Recommendations for a scuba mask for light sensitive eyes.

ncbrighteyes

I have been looking for a few weeks now and am asking for your help in this. My eyes are real light sensitive and I am going on a cruise to Mexico on the 14th. I want to be able to do some snorkeling while there so I am looking for a mask that will help to cut out some of the light from the water. I tried to snorkel when we went to Half Moon Cay but the water was so clear and sun so bright that I was unable to do so for more than 5 minutes. It just killed my eyes. Can anyone recommend a good mask that will help me? I have been looking at the tented and the polarized mask and the more I look the more confused I am getting. Don’t know for sure which one I need for my problem. Any help will be most welcome.

Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I could not find it if so.

I would find a good local dive shop and ask them. If you've done that, try finding an optometrist or ophthalmologist who also likes to snorkel/dive and see what they recommend.

You should be able to try it before you buy it. A poor fitting mask or one that is not optically what you need won't be of much use to you.

The lense reduces lightwave length to a 400-600 nanometer range for comfortable viewing during day-long diving.

Sadly this statement which appears in the description of this mask makes no sense! Perhaps/probably they meant 'reduces light wavelength' ....

from: http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html :

Our eyes are sensitive to light which lies in a very small region of the electromagnetic spectrum labeled "visible light". This "visible light" corresponds to a wavelength range of 400 - 700 nanometers (nm) and a color range of violet through red.

and the mask' claim is to cut off the 600 to 700 range - the red part of the spectrum ... which is what happens as you go underwater anyway. You loose the reds first ... Tinted masks actually are typically used to try and bring BACK the reds - with the side effect being to darken things which make them undesirable for folks 'who go down' .... (example: The Scubapro Spectra Mini Dive Mask With Mirrored Lens uses a orange mirror tint that helps correct underwater colors) they may work for your purpose but I doubt you are going to find a mask with a green or gray tint like sunglasses. Now googles on the other hand .... yes!

btw, did you 'google' "tinted dive mask" ?

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-diving-tinted-mask

this mask appears to have a gray tint ..

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/msk/M120T

Not sure where at HMC your snorkeled. If it was on the main beach area you`ll be hard pressed to find another place with a combination of clear shallow water with such bright white reflective sand. Very few places you`ll snorkel at will ever have that sunlight reflective combination. HMC is the only place where my eyes have been bothered by sunlight while snorkeling. Have a wonderful cruise!

Try the Oceanways Oceancat Mask. It has HD lenses which reduce UV rays and glare. They also claim to reduce lightwave length.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

I checked this out and it does sound like what I need from the reviews but they were not available when I looked. I am going to try and see if I can find a dive shop day before the cruise when we go down Thur. We are going out on the Dream Sat. I am going to try to call before we go. Thanks for the recommendation.

Not sure where at HMC your snorkeled. If it was on the main beach area you`ll be hard pressed to find another place with a combination of clear shallow water with such bright white reflective sand. Very few places you`ll snorkel at will ever have that sunlight reflective combination. HMC is the only place where my eyes have been bothered by sunlight while snorkeling. Have a wonderful cruise!

Well that makes me feel better to know. Yes we where on the main beach. Rented a Cabana. We do want to go back to HMC so I know I will need something else besides what they give you when you rent the Cabana. We are going out on the Dream next week and going to Mexico and from the reviews I have read it looks like a good location to snorkel so I wanted to give it another try.

I bought some cheep goggles that I am going to try out at the lake tomorrow just to see what they do. I will give these to the grand children if I can't use :)

Also ask on the Scuba and Snorkerling board.

The lense reduces lightwave length to a 400-600 nanometer range for comfortable viewing during day-long diving.

Sadly this statement which appears in the description of this mask makes no sense! Perhaps/probably they meant 'reduces light wavelength' ....

from: http://science-edu.larc.nasa.gov/EDDOCS/Wavelengths_for_Colors.html :

Our eyes are sensitive to light which lies in a very small region of the electromagnetic spectrum labeled "visible light". This "visible light" corresponds to a wavelength range of 400 - 700 nanometers (nm) and a color range of violet through red.

and the mask' claim is to cut off the 600 to 700 range - the red part of the spectrum ... which is what happens as you go underwater anyway. You loose the reds first ... Tinted masks actually are typically used to try and bring BACK the reds - with the side effect being to darken things which make them undesirable for folks 'who go down' .... (example: The Scubapro Spectra Mini Dive Mask With Mirrored Lens uses a orange mirror tint that helps correct underwater colors) they may work for your purpose but I doubt you are going to find a mask with a green or gray tint like sunglasses. Now googles on the other hand .... yes!

btw, did you 'google' "tinted dive mask" ?

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-diving-tinted-mask

this mask appears to have a gray tint ..

http://www.joediveramerica.com/page/JDA/PROD/msk/M120T

Yes I have that page book marked and was trying to find more reviews to make sure that the tinted dive mask was what I am needing. The more I searched the more confused I was getting. I was hoping that others that have the same problem that I have would respond to let me know what they use. I don't want to pay that much money and not get what I need.

Archived