Christmas Decorations

crewsin250

We are doing a 2 night pre cruise hotel stay, and will arrive on 12/29/05. Being this is going to be our Christmas present to each other, we where wondering if the decorations would still be up on the island and any info on hotel lobby's that will be decorated, living close to New Orleans a lot of hotel's do this.

Thanks Paul

If you want to see Christmas decorations, I would actually recommend getting out of Waikiki and head to the downtown area. The area in front of Honolulu Hale (City Hall) gets very decked out along with all the lights in the area. The Board of Water Supply area is also very nice.

Spleen

Just about to say that....we go down to Honolulu Hale on Christmas Evening (not eve) after a nice dinner and there are plenty of locals and tourist alike enjoying the lights and displays.....don't forget to go inside the Hale to see the displays inside of different Christmas trees and wreaths decorated by different agencies and children of Hawaii.

There are also a couple of cute little rides for the kids and a couple of vendors selling treats. I saw a lot of waikiki trolleys going by that night so I am willing to bet they alter their route for the event....or they have special trips.

Spleen you crack me up...you will always find a website!

My first Christmas here and I remember seeing the Santa riding the dolphins at the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center...that was a crackup for me until I saw the shaka Santa and Mrs Clause at the Hale. I tell my kids that Santa vacations here in January and sure enough we always see a santa-looking kine guy on the beach. They freak out. :D

I fit that role pretty well. I've played Santa for several years now and have my own suit. I can do the traditional Santa or the Local Santa with Aloha Shirt. The biggest crowd was about 500+. It's fun as all can be but the costume is hot.

The gloves really make the costume. :cool:

• 4 months later...

If you're in Hawaii before Christmas you've got to listen to the local radio stations play Hawaiian versions of carols. I heard two "12 days of christmas" versions that had my entire family laughing out loud with delight.

Absolutely wonderful - are "five big fat pigs" as precious as five golden rings??:) Well, a lot tastier, that's for sure.

Mele Kalikimaka!!

This is the same site referred to by Spleen, they did have one version, must admit I've never heard another

Hawaiian version.

http://www.melekalikimaka.com/12days.htm

Didn't have any success with "black dog roasting on an open fire" Never heard that one either Spleen. BTW folks

no need to wait for a trip to Hawaii to listen to Hawaiian music, lots of internet stations available. My

favorite is The Breeze of Hawaii.

It's a Xmas song parody of the Christmas Song - poking gentle fun at our Filipino friends who have a tradition of eating dog in their native country. Apparently, black dog tastes better than other types. Made popular by Frank Delima, a Portugese (or as we say Portagee) comic in the islands (who's been around seemingly forever). We're very loose with ethnic humor in the islands.

Spleen

Archived