Information Only - a reply to specific questions about the smoking policy changes

This is why many communities are looking into banning e-cigs in many public places. That "vapor" isn't something I want to be breathing in. Pretty naive to pretend that vapor is nothing.

Unreal how you twisted it all up to meet your criteria of prudeness. Some folks here need to find a hobby or something and get a life!

They were explaining how it did not bother anybody, geeez

Totally false. Once, I spent about an hour in the Cigar Bar (Connoisseur's Club) on a Royal Caribbean Voyager Class ship because we were with friends who wanted to smoke a cigar. The next day I awoke with a hacking cough as did another friend who was with us. Awful, just awful.

YOU chose to be in there......awful, just awful, LMAO:)

Unreal how you twisted it all up to meet your criteria of prudeness. Some folks here need to find a hobby or something and get a life!

They were explaining how it did not bother anybody, geeez

But it does bother people. Lots of people. I don't just take someones word that the "vapor" is harmless. Very few studies at all. The Jury is still out on E-cigs.

Royal Caribbean must think it bothers people or hasn't been studied enough either. If it was harmless they would let people smoke E-cigs on their balcony.

I did not twist anything. I am not a prude. I have many hobbies and a great life. I can't help it if you don't like facts.

YOU chose to be in there......awful, just awful, LMAO:)

Yes I did choose it, once. Only once. And it was awful. But that is to someone who has clear lungs. It is irritating to people with clear lungs. People whose lungs are constantly being filled with smoke evidently aren't bothered by being in such a small enclosed space where virtually everyone is smoking either a cigar or cigarette. Their lungs are used to it.

I look forward to the day when those nice little Cigar lounges become just another lounge on a smoke free ship.

There is a reason the Quantum is being built without a Cigar Lounge onboard.

But it does bother people. Lots of people. I don't just take someones word that the "vapor" is harmless. Very few studies at all. The Jury is still out on E-cigs.

Royal Caribbean must think it bothers people or hasn't been studied enough either. If it was harmless they would let people smoke E-cigs on their balcony.

I did not twist anything. I am not a prude. I have many hobbies and a great life. I can't help it if you don't like facts.

Facts?? Show me some facts and we can discuss them.

Right....you have none, and still continue to further your uneducated fight against the unknown.

I know quite a few people who use the e-cigs. they are always getting positive feedback from non smokers about how totally un-noticeable they are. In fact, most are praised about how pleasant they are compared to actually smoking. They are an aid to help quit smoking. I have never heard one person say that they bothered them, except you, and you have no facts. What could it possibly be that bothers you about them? Where are these "lots of people" you say are bothered?

You have no idea why Royal does not allow them, and no idea how prude you sound. Facts is facts. I am done here.

Live and let live.

Right....you have none, and still continue to further your uneducated fight against the unknown.

I know quite a few people who use the e-cigs. they are always getting positive feedback from non smokers about how totally un-noticeable they are. In fact, most are praised about how pleasant they are compared to actually smoking. They are an aid to help quit smoking. I have never heard one person say that they bothered them, except you, and you have no facts. What could it possibly be that bothers you about them? Where are these "lots of people" you say are bothered?

You have no idea why Royal does not allow them, and no idea how prude you sound. Facts is facts. I am done here.

Live and let live.

Let me add - my cousin and his daughter were with us for a few days. When we picked them up at the airport and got onto the highway I wanted to know what that sickly disgusting smell was in my car. It was her with her e-cig in the back seat. I told her to put it out -turn it off - whatever and not to do it again. She tried again in my house and I told her the smell was awful and 0 sickly sweet - I don't think e-cigs are of any benefit at all. It just makes smokers think they're doing something

Let me add - my cousin and his daughter were with us for a few days. When we picked them up at the airport and got onto the highway I wanted to know what that sickly disgusting smell was in my car. It was her with her e-cig in the back seat. I told her to put it out -turn it off - whatever and not to do it again. She tried again in my house and I told her the smell was awful and 0 sickly sweet - I don't think e-cigs are of any benefit at all. It just makes smokers think they're doing something

Well, that is bad. Must be a very cheap bad e-cig or one of those funky flavored ones. I have smelled a few that I noticed, wasn't as bad as you have described.

The ones I see being used are expensive and really are odor free.

I have a few friends who have quit real cigs with their e-cig and now don't use anything at all. It is all about breaking the habit.

Thanks for your comments!

Live and let live.

Whoah!!! You are way over the top and totally freaked out. Man, you have got to chill.

My "uneducated fight against the unknown?" Where did you get that? From the Rand Paul school of Wikipedia??? LOL.

Edited by Zou Bisou Bisou

Absolutely. It is a crutch for the addicted and we don't know how dangerous it is to inhale that "vapor". These folks have no idea what they are inhaling and I certainly don't want to be exposed to it. Certainly not in my home!!

The lady across the lobby here can't stand any kind of fragrance, smoke, or well, just about anything. I puffed away on my e-cig and had her come in the room. She was not bothered at all. If she can take it, anyone can!:D

Thanks Mrs. K. ;)

Looking at your signature, do you really want to be enjoying a $10-$20 cigar and a nice glass of ??? and have the place filled with people smoking their nasty cigarettes? I know my local cigar shop does not allow people to smoke cigs in their shop because it takes away from the aroma of a nice cigar. Was on Navigator not long ago enjoying a nice Dominican and a glass of Knob Creek when these 2 people came in and sat at the couch next to me and lit up some foul smelling cigs. I politely asked them to move to the other side of the room as it was just me in there when they arrived and they got all holier than thou and told me they had the right. I promptly told them that this was the connoisseur club not some cheap pool hall and that it was meant for cigar smokers. They quickly extinguished their cigs and left. I got a thumbs up from John crew member working the club.

WOW, you are so cool.:rolleyes:

There are many types of addicts on a cruise ship. Some of the more 'self-righteous" nanny state types (as opposed to the live and let live type) would probably have "a stroke" if the smoking rules were applied to coffee drinking. As a tea drinker, I wouldn't mind at all. Imagine if you had to go to a special lounge, and stay there, to enjoy your coffee in the morning/evening. No more coffee/room service for the balcony. Those gotta have a cup of coffee in the morning types would go nuts if they had to get up, go to a special place on the boat and only enjoy there coffee there. For those of you who say the coffee smell is harmless, when I was pregnant the smell of it was enough to make me barf. I say protect those pregnant women with sensitive stomachs - ban coffee smells in public areas (see how silly that sounds).

As for those worried about breathing in smoke, What do you think the smoke stacks on top of the boat are belching out?? The soot that settles on the balconies is what you are breathing in when you cruise - depending on the way the wind is blowing. Oh, yes, I don't smoke. Live and let live. There has to be a balance. Try looking at it from a new way. Glad to be not a part of the "it's all about me generation".

Well, back to information.....

I'm hoping that when the nice lady at RCCL's corporate office told me there would be "enhancements" that it included the promenade decks. My kindle does not like sunlight so it would be a nice quiet spot in the shade for a cigarette and coffee. I'd like it if they would place some kind of tables there for the coffee cups.

I'd appreciate it if someone sailing after the Ban would let me know if anything is done on those decks or are they concentrating on just making the pool decks more comfortable for all the displaced balcony smokers.

I really enjoy visiting with all the pleasant people on the smoking side of the ships.

As for the cigar lounge, I'll take the comments about cigar smokers not enjoying us cigarette smokers into consideration. Just hang out there if the weather is bad or with Mr. CK.

There are many types of addicts on a cruise ship. Some of the more 'self-righteous" nanny state types (as opposed to the live and let live type) would probably have "a stroke" if the smoking rules were applied to coffee drinking. As a tea drinker, I wouldn't mind at all. Imagine if you had to go to a special lounge, and stay there, to enjoy your coffee in the morning/evening. No more coffee/room service for the balcony. Those gotta have a cup of coffee in the morning types would go nuts if they had to get up, go to a special place on the boat and only enjoy there coffee there. For those of you who say the coffee smell is harmless, when I was pregnant the smell of it was enough to make me barf. I say protect those pregnant women with sensitive stomachs - ban coffee smells in public areas (see how silly that sounds).

As for those worried about breathing in smoke, What do you think the smoke stacks on top of the boat are belching out?? The soot that settles on the balconies is what you are breathing in when you cruise - depending on the way the wind is blowing. Oh, yes, I don't smoke. Live and let live. There has to be a balance. Try looking at it from a new way. Glad to be not a part of the "it's all about me generation".

This one really gave me an early morning laugh. You are not a part of the "it's all about me generation"? Could have fooled me. Your rant is all about you and how superior you are to everyone else. What a joke.

This one really gave me an early morning laugh. You are not a part of the "it's all about me generation"? Could have fooled me. Your rant is all about you and how superior you are to everyone else. What a joke.

please reread what I posted. It is not a rant, but based on your reply, I would dare to venture you're either part of that generation or did not comprehend what I wrote - possibly addicted to coffee also

please reread what I posted. It is not a rant, but based on your reply, I would dare to venture you're either part of that generation or did not comprehend what I wrote - possibly addicted to coffee also

Yes of course based on my reply you know everything about me. Right.

Again, thanks for the laugh.

• 3 weeks later...

It's difficult to find an RCI smoking thread still open as most have been closed :confused:

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already but I've just read some RCI promo literature on Quantum and it appears there is a change in the policy on smoking on balconies.

Hopefully the link will work but I've copied the bit below about smoking allowed on balconies -

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal...antum_FAQs.pdf

The smoking policy is the same on Quantum of the Seas as it is on all other Royal Caribbean ships. Guests are allowed to smoke cigarettes and cigars in designated areas of the ship.

All of our staterooms are non-smoking. However, guests are allowed to smoke on their balconies

It's difficult to find an RCI smoking thread still open as most have been closed :confused:

Not sure if this has been mentioned on here already but I've just read some RCI promo literature on Quantum and it appears there is a change in the policy on smoking on balconies.

Hopefully the link will work but I've copied the bit below about smoking allowed on balconies -

The smoking policy is the same on Quantum of the Seas as it is on all other Royal Caribbean ships. Guests are allowed to smoke cigarettes and cigars in designated areas of the ship.

All of our staterooms are non-smoking. However, guests are allowed to smoke on their balconies

Sorry, didn't notice the date on his flyer from RCI - issued before the policy change.

http://publichealth.drexel.edu/~/media/Files/publichealth/ms08.pdf

This is one of several recent studies on the effect of vapor from e-cigs on others. The vapor dissipates within 4-10 seconds. Cigarette smoke takes 20-30 minutes to leave the area. E-cigs do often have an odor of the flavor being used. The nicotine in an e-cig is absorbed and not released in the vapor. This study says it is safer to breathe in a room full of vapors than in a normal large city. I think the issue is enforcement. Explaining to non-smokers the difference between an e-cig and a real cigarette could take up a lot of the crews time. That is why Princess's policy is a good one. It leaves it up to the user of the e-cig to explain, not the crew.

Mrs. Cigar King

Thank you

Although I am not a smoker, your post was very informative and well planned out. You should in your free time help coordinate other "issues' Here on cruise critic with you well thought out plan of questions.

One of the most informative posts I have read in a long time.

Thanks again

Sea Ya

The link you posted is not-functional. You most likely did a copy/paste from a link that was already truncated. You need to right click on the link and choose "Copy Link Location" (Firefox) or "Copy Shortcut" (IE) to copy the non-truncated link.