LIVE From the ALLURE of the SEAS with Trainman & Judith

Trainman-2

Home Construction in Falmouth...

The Caribbean Islands don't have large forests of pine or oak trees suitable for cutting into lumber for building homes.

And the people are generally poor and don't have the money to buy a home.

So most homes are "do it yourself" projects or efforts with the help of neighbors and friends.

This house shows that most homes are built with concrete and concrete blocks. The vertical columns and horizontal supports are formed up with plywood and concrete is mixed in small batches by hand and poured into the forms using buckets.

DSCN0342_zps7f659322.jpg

Even the flat roofs are poured concrete.

This is a standard construction technique throughout the Caribbean and Central America.

Historic Preservation and Re-Construction is In Progress...

Unfortunately, funds are limited and the economy is tight so progress is slow.

In the photo below the area in front of and to the right of the "big white tank" in the distance is the old English Port Area.

DSCN0378_zpsb7d0e946.jpg

Here is a close up

DSCN0366_zps54d066c2.jpg

The two long buildings were warehouses and there are many other smaller buildings within the old port area which is now walled off due to the construction going on.

I estimate 3 to 5 years for this work to be completed unless there is a major infusion of money from somewhere.

Falmouth is being reconstructed! It will get better every year.

Thursday, Day 5, At Sea

We plan to relax, read, and explore the ship today.

More later...

Trainman glad to see your enjoying your cruise, but have to ask I saw that thread where you have cancelled your RCL cruises and I have missed the circumstances of the whys and how's???....K.O.:(

Trainman, thanks for your review of Falmouth. I was interesting to read your interpretation of the community as well as the safety factor. The high pressure selling is what drives me nuts.

By the way, we love Chops and I bet you did too!

Andrew

Trainman.....Thank you for your time and efforts in providing us with all these great commentaries and photos. I was particularly interested on your impressions of Falmouth. I understand that you hired a taxi to drive you and Judith around, but did you notice if many people were opting for excursions with private tour operators rather than through RCI? I hope you both have a great rest of your cruise.

More from the Old Fort / School

Our Cab Driver knew one of the School Administrators so we got a nice tour. Classes were in session and kids were everywhere.

DSCN0311_zps773e123d.jpg

Loved the pics of the school - especially this one - this should be at some of the schools here in the states.

Pat

Hi Trainman

Love your review.

One quick question seeing your a smoker. Could you tell me if you can buy chip cigaretts in Jamaica or in Cosemel or even on board the ship.

I smoke camel blues. Thanks for your help

You absolutely can! Prices vary from 20-30 bucks a carton depending on the brand and where you buy them. They are in the duty free store on the ship and in the ports

Archived