Liberty Tours Jamaica, Custom Tours from Falmouth?

sundayb

Novice & Rosebud1g...

I just got off the phone with Ricardo ... told him how highly recommended he was ...and we just booked our private tour with him for our trip in December!

Thank you so much for your recommendations -- I know we'll be in very good hands!

Novice ... Ricardo remembers you well... says hello!

That is good to hear Pebbles. If you are disappointed with Ricardo, I'll eat my camera! ;). I hope you have an amazing time. Where are you going to visit when you go to Jamaica?

We are on the December 15th Sailing ....

Although, I heard back from Jamaica Phil and there is a $200 difference for the same excursion.. huge difference...

I realize Ricardo is fabulous, but $200 difference is a lot!

I have some thinking to do ... and have to be clear that this is the exact same thing...

Decisions...

We are on the December 15th Sailing ....

Although, I heard back from Jamaica Phil and there is a $200 difference for the same excursion.. huge difference...

I realize Ricardo is fabulous, but $200 difference is a lot!

I have some thinking to do ... and have to be clear that this is the exact same thing...

Decisions...

I don't want to sway you (Go with Ricardo), but it is important to make the right choice (Go with Ricardo). At the end of the day, it is your holiday (Go with Ricardo). :p. But seriously, whatever you decide, I hope you have a good time. Also, don't forget to read the reviews on Tripadvisor regarding Jamaica Phil. As well as cost, reputation is important.

I don't want to sway you (Go with Ricardo), but it is important to make the right choice (Go with Ricardo). At the end of the day, it is your holiday (Go with Ricardo). :p. But seriously, whatever you decide, I hope you have a good time. Also, don't forget to read the reviews on Tripadvisor regarding Jamaica Phil. As well as cost, reputation is important.

Good points Novice. Pebbles,Another thing to ask Phil- what is the entrance cost to Secret Falls? I heard the price went up from when we were there.

I would contact Ricardo again and let him know what Phil has offered, he may make an adjustment.

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I want to book a tour through Liberty Tours and we are trying to decide between 3:

1) Irie Blue Hole + Lunch

2) Dunn's River Tours + Irie Blue Hole

3) Irie Blue Hole + Ocho Rios Highlights

If anyone has done any of these tours, I would really appreciate your input on what you thoughts were about it :) Thanks in advance!!!

~Katrina

***I also called the tour company just to get a little more information on each of the tours and there was a girl/woman who answered and she asked me if the number I was calling from was a good contact number for me and I said yes....and then she said she is going to have to call me back :confused: and this was at least an hour or so ago. Has anyone experienced this also???

Novice & Rosebud...

Yes, the lower fee was inclusive of the cost for both lunch as well as entrance to the Secret Falls. It also included highlights along the way and additional stops for shopping or the beach.

In any case, I added a third quote with another tour company because now I had a low and high quote ... the third company also came in at the same low amount as Jamaica Phil.

All three companies were recommended out here in CC as reputable tour companies, and offer the exact same tour.

Hey Everyone!

My husband and I want to book a tour through Liberty Tours and we are trying to decide between 3:

If anyone has done any of these tours, I would really appreciate your input on what you thoughts were about it :) Thanks in advance!!!

~Katrina

***I also called the tour company just to get a little more information on each of the tours and there was a girl/woman who answered and she asked me if the number I was calling from was a good contact number for me and I said yes....and then she said she is going to have to call me back :confused: and this was at least an hour or so ago. Has anyone experienced this also???

DON'T worry! Ricardo or Rob will call you back as soon as they can. They may be out on a tour since they operate them every day of the week, even on weekends. I know when we were at Secret Falls, cell service and internet was slow.

What port are you docking? If you are in Ocho Rios, you will have more time to do more activities and see more sites!

Even though we docked at Falmouth on Allure, we were able to fit in Secret Falls, shopping, sight seeing at Shaw Park, drop off 2 ppl in our group River Tubing, pick them up, then Scotchies for lunch.

I would choose Secret Falls over Dunns- having been to both.

Ricardo can customize your tour to what you want- this is the beauty of using LTJ over the others out there that have more people on buses.

Scotchies was excellent and NOT to be missed IMO!

Novice & Rosebud...

Yes, the lower fee was inclusive of the cost for both lunch as well as entrance to the Secret Falls. It also included highlights along the way and additional stops for shopping or the beach.

In any case, I added a third quote with another tour company because now I had a low and high quote ... the third company also came in at the same low amount as Jamaica Phil.

All three companies were recommended out here in CC as reputable tour companies, and offer the exact same tour.

I know Phil has buses that hold 15 people and 30. Ricardo took us with 8 people.

I'd personally rather be in a smaller group, but you have to choose what works best for you.

Hey Everyone!

~Katrina

Now that I am on my desk top and not my phone, I see you are Cruising IOS, so that means docking at Falmouth??? What is the time schedule you will be docked? On Allure we docked 10am to 7:00pm. This gave us pretty much the whole day in Jamaica. We returned to the ship at 5:30pm and looked around the shops there.

Novice & Rosebud...

My next questions are... is your group the only group travelling with Jamaica Phil or the other company? If not, will all the other people he is carrying be going to the same destinations as you? If your party has finished at one location, how long will you have to wait before setting off for the next port? Will your tour guide disappear and come back a couple of hours later? Or will the tour guide wait for you until you are ready to go and leave when you want to leave? Ricardo is a tour guide who will give your party your full attention and doesn't operate a drop off service, disappear, and return after a time suitable for him or other people. You get what you pay for. I would be interested in knowing how personal the service is from Jamaica Phil and the other tour guide. If the other tour guides (other than Ricardo) can offer a better personal service than Ricardo at a cheaper price, bite their hands off quick. And please do enjoy your time and let us know how it goes. :)

Now that I am on my desk top and not my phone, I see you are Cruising IOS, so that means docking at Falmouth??? What is the time schedule you will be docked? On Allure we docked 10am to 7:00pm. This gave us pretty much the whole day in Jamaica. We returned to the ship at 5:30pm and looked around the shops there.

I believe we are going to be there from 8am to 4pm :)

Let me say this... I have not been asked by any company to endorse them. I am also not out to ruin anyone's reputation either.

After reading the threads and recommendations, I contacted Liberty because so many were thrilled with his services. The initial cost via email came in at $400 for private tour to Secret falls was way too much for 2 adults and 2 children. I then received a wonderful phone call from Ricardo, he was very pleasant and I enjoyed speaking with him. He came down on the price to $350, but wanted to make it a small group of 8.

The next day, I heard back from Jamaica Phil and will do a completely private car to secret falls, lunch and highlights along the way at Columbus Cove and I also mentioned the fire breather ... the price is $180.

I then decided to contact Courtney Taylor, another reputable and highly recommended tour company on these boards. The Secret Falls, private tour with highlights and lunch ... $180.00.

Now we are staying in a suite on the ship, therefore, I am by no means looking to low ball or opposed to spending money. I am only saying there seems to be a rather large discrepancy between the high and low prices.

I realize that there are devoted followers of Liberty, as well as Courtney Taylor and also Jamaica Phil. I am not endorsing any one company.

I am only stating that although there are devoted followers and trying to help out the company they have toured with previously. Do your homework find out from other companies out here if they offer the same thing...

For us ... Liberty did not work out. That's not to say they won't for someone else.

Let me say this... I have not been asked by any company to endorse them. I am also not out to ruin anyone's reputation either.

After reading the threads and recommendations, I contacted Liberty because so many were thrilled with his services. The initial cost via email came in at $400 for private tour to Secret falls was way too much for 2 adults and 2 children. I then received a wonderful phone call from Ricardo, he was very pleasant and I enjoyed speaking with him. He came down on the price to $350, but wanted to make it a small group of 8.

The next day, I heard back from Jamaica Phil and will do a completely private car to secret falls, lunch and highlights along the way at Columbus Cove and I also mentioned the fire breather ... the price is $180.

I then decided to contact Courtney Taylor, another reputable and highly recommended tour company on these boards. The Secret Falls, private tour with highlights and lunch ... $180.00.

Now we are staying in a suite on the ship, therefore, I am by no means looking to low ball or opposed to spending money. I am only saying there seems to be a rather large discrepancy between the high and low prices.

I realize that there are devoted followers of Liberty, as well as Courtney Taylor and also Jamaica Phil. I am not endorsing any one company.

I am only stating that although there are devoted followers and trying to help out the company they have toured with previously. Do your homework find out from other companies out here if they offer the same thing...

For us ... Liberty did not work out. That's not to say they won't for someone else.

Hi Pebbles, I appreciate you are not trying to ruin anyone's reputation. Whilst my experience has only been with Ricardo, I just wanted to create a balanced argument and try and understand why Jamaica Phil and Courtney are able to offer their services so cheaply. However, bear the following in mind.

To get into Secret Falls, it will cost around $20 per person. (It may be cheaper for the kids, I don't know, so I will assume it costs $20 per person unless someone can correct me). So that's $80 for the entry. Then you have Scotchies, which may cost around $10 per person. So that is $40 for the whole family of 4. I don't know how much it would cost to get into Columbus Cove. Let's say $10 per person. Another $40 to the cost.

The total cost of entry is now around $160 for a group of 4 people. So that leaves $20 to $60 for the driver, before tips. I accept that there are some assumptions in the prices I have quoted for Scotchies and Columbus Cove, and you may be happy with paying $180 all in, but I just wanted to make sure that you understand the overall cost. Phil and Courtney maybe able to offer you the tour at next to nothing ($20 to $60), but it does make me wonder why would anyone offer an excursion at next to nothing. If you are happy with this arrangement, then I am happy as well. Please don't take my stance as a criticism of or an attack on you or anyone else. I am not saying that you must chose to go with one tour guide over another. At the end of the day, who you chose to go with is up to you. I just want to make you aware of the maths and possible issues you may encounter. I hope you are offered a genuine private tour with Phil or Courtney, whoever you decide to go with. :)

If anyone thinks 2 adults and 2 children going from Falmouth to Secret Falls, highlights and lunch in a group of 8 is worth paying $400 ... then by all means .. GO!

I am a bit confused. Were you quoted $400 for 4 or 8 people? If you were quoted $400 for 8 people, at $50 per person to take you from Falmouth to Ocho Rios and back (1 hour 30 minutes travelling time in total), up to $160 entry fee to get into Irie Blue Hole, $80 (approximately) for food (that's $240 and that doesn't include petrol), and lets say a conservative estimate of $80 for 8 people to get into Columbus Cove, that's a total of $320. I wonder how Phil is able to offer you the tour for 8 people for $180?

While the debate has gotten to the level it has...

All tour companies are wonderful out here... we have no issue with any of them.

My only concern was the price differential.

Pebbles, my concern is also the price difference. I am wondering why you have been quoted by Courtney and Phil such a low rate when the entry costs to the excursion exceeds what you are paying them. You said buyer beware in your previous post. I just looking for clarification as to how the 2 cheap tour guides are making their money. If you are confident that you will get an excellent personal service at the $180 mark and that your party is the only passengers, then great. I am not convinced you are the only party travelling with Phil or Courtney, and if you are, I am not convinced that the entry fees are covered. I just want to make sure you are not in for a shock when you go to Jamaica. To use your quote.... Buyer beware. I have no issues with you, I just want to make sure that you are going to have a good time in Jamaica, and your cruise, and that you are not in for any hidden surprises.

Thank you for the concern, but the tour was for 2 adults and 2 children.. The cost of entrance does not exceed. We were asked to be part of a group of 8 only paying for our 4 .. No issues.

My point was expressed as a view that was obviously different from others.

Please worry no further.. Whatever we decide, I'm sure we will enjoy!

Edited by Pebbles468

Thank you for the concern, but the tour was for 2 adults and 2 children.. The cost of entrance does not exceed. We were asked to be part of a group of 8 only paying for our 4 .. No issues.

My point was expressed as a view that was obviously different from others.

Please worry no further.. Whatever we decide, I'm sure we will enjoy!

If you do decide to go to Ocho Rios with Phil or Courtney, I hope you have a great time, and please do provide us with some feedback as I think it would be important for us to bring closure to this whole issue about costs. Even with 4 people, I am concerned about the margins being so low with Courtney. However, as I said, enjoy your cruise in December, and if you do a review (Live or Post), I look forward to reading it.

As I said before on this post I DON'T agree that prices should be disclosed or even discussed on here. NO TOUR is exactly the same and has the same number of people going. I think LIBERTY TOURS JAMAICA is fabulous and is getting a bad name by all this price discussion. SO PLEASE STOP RIGHT NOW. NO MORE TALK ABOUT PRICES. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Novice, I am not gearing this towards you so please dont take my comments the wrong way, I think your previous posts are very nice and well said about LTJ.

As I said before on this post I DON'T agree that prices should be disclosed or even discussed on here. NO TOUR is exactly the same and has the same number of people going. I think LIBERTY TOURS JAMAICA is fabulous and is getting a bad name by all this price discussion. SO PLEASE STOP RIGHT NOW. NO MORE TALK ABOUT PRICES. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Novice, I am not gearing this towards you so please dont take my comments the wrong way, I think your previous posts are very nice and well said about LTJ.

I personally think it's important to discuss prices, especially in this forum. Many find out on these boards whether or not they are getting a fair deal this way. Isn't that what many out here do to find out about price discounts and share info about the cruise lines as well??

Just because you don't like sharing, doesn't mean others don't appreciate it.

We are new out here and planning a cruise. It's important for us to see good reviews as well as bad and make an informed decision. It's been helpful to see someone who has a different view and pose alternatives. So much is manipulated out on the internet, it's refreshing to see someone with an actual view on things.

Edited by Sailing Misty