11 AM flight from Star in Seattle?

GummyBear

I'm looking at a very good price on plane tickets for our September Star cruise. Unfortunatly the return flight leaves SEA at 11:00 AM. Is this doable our would we be pushing it? The price dropped today and I have a feeling that it won't stay this low for long.

I'm looking at a very good price on plane tickets for our September Star cruise. Unfortunatly the return flight leaves SEA at 11:00 AM. Is this doable our would we be pushing it? The price dropped today and I have a feeling that it won't stay this low for long.

You definitely COULD do it, but do realize that a few things could conspire to make you miss your flight. If the ship is delayed getting into port, you might have trouble. You will need to be in either a preferred disembarkation group (usually for those in the larger suites and penthouses etc) , or in the express disembarkation group (where you take your own luggage off). You also cannot account for land traffic if there is some sort of problem. If it is a question of several hundred dollars, then go for it... if it is closer than that, you may wish to be safer rather than sorry :)

I, too am on an 11;00 am flight July 23rd. I have seen so many threads saying that you can be the first off of the ship if you have an early flight and usually that is before 8:00 am. I am going for it! Much better fare. Good luck and fun sailing.

You would be pushing it to try for an 11 am flight. There is a lot of road work going on on the viaduct and freeways here over the weekends, recent road closures, work and closures at SEA-TAC, and, remember that you have to check in 2 hours prior to the 11 am flight, which is to say 9 am. Not very likely at this time. You might be able to, but do you want to chance it?

We were in the first group not carrying out bags from the Star 5/22 and got to the airport about 1030. That is too close for an 11am flight. I wouldn't take a chance doing that. Not all cabs go on the highway and coming from the airport we went over a drawbridge. The bridge opened just as we were approaching it and we had to wait about 20 minutes. You might be lucky and get the flight, but it's too chancey for me. Enjoy your cruise!

Katie

All right, now I'm worried. We are on the July 17-24 Star cruise and we have airline tickets for a 12:20 p.m. flight. These were scheduled through NCL! If the early group off the ship didn't get to the airport until 10:30 a.m., could we be in trouble for a 12:20 flight????

We had two in our group of twelve with an 11 Am flight off the Star last week, and the rest of us at 12:30 or 1PM. The ealier ones went express, where you carry all your bags off with you, and the rest of us went "red tag" where you are first called (you have to go to the information desk and get the tags the day before and show your reservations). All of us made the airport with plenty of time to spare. Do be sure to have your transportation arranged prior to arriving back at the port, although cabs were plenty. Interestingly, my family of four arrived at the airport at 9:45 and was told that we couldn't check our bags or get seats/boarding passes for the one o'clock flight, as there were too many cruisers there with too much luggage, and they wouldn't check anyone in more than two hours before their flight- very strange. I'm not sure if this is common in SEA-TAC. I think that the Star is usually pretty reliable about getting into the port on time, and Sunday traffic is not too bad. All that being said, 11 AM is a bit of a risk, I certainly recommend taking your bags off with you in the AM.

We live in Seattle so it's never a problem for us if things go wrong and we can't get off the ship right away. However, I feel sorry for the people it DOES affect. Last June we were on the Star and as we came into port Sunday morning, the crew was informed that there was a mandatory ALL crew immigration check, before ANYONE could get off the ship. This delayed disembarkment for about 90-120 minutes!

It was not NCL's fault - they never know when these surprise checks are going to be. You should have heard the less-than-bright people who acted as if NCL had purposely done this just to tick everyone off!

Even though I did feel sorry for the people who missed their flights and what-not, for us it was a pleasure to stay on the ship even longer.

I would never feel comfortable having such an early flight, even if everything went right. You will need at least 20 minutes to get to the airport from pier 66, and of course they ask that you arrive around 90 minutes before your flight is to depart. I'm the kind of person who likes to be well ahead of time, so would try hard to get a later flight, or leave a day later on that flight.

Have fun! The Star is a beautiful ship and has a great crew.

Hikini:D

AceDoc: What time were the Red tags called? Our air has been arranged through NCL and we are with a large tour group through our TA of about 100.

The red tags were called at around 8:00 AM (perhaps a few minutes earlier- but that was near the scheduled time). We were off just before nine, luggage in hand and waiting for our ride. We were in the Versailles having breakfast at the time the were call. With red tag, you don't have to tote your luggage off with you, unlike express, called before us.

• 3 weeks later...

Gummybear: Here is some first hand information from my cruise on the Star this past week.

We had a 12:30 flight out of SeaTac. (Seattle-Tacoma Airport) We had Brown tags and were the second color off the ship. They called for Walk-offs at about 7:30 a.m. (those who carried their own luggage) and they called the first color at 8:00 a.m and our color at about 8:20 a.m.. Those going on NCL sponsored tours had black tags and got off at varying times based on their tour times.

I did notice that the line to get into customs was quite long for the 8:00 a.m. people but by the time we were walking off at 8:25, there was no line and we were in the baggage area quickly. Our luggage was waiting. I am glad we had an early color as it was right there in front. We were out on the street waiting for our bus to pick us up by 8:45. We did not get picked up until 9:20 but were at the airport by 10:00 a.m. and it was a good thing.

The crowd at SeaTac on a Sunday morning is unbelievable. Our bus driver said it is like that every Sunday with at least three cruise ships docking. You couldn't even get near the United Airlines drop off area, three to four cars/busses deep waiting to drop people off. We went to the Delta area which didn't seem as bad until we got off the bus and went inside. The Skycap line outside was very long and the lines inside to get to the kiosks and ticket counter were even worse. We waited 50 minutes to get up there to get our luggage checked.

Then when we went back to the security checkpoint with our carry-ons, there was another 25 minute wait getting through there. We got to the airport at 10:00, but did not get to our gate (which was all the way in the back and included a restroom stop on the way) until 11:45. Boarding began at 12:00.

With that info, I think you made a good decision to go for a 12:30 p.m. flight. I'm not sure how anyone who does not use express walk-off and/or a taxi could make it for any flight before noon.

Archived