Sailing from San Juan....alcohol purchase

rabbit72

We're going on the Valor at the end of the month and sailing from San Juan...does anybody know if you are allowed to purchase alcohol from the shop at the pier and bring it on with you? I have heard conflicting stories about this...we were able to do this on Princess and heard that CCL allows it....can anybody confirm this for sure??

Thanks,

Brenda

We're going on the Valor at the end of the month and sailing from San Juan...does anybody know if you are allowed to purchase alcohol from the shop at the pier and bring it on with you? I have heard conflicting stories about this...we were able to do this on Princess and heard that CCL allows it....can anybody confirm this for sure??

Thanks,

Brenda

You are allowed to bring one bottle of wine per adult on with you only during your initial checkin. If you go back off the ship before it sails and purchase alcohol or wine it will be confiscated as you reboard the ship and given back to you at the end of the cruise.

You can make a purchase with no problem. When you make your purchase and go through security, they will tell you to check your bag in. If your purchase is in a backpack, they'll put a tag on it. The table to check in your liquor is wayyyyyyyyy down past security, almost at the embarkation door. Simply bypass the table. They're not strict or paying much attention at all. I saw many people bring on their duty free bags with no problem. Have a great cruise! This was my favorite itinerary yet. :D

I cruised out of San Juan a few years ago so the rules may have changed but at that time you could buy as much as you wanted and it ALL came on board with you! I even bought stuff to bring home expecting them to take it and nope, took nothing from us. Did not direct us to the booze table just said nothing.

The duty free shop even pushed you to buy more, buy one get one bottle for $5 or whatever.

Thanks for your responses. I know the actual rules for whay you can bring but wasn't sure about them allowing you to bring any other alcohol, ours was confiscated last year. When we sailed on Princess they made an announcement in the terminal that whatever you can fit in your carry on bag you'd be allowed to take to your cabin, now this is going back a few years and I know they've become more strict.

We are wondering the same thing as we are sailing on Carnival out of San Juan in Jan. The last time we sailed out of San Juan was on Princess and after we went through security there was a duty free liquor store. We were able to buy whatever we wanted because our bags had already been checked. Many passengers bought 1 bottle as a test run and then went back off the ship with a backpack and bought more. Carnival docks at a different location though so we're wondering how that works?

We ended up with 8 bottles of wine in our cabin with 2 people. Brought the initial bottle each during embarkation and then got off the ship, went back through the terminal, bought two more bottles and got back on. Did that 2 more times and had enough for our 8 day repositioning cruise back in January.

Rule states that you must turn over any Liquor purchase to be kept until the end of the cruise.

What can be done is a different story. We just got back from spending 7 spectacular days on the Valor. I learned from GAPearl that you can try to get a bottle of Duty Free liquor on the boat. Whilst shopping in the Duty free shop in the San Juan port, the sales associates will tell you ALL the info you need to know about how to get it back on the ship. No need to wait, ill give you all you need to know right now.

1st - Arrive at port - Smile, giggle, you are about to go on a FUN 7 Day cruise.

2nd - Give bags to Porter, say bye to them for a few hours.

3rd - Go wait in line to check in and get your Sail & Sign cards.

4th - Walk thru duty free shops, make any purchases you would like.

5th - Go thru security, HOLDING your purchases. They will tell you to make sure you hand them over to the Carnival staff once aboard the ship.

6th - Walk out of security area, onto LONG hallway where you will most likely wait in a short line to go thru final ID check before walking onto boat. This is where you will then take your purchases, and stuff into a backpack or purse of choice.

7th - simply walk onto the ship, go to your room that will be ready about 1:30pm. And enjoy your vacation, with a little head start in the beverage department.

Works everytime!

Rule states that you must turn over any Liquor purchase to be kept until the end of the cruise.

What can be done is a different story. We just got back from spending 7 spectacular days on the Valor. I learned from GAPearl that you can try to get a bottle of Duty Free liquor on the boat. Whilst shopping in the Duty free shop in the San Juan port, the sales associates will tell you ALL the info you need to know about how to get it back on the ship. No need to wait, ill give you all you need to know right now.

1st - Arrive at port - Smile, giggle, you are about to go on a FUN 7 Day cruise.

2nd - Give bags to Porter, say bye to them for a few hours.

3rd - Go wait in line to check in and get your Sail & Sign cards.

4th - Walk thru duty free shops, make any purchases you would like.

5th - Go thru security, HOLDING your purchases. They will tell you to make sure you hand them over to the Carnival staff once aboard the ship.

6th - Walk out of security area, onto LONG hallway where you will most likely wait in a short line to go thru final ID check before walking onto boat. This is where you will then take your purchases, and stuff into a backpack or purse of choice.

7th - simply walk onto the ship, go to your room that will be ready about 1:30pm. And enjoy your vacation, with a little head start in the beverage department.

Works everytime!

Thanks soooo much was looking for somebody that was actually just off and see how it worked. I will try this for sure.

Archived