which catamaran for snorkeling in St. Thomas

mikayla73

I am looking at an excursion for our cruise and was wondering if anyone has done the snorkel excursion on the Virgin Breeze to Buck Island and Honeymoon beach (on Water Island).

I have done some searches on here for Buck Island and Honeymoon Beach, both of those look like fun to me, my concern is getting out of and back on the catamaran. It says access is by dual rear pontoons. Does that mean there's a ladder hanging off the back of the pontoon and you just climb up and down? Or some sort of stair that hangs off the back? My upper body strength is not the greatest and I tend to be clumsy, so I'm just a little worried about climbing back up the ladder.

My other option is on the Castaway Girl, which has the steps that come down in the front between the two pontoons and looks very easy to get on/off of.

The reason I'm leaning toward the Virgin Breeze is it goes to Turtle Cove and Castaway Girl goes to Shipwreck Cove. Both on Buck Island, but in different locations. I really want to see a turtle while I'm snorkeling. I know that neither spot is a guarantee to see turtles as they are wild, it seems more people have better luck at Turtle Cove rather than Shipwreck Cove. Or am I off on that one?

I also like Virgin Breeze because it has snorkeling with some beach time and it's not all day. Castaway Girl is snorkeling only.

Our ship leaves at 3:30p from St. Thomas, plus we are in port with two other ships and one of them is FOTS, which is why I want to stick with a ship excursion. Otherwise I'll be constantly worried about the time and not enjoy myself.

Any input on either of these trips is greatly appreciated!!

Archived