Cozemel? Other than excursions and the beach...

macsmokin

I was just in Mexico for 8 days for my honeymoon last month and it's perfectly safe in that area. We spent a day on Cozumel, taking the ferry over from the mainland, and it was beautiful. We rented a scooter and took it to the "other side" of the island, which was gorgeous. Undeveloped mostly and has a few bars/restaurants. We finally ended up at the Money Bar where I rented snorkel gear for about $300 pesos for 2 and walked right out into some great snorkeling. I saw 2 spotted eagle rays, barracuda and flounder, as well as some nice coral and tons of smaller fish. The time before that (on a cruise), we went to Chaankanab but it was really windy and wasn't a nice day to be on/in the water.

We did the Cozumel Bar Hop and had a wonderful time. We are older, near and over 70 at the time of the cruise. We are not beach people, have limited mobility, don't drink more than a glass of wine now and then.

Let me tell you, we loved the Cozumel Bar Hop. You are in an air conditioned vehicle and travel to the far side of the island where tourist usually do not go. There are beautiful, unspoiled beaches. The don't even have electricity on that side, that's how unspoiled it is !

You make four or five stops at bars/restaurants where you receive a 'shot,' of a speciality beverage. You can purchase more to eat or drink if you wish. One stop had on the beach massages for $10.00 for those interested.

We enjoyed a relaxing day with beautiful scenery and a wonderful guide who taught us about the island. It is mentioned in my review of the Legend.

The operators are very responsive and will tell you more. Here's their website if you are interested.

http://www.cozumelbarhop.com/

We were in Cozumel last October with our two kids, who are in their twenties. We did The Amazing Cozumel Race. We all enjoyed it and it was one of the highlights of our cruise.

My mom and I were just looking at this excursion today! Is it very strenuous? My mom is a huge amazing race fan but she is now 60 and is worried she can't keep up. Thanks!

We've been to Cozumel a few times so when not doing excursions we still enjoy the port shopping and sites within walking distance. We like going to Cinco soles and Having lunch at Panchos Backyard right next door. I don't know what's changed, but we've never at all felt unsafe there. It's one of our favorite ports.

My wife Sheri and I along with 5 friends rented a driver (Alberto) with a van from tours plaza .com. Alberto was great, he took us all over the island showing us where the locals live, play and work. The other side of the island is so beautiful. My wife and I will be going back this Nov21. We plan on getting Alberto again to drive us. Cruise On, Darrell

..what have you done while in port. How is the shopping and is there shopping close to port?

There is TONS of shopping in Cozumel, and SO easy to do. There are two places ships come in - one is at Puerto Maya (Carnival ships mostly) and they have a lovely shopping area that Carnival has built right after you walk off the ship & down the long gang plank.

If your ship docks at the International pier, after you walk down the shorter gang plank, you take an escalator up & walk across the street on a bridge to shopping which will take you as far into town as you want to go.

The Pier shopping is great BUT, for the authentic shopping, we enjoy going into town an haggling with the prices. Food is good everywhere. There is plenty to do on a shopping day.

A taxi from Puerto Maya to town is just a few minutes. The island is only 8 miles long (if I remember right) so it doesn't take long to get anywhere. But, you would need a taxi - too far to walk. But, taxis are very easy to get. Cozumel is a very friendly place, and we always feel very safe there.

Edited by 2Okies

A few friends have warned us about going to Mexico lately but I haven't found anything on the ports we're going to (Cozumel and Costa Maya). Anybody heard anything crazy lately?

The INLAND MAINLAND OF MEXICO - yes, you need to avoid. But the Caribbean - No problems. They Mayan people are so friendly, and tourism is their livelihood.

Of course, be safe just like you would anywhere. We never carry anything very valuable with us. We take small bills to pay for things (and its fun to haggle prices in the shops), don't wear your expensive jewelry - leave that kind of stuff in the safe on the ship. I always wear a small purse with a shoulder strap, or even a fanny pack to keep my money close to me. We never use credit cards out of the country. We did last year at one of the Puerto Maya shops that was recommended by Carnival, and it was okay. But, in town - I wouldn't advise it. Too many chances of identity theft, etc. If we know we are going to do a lot of shopping, I usually take a small light-weight backpack ashore w/us too, just to help carry packages. Just use common sense and you will have a wonderful time!

If you want to try something REALLY fun and offbeat, take Josefina Gonzalez's cooking class, "Cocina Con Alma" (Spanish for "Cooking With Soul"). We booked it independently, did some research, read reviews in TripAdvisor etc. Got to the place (her house) and back easily from the Liberty of the Seas. Being a former teacher, Josefina thoroughly charmed my 10 year-old daughter. We decided which authentic Yucatecan dishes to prepare, went to the market to buy the ingredients and ended up with the most delicious Mexican meal I have had anywhere which includes MANY trips to 8 or 9 different Mexican states. The margarita lessons were extremely helpful as well.

Edited by MrChocoholic

..what have you done while in port. How is the shopping and is there shopping close to port?

Depends on which cruise line you are arriving on, as to which of the 3 piers you are arriving on.

NCL and Disney dock right in the center of downtown,(Punta Langost pier) right at the town square and all the shops, restaurants and bars.

Carinval and RCCL dock at the 2 southermost piers, right next to each other, but south of downtown. (Puerta Maya and International piers, respectively)

At those two you have the usual, every cruise port, bars and shops.

Sadly you'll have to take a cab ride, north into town, to be able to shop the local shops and restaurants.

Bill

• 1 month later...

We have been to Cozumel 6 or 7 times now (lost count!). It would be a waste of a wonderful stop to just hang around the cruise port and shop. We have done that before and wish we had not.

Our three favorite days in Cozumel have been spent 1) hiring a taxi for a day around the island, 2) participating in the Amazing Cozumel Race, and 3) partying on the Cozumel Bar Hop.

If you have not seen the other side of the island, either rent a taxi or join the Bar Hop. The day we rented the taxi we had our kids. We brought a collapsible cooler and stopped by the 7-11 for beer, cokes, and ice. Our driver took us to one beach bar where we had snacks and bought a drink, then to a beach with no bar etc. where there were mostly locals. We played in the huge waves and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. Note the swimming is not good on this side of the island unless you are in a protected area but the wave are huge and fun to jump in. She showed us a good part of the island and we stopped at the tequila factory for a tour and tasting. She waited on us at every stop because she was our personal driver for the day. Great day. I like this option better than renting a jeep because it is about the same price ($120 for four), you don't have to drive, and your learn about the island from your driver.

The Bar Hop is great for seeing the other side of the island. It is definitely a party atmosphere but you will have a great time whether or not you drink. The bus is air conditioned and clean. The guides are very knowledgeable and lots of fun. I highly recommend this tour!

The Amazing Cozumel Race lets you see a different part of Cozumel that you would not otherwise see. We had a blast on this tour. It requires a lot of walking and a little swimming. You can walk at your own pace if you are not overly competitive and are there for the experience instead of winning the race ;) I don't want to give too much away, but you will see parts of downtown that you wouldn't see otherwise, and the lunch afterward was delicious and off the beaten path.

Hope you have fun!

• 3 weeks later...