Alaska on the Pearl - Which Suite?

rhinomike

We are going to do an Alaskan Cruise this summer on the Pearl. We did an Alaskan cruise 2 years ago on the Star. We are going to get a suite. It's me, my wife and 4 teenage sons. We are trying to decide between the 2 bedroom family suite or a 2 bedroom HAVEN family suite. What are some differences? Is it worth the extra money? Weare not ones to lay out by the pool. So not sure if the Halven would be good for us or not. Thank you.

We did a Haven 2br suite on the Pearl in Alaska last September. Things that made a difference to us:

-Private sun deck above the Haven was great for uncrowded glacier watching

-No fighting the masses for the hot tub

-pool area was nice and warm on sea days when you just want to curl up and relax

-proximity to Cagneys for suite breakfast and lunch, or having breakfast in the Haven area

I'm not a huge fan of the Haven (unless you're talking the Epic or Breakaway) but for Alaska, I'd opt for the Haven for the reasons cited above.

My only caveat is with 6 adult sized people, quarters will be tight...

Yeah. I was a little worried about that too. My other option would be to get 2 connecting balcony rooms. Me and my wife in one and the 4 boys in the other. That is our norm. But those together are actually less square footage than the 2 bedroom suites.

Yeah. I was a little worried about that too. My other option would be to get 2 connecting balcony rooms. Me and my wife in one and the 4 boys in the other. That is our norm. But those together are actually less square footage than the 2 bedroom suites.

Our two sons are in their twenties, one is 6'3" and the other is 6'5" and my future DIL is 5'7". We sailed together last year in a 2-Bedroom in the Haven and found the space to be perfectly fine. We enjoyed it so much that we've booked a non-Haven 2-Bedroom for our upcoming sailing.

With DS & DIL in the 2nd bedroom, and the other DS on the couch we found everyone had plenty of space. If you're family, you're accustomed to being around each other, and it really shouldn't be an issue.

Would I consider doing this with friends? NO WAY. With family, no problem.

;)

I would also consider one of the Owners suites with one of the adjoining rooms. They do have Haven access which would be nice for Glacier Bay.

I agree that while the Family Suites can handle 6 it would be tight quarters.

Bear in mind that although the OS has Haven access, the adjoining staterooms do not. We sailed previously in an OS, with DS & DIL in the adjoining balcony. We were thankful that the Concierge offered to allow them to join us for breakfast and lunch at Cagney's (something that many Concierges would not necessarily do) but they were NOT permitted to access the Haven.

We had chosen that configuration because one of our sons had a friend along, and with the size of our two sons, plus another one 6'5" and built like a linebacker, we thought the 2-bedroom might be a little tight. It worked out well, but we didn't utilize the Haven much since only some of us had access. Definitely not a deal-breaker by any means, but something to keep in consideration nonetheless. ;)

You really have two questions.

1 - Haven vs non-haven 2BR

and

2 - Suite vs other options

There were a few active threads over the past few days about Haven vs Non Haven. In your case, if you are jamming that many into one suite, the Haven courtyard will give you a bit more room or escape.

Bear in mind that although the OS has Haven access, the adjoining staterooms do not. We sailed previously in an OS, with DS & DIL in the adjoining balcony. We were thankful that the Concierge offered to allow them to join us for breakfast and lunch at Cagney's (something that many Concierges would not necessarily do) but they were NOT permitted to access the Haven.

We had chosen that configuration because one of our sons had a friend along, and with the size of our two sons, plus another one 6'5" and built like a linebacker, we thought the 2-bedroom might be a little tight. It worked out well, but we didn't utilize the Haven much since only some of us had access. Definitely not a deal-breaker by any means, but something to keep in consideration nonetheless. ;)

Yes. Glad you brought that up. I would not of have thought of that. Thank you.

Archived