Question about buying wine in port.

Finally Going!

I understand all the rules about one bottle of wine per person and paying a corkage fee for more than that,etc.

What I am not clear on:

If I buy a bottle of wine in port (perhaps while on a winery tour), can I pay the corkage fee and drink it with my dinner or in my cabin, or do they automatically take it and hold it until the end of the cruise?

I understand all the rules about one bottle of wine per person and paying a corkage fee for more than that,etc.

What I am not clear on:

If I buy a bottle of wine in port (perhaps while on a winery tour), can I pay the corkage fee and drink it with my dinner or in my cabin, or do they automatically take it and hold it until the end of the cruise?

There really have been no reports as to what happens when buying in a port. A foreign port. Looks like only at embarkation are they looking, or not looking, at wine coming aboard.

I have had it put aside for me, until the end of the cruise. And, I have been able to go through security without anyone asking a question.

If you bring one bottle and it is in your purse or backpack or something like that, then there is a higher probability of you bringing it on with question. Also, if you return at 11:00 rather than 4:00 p.m. then they aren't looking for stuff.

What they are really seeking to hold is the liquor. it is almost as though they can smell it!! One bottle, should not be a problem; bring a 6 pack, then you might have to 'chat' a bit with the security people.

And, yes, you can pay the corkage and drink in the dining room. If you want to drink in your cabin, ask your steward to assist with corkscrew, appropriate glasses, etc.

Jim

I have had it put aside for me, until the end of the cruise. And, I have been able to go through security without anyone asking a question.

If you bring one bottle and it is in your purse or backpack or something like that, then there is a higher probability of you bringing it on with question. Also, if you return at 11:00 rather than 4:00 p.m. then they aren't looking for stuff.

What they are really seeking to hold is the liquor. it is almost as though they can smell it!! One bottle, should not be a problem; bring a 6 pack, then you might have to 'chat' a bit with the security people.

And, yes, you can pay the corkage and drink in the dining room. If you want to drink in your cabin, ask your steward to assist with corkscrew, appropriate glasses, etc.

Jim

May I inquire as to which ship you are referring? I see you have only cruised HAL recently and since the wine is a very recent Princess occurrence, how can you speak for this particular cruise line?

I think it depends on the screening process and who is doing it. We bought a six pack of beer back on the Caribbean Princess, for our room steward, for his birthday. Not a peep. We thought for sure it would be taken. :)

Archived