Mini-Bar Fridge Restocking Fee? Cash tips?

Tarpeian Rock

I understand that the sodas and water in the room mini-bar fridge are marketed as "complimentary" and "unlimited." That said - there being no such thing as a free lunch (and yes, I realize that in theory the costs are included in the fare) - is there a "restocking fee" or similar service charge should the items be actually consumed? I've been in too many business hotels where just opening the door triggers a usage flag and corresponding charge under the assumption that something must have been taken.

And what is the general practice aboard O concerning time-of-service cash tips for activities incurring no actual charge (ex.: room service meal, getting a soft drink at a bar, ice delivered to stateroom, service at afternoon tea, etc)?

There is no restocking fee for free items!

Soft drinks are free -- unlimited -- and you can ask for room steward to fill the fridge with your preferred drink. It is not akin to a mini bar in a hotel room.

Tipping? Not required or expected.

Ice is provided by room steward daily.

No tipping at tea any more than you would tip in the GDR.

If, at the end of the cruise, you want to tip someone extra, you are free to do so. Many of us give extra tips to the room steward or butler or to a special bartender or other service person who has been particularly helpful -- but it is not required.

Only alcohol in mini-frig has a fee attached. If you only want one or two things in your frig, you can ask the room steward to remove everything else (yes, alcohol too) and just stock what you like.

Echoing a previous poster, there are no longer any alcoholic beverages in the mini-fridge, only non-alcoholic sodas/mixers. On Regatta, the mini-bottles of alcohol were there last October, but gone this May.

No restocking fee. Your room steward will replace the used items daily. In my experience, they notice what you prefer and will add several more of that item. If not, just ask.

Glad to hear O has stopped stocking the "minis" in the refrig. I can't imagine they sold a lot, given the ready availability of alcohol aboard in social settings, their sensible policy allowing people to openly bring alcohol aboard (reading some of the other boards, it's amazing how ingenious people are trying to "smuggle" it in), and the relatively high cost of those cute little bottles.

Archived