train from le havre to paris

sprite123

4 canadian travellers trying to find if we should buy tickets for train ahead of time(from home) for a day trip from le havre to paris. our ship is there overnight so no worry about rushing back for ship. we are on celebrity infinity leaving sept 30th/13 from harwich. Is anyone else on this, i am new to this and dont know how to do the roll call, thanks

Most of the trains that run between Le Havre and Paris (about 2hrs 7 min each way) are "Intercity" trains which require reservations for both 1st and 2nd class. Chances are good that if you show-up at the train station with no reservation you would be able to get on the next train....but it's possible that a train could be filled to capacity in which case you would have to wait for the next train (there is usually a train every hour from Le Havre except nothing between 10:07 and 12:07.

And just a heads up! If you buy tickets on the RailEurope site you will pay a very big premium. Its usually best to use the SNCF site (if you can).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hello, thankyou for the information, would you also know the difference between the stops, one is Paris st Lazare and the train is direct on the way but on the way back it is not direct from there but from a different stop its direct, but we dont know how far away that one is. Do you save money buying ahead of time or do you think the price would be the same< thanks

Hello, thankyou for the information, would you also know the difference between the stops, one is Paris st Lazare and the train is direct on the way but on the way back it is not direct from there but from a different stop its direct, but we dont know how far away that one is. Do you save money buying ahead of time or do you think the price would be the same< thanks

It is possible you can save some money by booking in advance direct from SNCF (that is the name of the French train company) if they have a reduced rate for pre-booking. They also give excellent discounts if you are a senior (age 60+). They also have different type fares such as restricted (you cannot change or cancel) or flexible (you can change), etc.

IMHO the big con is the RailEurope site. For years there has been an attempt to get Americans and Canadians to book their European rail on this site....which has a hefty mark-up on the fares.

And here is an example I just tested. If I want to book a ticket on 9/27 from Le Havre to Paris (10:03 am) the senior fare on Rail Europe is $48 or a little more then 35 Euros. The same ticket booked on the SNCF site is 20 Euros or about $26.50.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

we went into Voyages-sncf.com and there is a flag at the top right corner that shows where you are booking from, I put in UK and not canada or U.S. because when I did the price pretty well doubled. If it jumps to Eurorail,try again. This company is a company that will sell you the tickets for a fee for themselves so if you book directly with Voyages-sncf.com its much cheaper, but they have a way that it bounces right to their website, so be careful.

• 2 months later...

Hi

For any train travel seat61 has loads of information on worldwide train travel and helped me when I booked travel in Italy. The website does not sell train travel but will direct you to the official ticket websites. It has good photos on the different trains used and explains the different ticket options available. Hope I am allowed to mention this useful resource of information.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Hank, the 4 of us booked through SNCF last night and got great train times and price! Great info![/quote

We will be taking the train from Paris to LeHavre to meet our ship. Could you please tell us the station you got off at in LeHavre and any other tips for traveling that route. We will have our luggage with us.

Thank you. Message me driectly at...

scutia(at)aol(dot)com

Thanks Hank, the 4 of us booked through SNCF last night and got great train times and price! Great info![/quote

We will be taking the train from Paris to LeHavre to meet our ship. Could you please tell us the station you got off at in LeHavre and any other tips for traveling that route. We will have our luggage with us.

Thank you. Message me driectly at...

scutia(at)aol(dot)com

Since I am currently out of the country we do not have all of our detailed travel reference stuff. But I believe there is only one main train station in Le Havre and it is located on the Cours de la Republique) about 1 1/2 - 2 miles from the port (there are several port docking locations). Once you get to Le Havre you will probably do best by simply grabbing a taxi from the station right to the port. The taxi stand is not located in the front of the train station, but rather around the side (towards the left when you look out of the front main entrance). You might want to consider that train travel in Europe generally means you have to manage your own luggage (finding a porter is a rare occurrence) and you want to always keep your luggage very close or in direct site (luggage thiefs do exist).

One other train hint (which may not help you) is that they usually offer "Senior" fares on SNCF trains. Sometimes it is just a matter of asking and they will immediately give you a lower fare. We have been confused as to what they use as the age limit (60 or 65) but have learned to always ask for a "Senior Fare" (we are in our 60s) which may or may not work.

Hank