Favorite Itineraries of the Past

What was your favorite itinerary that is no longer offered today?

During the earlie 1980's the Cunard Countess, sailing out of San Juan to the southern Caribbean, had two itineraries and alternated each week. This was great for back to back cruising and they encouraged b to b by offering the second week at half price. We took advantage of this twice and those trips were our most enjoyable. We also miss the ships in the size range(17,000 - 25,000 ton) of the Countess, Sun Viking and others.

Back in the late 70's - Commodore Cruise lines Caribe ran great itineraries to Cap Hatien, Haiti, Santo Domingo, DR, and Montego Bay, Jamaica... my parents brought back some great souveniers from that cruise.....

• 2 weeks later...

:) I was on Cunard's Franconia back in the early 70's. It went out of NYC to Bermuda. It was small enough to dock right in Hamilton on Front Street and would stay there for 2 1/2 days. You were out at sea a day and a half, then had a few days to explore Bermuda beaches, night life, used the boad as a hotel, and then instead of getting on a plane with vacation over, you left Bermuda with another 1 1/2 days of fun. Today the boats try to go to too many places and you don't get to see more then the shops.

• 4 weeks later...

My best itinerary was on the Dolphin Line. It was a 7 day partial Panama Canal transit. Leaving from Aruba, we did the Canal, Cartegna Columbia, and the San Blas Islands. We went thru the locks on the Atlantic side and then we sat in the middle of Lake Gataun for the rest of the day and then exited the same locks that night. That Dolphin cruise was the best I have ever been on. At that time they were using Apollo for their provisions and the meals were the most enjoyable of any cruise I have been on yet.

Back in 1982 we sailed HAL's Volendam to Barbados, arriving Friday morning and leaving late Sunday afternoon. Some people got off in Barbados and flew home and others got on in Barbados for the return trip to FLL. Wish they would do something like this again.

• 1 month later...

Archived