Lido salad bar etc--vegan-friendly?

pawsplus

The MDR (main dining room) regular dinner menu always has at least one vegetarian selection which is often but not always vegan. We don't request the special menu, but vegans should. Ask at the beginning of dinner for both the next night's regular menu and the vegetarian menu. You may have to remind again at the end of the meal. You will need to make any special selections before you leave the MDR. I suggest requesting both menus because I've found veg selections on the regular menu often more freshly prepared.

Thanks! That sounds great. :)

People on CC probably think I yak a lot about being vegetarian, but we do not. I've always disliked discussions of diet etc. at meals. I try to keep any requests unobtrusive. Cruise ship choices are much better than most restaurants even for vegans. Just don't expect a whole lot. People told me before my first cruise that I'd have lots and lots of choices. Not really so and so I spent some time being unhappy. Now I know what to expect, am delighted that HAL has expanded veg choices, and simply enjoy having at least more choice than most restaurants give me.

I too am careful not to make a big deal of my eating. I just choose where I go with care and plan ahead, which is what I'm trying to do here, basically. If worse comes to worst I can always hit a grocery story in Skagway (surely even a tiny place like Skagway has one of those, right? ;-)).

You are welcome, Sail. I didn't want to get into a "food fight" but I had to tell it like it is..........good healthy food is expensive, it is the cheap crap that is not. Vegetarians like to claim that produce is inexpensive, and their way of eating is more frugal. I really can't see where the truth in that lies, unless you own your own farm, or are near to a local farm that gives you the best stuff at a reduced rate. The produce I buy takes a big chunk of change. And there are wonderful vegetarian recipes out there, but they are sometimes labor intensive to cook and some of the ingredients and spices are hard to come by. I think vegetarian eating is great, but I don't necessarily think it is inexpensive. JMHO.

It depends on how you eat. I do not make anything complicated--all my meals are prepared in 10 min or less--and my grocery bill is small. It's very easy to spend a lot of money as a vegan and to eat in a very unhealthy way--it's also possible to eat ideally and spend very little. Just takes a little learnin'. ;-)

For those who require additional dietary assistance on the ship, what happens when you stay in a hotel? Do you go to All Inclusives? How do you manage? Do hotels usually publish separate menus for you, prepare special dishes, have you pre-order for celiac etc Discuss vegan special cooking? I'm really serious. This is not meant as a criticism in any way but really a curiousity for information. Do hotels, restaurants, etc make special effort in the ways cruise ships seem to?

I rarely stay in hotels, but when I do I don't eat there. I try to stay in rooms with fridges and, if possible, microwaves. I find restaurants nearby where I can get what I want (veg sushi, baked potatoes, salad bars). I also find a grocery store and purchase food that I can put together into a meal. One of my fave quick meals is a bag of frozen brown rice (nukes in 4 min) with a can of no-salt-added beans and a can of no-salt added tomatoes (or, alternatively, some salsa). Mix, nuke, and eat half. The other half is for another meal. It's surprisingly tasty and satisfying. I also take McDougall Right Foods soups and oatmeal with me (I remove them from the packaging and put in labeled ziplocks for ease of transportation). I always have fruit on me.

Your self-discipline is admiral.

Of course, it limits your choices dramatically but it's good you know how to navigate

and get what you require. I can't say we've ever stayed in a hotel room with a microwave but I've heard places such as Embassy Suites may have them.

All the best to you. :)

Thanks everyone! I'll go see someone in the kitchen when I get there and discuss the issue. I just figured I wouldn't want to bother them and would rub along on my own but we ARE paying a lot for this cruise so I guess it's not out of the way for them to make some kind of effort. :-)

I think this may be the post referenced where you mentioned you would go see someone in the kitchen.

It is post # 27 in this thread..... I mention this only because you 'sort of' asked in Post #50.

Where did I suggest that I was going to walk into the kitchen and start making demands?? I originally said I was planning to just eat salad and my own soup and deal with it the whole week. A few people encouraged me to speak to the staff, and my HAL chat discussions w/ customer service have given me the same impression--they ARE happy to make some changes with a little notice. How is that making demands???

It depends on how you eat. I do not make anything complicated--all my meals are prepared in 10 min or less--and my grocery bill is small. It's very easy to spend a lot of money as a vegan and to eat in a very unhealthy way--it's also possible to eat ideally and spend very little. Just takes a little learnin'. ;-)

I am glad you found a frugal way to make your meals. Make sure you look at Retired Mustang Dave's live TA thread here and check out the vegetarian meals to see if they would fit into your eating plan.

Thanks everyone! I'll go see someone in the kitchen when I get there and discuss the issue. I just figured I wouldn't want to bother them and would rub along on my own but we ARE paying a lot for this cruise so I guess it's not out of the way for them to make some kind of effort. :-)

Where did I suggest that I was going to walk into the kitchen and start making demands?? I originally said I was planning to just eat salad and my own soup and deal with it the whole week. A few people encouraged me to speak to the staff, and my HAL chat discussions w/ customer service have given me the same impression--they ARE happy to make some changes with a little notice. How is that making demands???

Here is your post. Were you just going to walk into the kitchen to say hi then?

Now there's an idea on how to get a private tour of the galley. :)

I'm not sure how one would actually get through the doors and make an entry but.......

No kidding:D. This thread is a bit much for me. I need to look away.

Me too, but not for the same reasons. I cannot believe how judgmental people can be when someone asks a question but might not phrase it exactly as the 'regulars' here might like. This is OP's first cruise, and she chose HAL. I wouldn't blame her if she never sailed the line again. Fortunately, she'll learn that the atmosphere and people on board are nothing like what she's encountered here.

She said she'd go to the kitchen and discuss what can be done. So that is interpreted as barging into the kitchen and making demands? Cut some slack people. As someone told her, she should talk to the dining room manager, and notify HAL in advance.

I'm glad I've cruised HAL before as the negativity here would make me think the experience is stuffy, nasty, and just plain miserable.

Flame away.

Upwards to 2000 people are ALSO paying a lot for their cruises. We hope HAL goes out of their way to make some kind of effort for all 2000 of them, and all at the same time. :cool:

No. At the time, I thought this is what people were SUGGESTING. I now see that the thing to do is to talk w/ the waiter 24 hours ahead of time. I'm fine with that. I didn't know the protocol--that's why I ASKED HERE. That's sort of why this forum is here, is it not?

And when I was planning to ask at the kitchen, I was going to NICELY ASK, not "make demands." If you can't see the difference between those two things, I really don't know what to say LOL.

pawsplus, I was vegetarian (not vegan) for a number of years, a few times in my life. I even cruised as a vegetarian, long before veg was as common as it is now.

You've inspired me to try it again -- I've been toying with the idea for a while, and DH is okay with it. Probably won't cruise vegetarian, but that remains to be seen. I just can't give up the escargot and smoked salmon benedicts on board ;)

Me too, but not for the same reasons. I cannot believe how judgmental people can be when someone asks a question but might not phrase it exactly as the 'regulars' here might like. This is OP's first cruise, and she chose HAL. I wouldn't blame her if she never sailed the line again. Fortunately, she'll learn that the atmosphere and people on board are nothing like what she's encountered here.

She said she'd go to the kitchen and discuss what can be done. So that is interpreted as barging into the kitchen and making demands? Cut some slack people. As someone told her, she should talk to the dining room manager, and notify HAL in advance.

Thank you. :) I'm not about to hold anything anyone says here against HAL--the HAL folks I've talked with on the online chat have been super accommodating and helpful.

People just need to realize that for those of us who have never done this before, it's a whole other world. In the REAL world if I can't find something to eat at X I can just drive someplace else. Stuck on a big boat, that's not an option, so I am doing my best to investigate the possibilities and plan for all contingencies. I joined this forum in order to help myself do just that.

As the author of an ebook all about 'cruising with special diets', I'm almost appalled at some of the vitriol being thrown around.

If you knew how painful it can be for 'us' to travel, you'd understand how happy we are that cruise lines make the conscious choice to embrace our business, and set up practices and procedures to ensure we're well taken care of.

My wife and I both cruise because it's less painful than many other modes of travel. Take away everyone with a special diet, and anyone with a family member with a special diet, and that is a lot of lost business!

Anyway, stepping off my soap box...

To pawsplus, welcome to your first cruise, and I hope you have a wonderful time. Regarding your diet, there are a few things you should know.

1. Even though you told them about your diet in advance, the info likely will not get communicated to the ship.

2. On the first day, when you first get onboard, ask to see the Restaurant Maitre d', who will be meeting with guests about a variety of topics, including special diets. Describe your needs, and he will walk you through the procedures onboard they have to accommodate you. Later on, if ever in doubt about anything, find them and talk to them again.

3. As others have mentioned, the main dining room (MDR) is usually your best bet, as they are set up to deal with special orders; the galley has a separate area for this. The procedure is that you will be presented the next day's menu the day before; use it as a suggestion, but never hesitate to ask for something different.

4. The big issue with the buffet is cross-contamination. So I would avoid most everything. Plus, the staff manning the buffet often don't know exactly what is in everything - you can always ask to talk to the head chef at the buffet and they'd be happy to walk you through it. But the salad bar is usually not bad, depending how sensitive you are (a big salad with lots of veg and legumes is usually my shipboard lunch).

5. Be aware that staff knowledge/sensitivity about special diets can vary quite considerably, so be a bit suspicious, and make sure you're getting what you need. If you run into problems, don't hesitate to talk to a supervisor (or higher, usually ending in the Maitre d' you meet the first day being your biggest supporter). Of the lines we've used, the one time we were on HAL was the worst experience in this regard, but that may have been a blip.

6. Finally, make sure to thank staff who are helpful, mention them to their supervisors, and write their names in the guest questionnaire you'll get at the end of the cruise. Include comments about how well/poorly they dealt with your dietary needs, and how important this is to you deciding to cruise again.

I hope this serves as a good starting point for you; there's a lot more obviously that could be said, but which won't be, given certain prohibitions against anything that comes close to advertising on these boards. ;)

This puts me in mind of another fact: healthy people like me, who don't eat meat or dairy, who exercise, and whose total cholesterol is 120 are, in fact, "subsidizing" the rest of you (who eat unhealthy food and end up having bypasses, transplants, diabetes, etc.), via paying for health insurance at ever-increasing rates even though we rarely use it.

Should all the meat eaters have to pay a subsidy? I would certainly support that, but it's unlikely to happen. ;)

And my little meal is a FAR smaller piece of anyone's pie.

I just want to remind a few folks about this post. This is for anyone that eats meat according to the OP. can someone please explain to me why it's ok to say things like this about anyone that eats meat but it's not ok to respond in kind. I seem to be missing something. I have seen some very healthy people that eat like crap and I have some very healthy people become very ill.

can someone please explain to me why it's ok to say things like this about anyone that eats meat but it's not ok to respond in kind.

It's not okay, but I think neither is berating someone for their diet. I think we can all probably agree on one thing, that frustration and the Internet don't always go together well.

I'd summarize the whole back-and-forth as: OP came here innocently looking for information on how to cruise without starving, a few people thought she was looking for extra special treatment, the OP said she wasn't, and that most people chimed in with helpful advice on how to work the cruise line system for special diets, which the cruise line happily provides because they value all our hard-earned cash.

For those who require additional dietary assistance on the ship, what happens when you stay in a hotel? How do you manage? ... I'm really serious. This is not meant as a criticism in any way but really a curiousity for information. Do hotels, restaurants, etc make special effort in the ways cruise ships seem to?

The serious answer is that good hotels (i.e. the type that have a catering department, and can handle functions like weddings, etc.) do handle special diets as a regular part of their operations. They tend to have well-trained kitchen staff who are very capable in this regard. And at least in restaurants as opposed to special functions, they're usually serving less than 2000 people at a time!

More practically, while they usually don't have special menus (though some do), they can usually accommodate small changes to dishes on the fly. We'll look at a menu for a place and see if that will work for us, and if so, just mention our needs when we're seated.

If something more involved is needed, we'll make the effort of going to see them during a non-busy time (e.g. after lunch) and let them help us come up with something that would work.

If we're attending a large function, we let them know our restrictions well ahead of time via whoever is organizing it, and find someone to confirm them with right when we arrive.

Usually they're happy to do these kinds of special things, as it lets them be a bit more creative, prepare something a bit different, demonstrate guest commitment, etc. They're especially happy when they have the proper notice and aren't expected to pull some decadent allergy-free magic out of their a**!

Archived