Future Changes to QM2

karl_nj

The QM2 is my favorite ship, thanks for all your efforts towards building this wonderful vessel.

Over the years, there were many changes made to the QE2. Other then cosmetic changes, there were more major changes, such as changing from steam power to diesel.

Do you foresee any major changes to the QM2? Do you think the gas turbines will be removed? Do you think the QM2 could be switched to run on natural gas, or would that be too significant of a change?

I hope that beside fitting a more efficient propulsion ca. in the 2020s and the redesign of the King´s Court in a hopefully not too distant future QM2 will remain largely as she is.

At least I sincerely hope that there wont be any major changes to her outer appearance.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Karl,

Thank you for your comment about Queen Mary 2.

Any changes made to Queen Mary 2 will be dictated by changing circumstances, new rules, etc. It will be for Cunard to decide how best to keep the ship in operation so that they can continue to provide the level of service they are renowned for. It's inevitable that over time changes will be made to keep the ship attractive to her loyal guests. I could venture to say that as no major changes have been made over the past ten years the initial design may have been good!

Thank you for your question.

Stephen

[quote name='old fool']How much fuel (per hour, or per mile traveled.) is used at various speeds of the QMII. Fuel use must increase geometrically as speed increases, but what are the actual numbers involved?[/QUOTE]

The rate of fuel consumption is based on the weather and ship speed. Fuel consumption on all ships follows a cubic law so fuel consumption rapidly rises exponentially as speed is increased. The actual numbers for Queen Mary 2 are not available.

Stephen

Archived