The Rock Boat XIV - 2014 - The Pearl

ashezap

Hello! I am new to norwegian cruise lines and new to The Rock Boat/Sixthman. I have sailed with both disney and Celebrity and absolutely love cruising. I would say I am somewhat of a rock fan and will enjoy many of the bands on board.

Im wondering if anyone has been on the rock boat before and if they can tell me a little but about your experiences. How did you enjoy the ship, the bars, the food and other experiences? Will they have special menus? Will I still be able to relax in between rocking out?

I would also love to hear from others who are booked on the rock boat and getting ready for their trip. I am going with a bunch of people who have been before (last year) but I am a Rock boat Virgin. I have only even been to a couple of real concerts... so this is going to be interesting. Im a little worried that all the "concert scene" will get in the way of my cruising expeience lol.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by ashezap

Actually, I had only heard of the Kid Rock concert charters. However, here is the link to the Rock Boat event. If you like a music event like that, consider Bonnaroo. I only live a few miles from where it is held each year. It's not for me but it is getting great respect as a super music event.

http://www.therockboat.com/lineup/

Actually, while I'm at it, here's a link to some Bonnaroo pics I took this year while flying over it. They will give you an idea of the size of the event. The Rock Boat sounds fun...if I was younger. The Pearl is a great ship, our favorite. Don't get too drunk and tear her up!!

http://s241.photobucket.com/user/roganderson60/library/Bonnaroo%202013?sort=2&page=1

I've never been, but this looks like the best lineup so far I've seen, for my musical tastes.

Go-have a blast! Report back!

I just always poo poo these things because they are usually shorter (4-5 days) for more money than a regular longer cruise. But then I second guess myself because they sound so much fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Heya - Next year will be my 4th RockBoat and 8th Sixthman cruise... This is what I posted for someone asking about the train cruise:

Hmm... generally - expect the unexpected. There's a lot of last minute juggling of the schedules and activities and you kind of have to roll with it. People who get stuck on things being EXACTLY what they expected tend to get cranky about it. The biggest challenge with the music charters is there's usually multiple bands going on that I want to see all week. So you kind of have to plan your "can't miss" shows and wander the rest or else you end up stressed. (For example - one at sea day last year on TRB had 34 different activities, not including the normal Bingo type stuff)

Eat whenever you get the chance, there are concerts going from about 2PM to 2AM - I think I end up in a non-buffet meal about 1x per trip. Naps are key!

Try not to book a cabin right above or below one of the stage areas, they do a pretty good job with soundproofing, but in some cases it's not 100% - especially if they set up a stage in the atrium or bar area where there isn't normally loud music.

Also, in my opinion you're much better off not worrying about stuff like autographs or photos with the bands... they have a meet & greet time set up, but it's usually going to be during something else you want to do. They'll be all over the ship and I think that saying hi or buying them a drink or whatever is way more of a fun memory than their names scrawled on something. When Hanson was on one of the boats, girls slept outside their cabins... you don't want to be that guy (Basically, this:

)

Yes, there will be SOME crazy drunk people. You can avoid them pretty easily (or join them) There will also be a lot of really fun random strangers who instantly have something in common with you. If they have artist activities, sign up for them even if you don't have a full team, you can find random people to join up with on their facebook pages. The basic "cruise" activities like the spas are actually less crowded because most people spend their time on the pool deck, a bar or at a show.

Those are the main ones hope they help. any other questions?

• 3 months later...

Rockshrimp that video was hillarious! At this point im just excited to be going on a cruise. But im really wondering what it will be like aside from the talent. Special Menus, events, and other services and things that will be going on just for the Rock Boat. Anybody??

Rockshrimp that video was hillarious! At this point im just excited to be going on a cruise. But im really wondering what it will be like aside from the talent. Special Menus, events, and other services and things that will be going on just for the Rock Boat. Anybody??

They usually do some meet and greets, Q&A sessions, etc.....

Just depends on how many artists are on that particular charter.

Some just have 1 main artist and maybe a friend or two. (KISS, Rick Springfield, Kid Rock, YES, the Moody Blues, etc...)

Some have 10 artists, some have 40 artists. (Prog Rock, Metal, Malt Shop, etc...)

I have been looking at this year's Monsters of Rock cruise in March and have no idea how 40 artists can all perform on a 5 day cruise.

It depends on how experienced the promoter is and how they juggle the groups and time available.

Bill

Howdy - I will be sailing my first Rock Boat in less than 7 short weeks! Join the Rock Boat Family group on Facebook if you have not already. I find it a great source of information, but I will say that we are focused on the talent.

Rockshrimp, that was an AWESOME video. Shared with my friend because I joke that I will be that way with one particular band (but I won't, I swear!)

• 2 weeks later...

Menu-wise it doesn't change much from a normal cruise, minus the assigned dining times and the buffets tend to be open more and more popular. If you wanted to do one of the pay restaurants you'll probably have an easier time getting a reservation than on a normal cruise as well.

Events, well there's usually some drinking games - like Flipcup and Battleshots (a team version of battleship with margaritas) and Boozical Chairs (musical chairs + booze) - Those tend to have a signup list before we leave so watch your email, and as was recommended the Facebook group is a good place to find a team with spots open. Also, if you just show up there are always no-shows.

There's usually some kind of Artist vs. Artist trivia/name that tune game. The games and some of the standard stuff like Bingo are usually hosted by one of the bands but they haven't announced which ones yet.

Those are the major activities, all of the normal cruise stuff is generally also available but I have no idea about that because I've never used any of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome! Im excited... not much longer to go! I am excited about the bands and really enjoy live music but I dont "LIVE for them"... I work with high profile talent quite a bit so I guess its hard for me to get starstruck or all hyped up... but who knows, maybe I have more of a rocker/partyer side than I think. I am def looking forward to some of the traditional cruise stuff... like oodles of food and specialty restaurants and spa etc. .... speaking of that... does anyone know if the heated lounges, hot tubs etc will be available in the spa area? I have used those types of areas ALLOT on other cruises and that would be amazing!