returned and it wasn't as easy this time. They wanted to extend my contract if they removed it. I am near the end of my contract so I decided just to wait it out. Now, I have another friend who did the same thing and they were able to successfully remove it this year - I have no clue what they did differently or what I did wrong this year.

Just back from our trip. No regular service in Canada, Ketchikan, Skagway, or Denali. Did have good service in Juneau and Fairbanks. Had a bit of service when going through Anchorage on the Denali Express but it didn't hold well.

We have an old service plan (no contract) that gives us "free" everything within their areas. We pay no roaming as long as it is Sprint local service. We just got our bill for the period we were away and no roaming or long distance charges. That worked out pretty good.

The Sprint PCS Free and Clear Plan is the one that includes roaming and the rumor is that it will no longer be available as of 7/7 (from http://www.sprintusers.com).

So you did get service everywhere, but it was just roaming at some points?

I had to look - I have "free and clear" but paid $5 extra to add "Free and clear America" which includes roaming. Don't you just love these plan names?

I used the phone in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan but didn't pay attention if I was roaming or not.

July 7 2005 - Supposedly if you are on a free and clear plan they will not force you to change, but the plan will not be availble for any new subscribers or people wanting to change to it.

Is there anything special about this plan? I actually like the Fair and flexible better but didn't want to sign a 2 year contract and they wouldn't let me go with that plan with a 1 year contract.

Archived