Special Assistance Desk for Embarkation??

bannerboxer

Has anyone used the special assistance desk for embarkation?

How does it work? Will we get on the ship without waiting in the huge waiting area?

My fiance and I and another couple will be on the Carnival Victory in January. My fiance suffers horribly from PTSD and has huge fears of crowds where people stand behind him.

I know the cruise itself is going to be trying, but with the 3 of us we hope to try to make my fiance feel safe enough to enjoy himself.

This will be our 3rd cruise with carnival but the last 2 where before he had his injury and has since developed his PTSD. I just want to know what to expect. I want to be able to get him through the mess and on the ship so we can find somewhere where he will feel safe while everyone is boarding.

I would suggest contacting the special needs dept. It sounds like he should also try and do the separate muster drill so he won't have to be in that large throng of people for so long. He can be in a nice comfy lounge area sitting instead of pressed against a wall with thousands of others...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There isn't a special check in line for special needs. After general checkin you will be allowed to sit in the handicap boarding area, but with so many people claiming handicapped this area is also crowded.

I would suggest that if it's available you either purchase faster to the fun, or just plan on arriving at the pier after the morning rush has cleared out.

By 2 or so the terminal building is farely empty.

Bannerboxer, I agree buy FTTF if you can. It is 49.99 per cabin. We have booked suites before and loved how you go to a private room for check-in. After that you go sit in VIP line also not crowded. It has never took long to get on the ship,but since your already booked your cabins get FTTF.

Even the VIP lounge has become crowded though with the additional FTTF people that have been added to the platinum and diamond crowd. On my last cruise, the lounge was packed with standing room only. And since it is a small area, it may be more problematic than the wide open check in area because it is enclosed.

I think if it is that much of a concern, you might want to think about a different type of vacation. Cruise ship areas can become very crowded, especially on sea days.

I read a thread, maybe about a week ago, about a family with an Autistic son, and he was the same way....couldn't deal with the crowds. I know the Guest Service and Special Services were a tremendous help to him. They had a more "private" Muster Drill, so they were not with 1000 other people. She said the Carnival Staff was AMAZING!!!!!!! Give them a call...I am sure they can help you. Enjoy your cruise!!!!:D

Even the VIP lounge has become crowded though with the additional FTTF people that have been added to the platinum and diamond crowd. On my last cruise, the lounge was packed with standing room only. And since it is a small area, it may be more problematic than the wide open check in area because it is enclosed.

I think if it is that much of a concern, you might want to think about a different type of vacation. Cruise ship areas can become very crowded, especially on sea days.

I'd tend to agree. Crowds are avoidable, but you have to work at it...

What exactly can a special needs passenger expect. I'm booked for Dec., but solo, from Port Canaveral. My problem is unseen on the surface but can walk freely once on board because I can sit often to relieve the pain. I need to get a suitcase to a porter from the drop off van and not stand in line for long periods. I don't see how FTTF will help, I still need to get the suitcase there.

I'm due for a procedure this month to hopefully diminish the discomfort, but not sure how well it will work.

I agree with contacting Carnival... not so much about embarkation or the muster drill....but crowds for Carnival are really bad for debarkation. The hallways and elevators seem to be clogged even when you are zone 1 or self debark. To me this is the most stressful part of the cruise because I hate being stuck in a crowd with seemingly no escape. Just keep that in mind when you talk to Carnival.

RuthlessBoss, rent a rolling walker with a seat. No matter how long or short the line, when you need to sit you can. My parents traveled with them for years. We were able to hang handbags on the handles and put a small tote on the seat, so it lightened their load as well.

Carnival employees were a tremendous help getting them on and off the ship. The walker can stay in your room when you feel you don't need.

No airline fee for the walker either. FEEL BETTER AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP.

Porter's should be curbside to pick up your luggage.

What exactly can a special needs passenger expect. I'm booked for Dec., but solo, from Port Canaveral. My problem is unseen on the surface but can walk freely once on board because I can sit often to relieve the pain. I need to get a suitcase to a porter from the drop off van and not stand in line for long periods. I don't see how FTTF will help, I still need to get the suitcase there.

I'm due for a procedure this month to hopefully diminish the discomfort, but not sure how well it will work.

Your driver should off load your luggage to a waiting porter. You just need to tip them. If you don't have FTTF, then just get there about 1 pm because there is no place to sit before security and after 1 pm, pretty much walk on.

RuthlessBoss, rent a rolling walker with a seat. No matter how long or short the line, when you need to sit you can. My parents traveled with them for years. We were able to hang handbags on the handles and put a small tote on the seat, so it lightened their load as well.

Carnival employees were a tremendous help getting them on and off the ship. The walker can stay in your room when you feel you don't need.

No airline fee for the walker either. FEEL BETTER AND HAVE A GREAT TRIP.

Porter's should be curbside to pick up your luggage.

I have a rolling walker with a seat (I kept it when the person I was caring for died). As much as I detest using one, perhaps that will help with the carryon. It's hard to give in to using one:o

Wow, good luck and I'm sorry for your fiancé.

If it's not already paid for, I'd consider a different vacation, or a smaller cruise line.

There are crowds everywhere on a ship with around 3500 passengers: meals, shows, pools, on and off at ports...what is he planning to do if he can't have people behind him:confused:

Maybe a houseboat rental on Lake Powell or a beach cottage in Maui would be easier for him, and then you'd all be able to enjoy your vacation.

I have a rolling walker with a seat (I kept it when the person I was caring for died). As much as I detest using one, perhaps that will help with the carryon. It's hard to give in to using one:o

Last week I ruptured a cyst in my leg. My parents both died this year and Mom's walker was in the garage. The only way I could walk was with that walker. It felt funny to need it but it was a lifesaver. Take it with you and have a great time.

Last week I ruptured a cyst in my leg. My parents both died this year and Mom's walker was in the garage. The only way I could walk was with that walker. It felt funny to need it but it was a lifesaver. Take it with you and have a great time.

I agree about it feeling funny, but anything I can use for any support helps. Shopping baskets in a store has been a life saver, even taking things to the car. It's just enough pressure relief in the low back when walking.

I agree about it feeling funny, but anything I can use for any support helps. Shopping baskets in a store has been a life saver, even taking things to the car. It's just enough pressure relief in the low back when walking.

I always grab a shopping cart in a store. Definitely helps with back pain. For years my Dh teased me about practicing for my walker years. As long as I'm here to have them!!

The past two times on the Fantasy, there was a separate check-in for those individuals in wheelchairs, walkers, scooters, etc. I used it both times. Once we checked in there, we by-passed the stairs and photo area, and went straight around the corner to have our photos taken and to get on the ship.

I did contact the Special Needs department prior to both cruises because of my mobility issues.

Has anyone used the special assistance desk for embarkation?

How does it work? Will we get on the ship without waiting in the huge waiting area?

My fiance and I and another couple will be on the Carnival Victory in January. My fiance suffers horribly from PTSD and has huge fears of crowds where people stand behind him.

I know the cruise itself is going to be trying, but with the 3 of us we hope to try to make my fiance feel safe enough to enjoy himself.

This will be our 3rd cruise with carnival but the last 2 where before he had his injury and has since developed his PTSD. I just want to know what to expect. I want to be able to get him through the mess and on the ship so we can find somewhere where he will feel safe while everyone is boarding.

My experience with Carnival and military is amazing. Call the special needs department ahead of time. My husband is retired Air Force and we want to thank you both for your service. As a military spouse I know it takes both of you to make the family work! Enjoy your cruise.

Archived