Kauai Waterfalls you can swim in??

puggleperson

We kayaked with a group on the Wailua River and then reached an area where we hiked to

an area that had falls and swimming. The kayaking was about 2 miles up and 2 miles back. The hike was a mile in and a mile back. I liked the hiking part . . I was the only one in my party that didn't care for the kayaking but I would try it again.

• 5 weeks later...

I used to live in Hawaii ... people swim in them all but there are signs up warning against it. There is a type of bacteria found in the water that can lead to death. It's transmitted from animal droppings... Swim at your own risk pretty much. (I did and still alive :)

My favorite waterfall to swim in or just relax near requires a little hike to reach but if you overnight on Kauai it would be no problem most days depending on the weather of course. Hanakapi'ai Falls is about a four mile hike from Kee Beach. You walk the first two miles of the Kalalau Trail to Hanakapi'ai Beach then turn upstream to the waterfall. If you are a good walker and don't stop tooooo much to take pictures along the way (if your anything like me then good luck with that) you can expect the hike to take about 6 hours including an hour and a half at the falls.

BigIslandHawaii653_zps2b1a4e2a.jpg?t=1381703417

BigIslandHawaii677_zps9dd05f43.jpg?t=1381702581

Wailua Falls is a lot closer to Lihue just minutes from the cruise ship dock and the hike down to the pool is only about 15 minutes. The trail can be very slippery when wet but there are ropes to help you make the short hike a little easier. The mist from the falls can be pretty strong on the grassy side of the pool if the water is really flowing. There are a lot of small hot tube like pools just down river from the pool area where you can get a little privacy.

BigIslandHawaii483_zps5680d31d.jpg?t=1381702900

BigIslandHawaii484_zpse185c037.jpg?t=1381703482

BigIslandHawaii497_zps8a8b8395.jpg?t=1381702983

The odds of getting a bacteria from swimming in the waterfalls pool does exist but considering there have been 11 drownings on Kauai so far this year and no deaths from Leptospirosis I'll again take my chances later this fall swimming in the waterfall pools and eating our lunches on the banks of these beautiful spots while on Kauai.

Thank you

Do you or anyone else reading know what this place is?

They called it the "Secret Falls" but I can't say for certain that's the actual name. As far as I could tell there was no other way to get to these falls except by kayak and hiking. There were several groups there swimming. It was beautiful, for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived