Drinks package, house white and Spanish vat

pauljsgreen

Hi everyone,

I’m sure bits of this have been covered elsewhere but I haven’t managed to get a definitive answer…..

We are on Liberty Western Mediterranean Oct 20th from Barcelona and are considering getting the Drinks Package.

We can buy online / by phone beforehand or buy when we get onboard.

However, we have two issues on which we need some clarification as both have been touched on before but I’ve not seen firm conclusions.

1. We are delaying because we don’t know the brand of “House Wine”. We have received a RCI response to our query stating “Cabernet sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, House sparkling wine and beringer zinfandel” but would really like to know the brands and if it’s possible to get Sauvignon Blanc. Doe anyone know for sure? Or, is the only way to absolutely confirm, to buy a glass of house wine as soon as you’re onboard and if you like it get the package, which takes me to my second point;

2. If we buy onboard will we pay the fondly discussed 7% or 10% Spanish VAT / Tax (as we wouldn’t pay that buying online in advance)?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Paul & Sandra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

We always buy a wine package and because we like to choose what we drink always wait until we are onboard to see the range of wine available. When considering the cost of the overall holiday our view is that the potential increased cost is outweighed by actually being able to drink what we choose.

I have had the drink package on a Celebrity cruise last year leaving from Barcelona. We purchased online prior to the cruise, so we were not charged tax on the full package. I've read here on these boards that you are charged tax if you buy the full package onboard.

While in port in Barcelona, I got myself a beer. I was charged tax on this one beer. I was not charged taxes after we left Spanish waters.

We always buy a wine package and because we like to choose what we drink always wait until we are onboard to see the range of wine available. When considering the cost of the overall holiday our view is that the potential increased cost is outweighed by actually being able to drink what we choose.

Thanks Roy. This is definitely worth looking into for us too. We like to drink wine by the glass at the bars plus the odd beer or very odd spirit so that's why we're leaning towards the beverage package but it certainly doesn't seem to cater well for wine drinkers.

Cheers

Paul

I have had the drink package on a Celebrity cruise last year leaving from Barcelona. We purchased online prior to the cruise, so we were not charged tax on the full package. I've read here on these boards that you are charged tax if you buy the full package onboard.

While in port in Barcelona, I got myself a beer. I was charged tax on this one beer. I was not charged taxes after we left Spanish waters.

Thanks rufferto.

That was plan A if it wasn't for the lack of clarity / choice on the wine. The celebrity package seems much more sympathetic to wine drinkers.

Cheers

Paul

We were on Liberty in June. The house white was Clos du Bois.

Bought the package onboard and was charged the Spanish VAT ( 10%).

I was able to buy the package for myself

Thanks frank. Just what I needed to know. Hope they're consistent.

Cheers

Paul

Just a thought...

Why not buy the package online and once you get onboard, immediately inquire as to what brand of house wine will be offered with the package. If you don't like the offerings, go to Guest Services and have them refund the package price to your SeaPass Account and go a la carte. Of course, you would have to do all of this before you consume your first drinks.

This way you have the option of avoiding the 10% VAT.

Just a thought...

Why not buy the package online and once you get onboard, immediately inquire as to what brand of house wine will be offered with the package. If you don't like the offerings, go to Guest Services and have them refund the package price to your SeaPass Account and go a la carte. Of course, you would have to do all of this before you consume your first drinks.

This way you have the option of avoiding the 10% VAT.

Thanks for this. I might just "bank" the package as you say, regardless, so the vat saving's sorted.

Cheers

Paul

It is my understanding that the Spanish VAT will be charged onboard throughout the cruise if all ports are within the EU. I believe this has been confirmed many times on the Europe Ports of Call boards.

The cruiser who was on Celebrity more than likely had a port stop at a non-EU port. DH and I expect to pay 10% for every drink order throughout our cruise. That's why I pre-ordered bottles of wine for dinner for our upcoming Serenade cruise now that Croatia is part of the EU. (Dubrovnik is our last port of call and was non-EU when we booked.)

It's best to know what to expect beforehand. Enjoy your cruise!!

It is my understanding that the Spanish VAT will be charged onboard throughout the cruise if all ports are within the EU. I believe this has been confirmed many times on the Europe Ports of Call boards.

The cruiser who was on Celebrity more than likely had a port stop at a non-EU port. DH and I expect to pay 10% for every drink order throughout our cruise. That's why I pre-ordered bottles of wine for dinner for our upcoming Serenade cruise now that Croatia is part of the EU. (Dubrovnik is our last port of call and was non-EU when we booked.)

It's best to know what to expect beforehand. Enjoy your cruise!!

Many thanks. That was our experience on ncl epic last year. Wondered if it was line- specific or legislative so thanks for clarifying. Looks like we'll be sitting everything we can online prior to departure.

Actually, our objective on the drinks package is not to break even, it's to stop me stressing at the price of every couple of drinks I buy with comparatively small glasses of wine (compared to the UK) plus 10% plus 15% like last year.

:) :)

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Archived