Here are Cruise Compasses from Brazilian immersion on Splendour OTS

Artemis

We took a Brazilian "immersion" cruise on Splendour OTS in March 2012. It was a 7-night roundtrip out of São Paulo, Brazil, with stops in Punta del Este, Uruguay; Buenos Aires (two full days/one night); and Montevideo. As Americans, we were among the 100 or so non-Brazilian, English-speaking passengers on board. It's not a trip for everyone, but we loved the experience!

I have finally published the collection of Cruise Compasses from that trip, plus some information and tips about planning. (We also visited Rio de Janeiro and Iguazu Falls.) I realize it's odd to post about this now, but someone now planning for 2014 recently asked for information, and it's hard to find much scoop on these seasonal trips (they run every Dec.-Apr.).

So here it is! https://sites.google.com/site/splendourbrazil/

Hi, msclover. I didn't write a review, but as I mentioned, we loved the experience!

I think a key factor was the fall timing of our cruise in mid-March, after your summer/holiday cruise season. The Brazilian passengers with whom we sailed were mostly middle-aged and older, with some young families with babies and toddlers. I have heard that the large groups and celebratory atmosphere during those summer/holiday cruises can be overwhelming and even disturbing. (I write more about this in the Info & Planning document published on my website.)

If you have any specific questions about onboard life, I am happy to try to answer them for you. :)

Hi Artemis!

Your website is simply AMAZING! Loved your tips regarding Info & Planning, I can totally use them on my next cruises abroad!

On the RCCL I have only cruised with the Vision OTS here in Brazil but I was very disappointed with the ship itself... I found it very old and didn't like the cabins that much...

Now with your pictures on the website I liked the Splendour... it looks really updated after the refurbishment (I didnt believe it would make that difference) maybe I will give RCCL a chance again on the brazilian season and then I will probably have a lot to ask you! :) Thank you!

Hi, msclover, thanks for your kind words. My website isn't much, but it was a labor of love--we had such a good time in your country and enjoying the company of all the Brazilians we met onboard, I want to encourage and help the other adventurous non-Brazilians who are tempted to come down! :)

I understand how an experienced cruiser like you might be underwhelmed by the ships Royal Caribbean is bringing to Brazil. I live in Texas, and our "drive-to port" is Galveston. We never get new ships down here! Right now, we are excited that Royal Caribbean is going to refurbish our old Navigator in early 2014. But that is the way it goes...the latest, greatest ships go out of the big ports in Florida and New York. I do think you might be favorably impressed with Splendour. I thought she looked great after her makeover. My email address is on that planning doc if you ever decide to take a second look at Splendour and want to ask a question.

You mentioned cabin size. Royal Caribbean is not known for big cabins. When we compare various US-based cruise lines, most people will say Royal Caribbean is known for its entertainment and activities and, on its newer ships, many innovative "wow" factors, like ice skating rinks and Central Park on the Oasis/Allure class.

Bon voyage on Orchestra in 2 months!

Artemis!

Thanks for you for the bon voyage wishes! :)

I'm glad you had a good time here... I see that you are a fan of the Royal Caribbean fleet but next time you want to visit Brazil by ship, if you want a different experience, try to book MSC or Costa...the italian ships are very popular here and the italian culture mixes very well with the brazilian... always in March or end February so you'll find more families and mid-aged passengers like you did on the Splendour. They are bringing their best and newest ships (brand new Preziosa from MSC and Fascinosa from Costa) so I'm sure you'll have another good experience and will have the possibility to visit other ports (Salvador, Buzios, etc).

About the Royal Caribbean ships... we are very disappointed with them here because the newest ship they brought was the Mariner and only for two months as an experience during his repo cruise... I think the experience didn't went well cause then we only had the Vision and the Splendour and since last season we only got the Splendour again (since 2000) with unbelievably high prices.

I see that you're having almost the same problem with the Navigator as you mentioned...because of that, the Oasis and the Allure are becoming popular in Brazil since a cruise in the Caribbean is almost always cheaper (and much more worth the money!) for us than a cruise with the Splendour here...

I've sent you an email so that you have mine too, but if I find a good deal on the Splendour I'll write you some questions for sure :) Thank you!

Archived