I wonder if the upgrade fairy will visit us?

temple1

I don't normally dream of visits from the upgrade fairy, but like most I keep the hope alive. ;)

On our upcoming quickie on Enchantment we were originally 3 in our balcony cabin with a sleep sofa and had to drop one of our 3. For the past 2 months the ship has had No balcony cabins available and we are now within penalty phase and still no balconies are showing as available on the website while there are quite a number of Jr and full suites available.

So, what are the odds Royal will move us up to a Jr to give someone a balcony that will sleep 3 or 4?

I know slim to none, but.....

I don't normally dream of visits from the upgrade fairy, but like most I keep the hope alive. ;)

On our upcoming quickie on Enchantment we were originally 3 in our balcony cabin with a sleep sofa and had to drop one of our 3. For the past 2 months the ship has had No balcony cabins available and we are now within penalty phase and still no balconies are showing as available on the website while there are quite a number of Jr and full suites available.

So, what are the odds Royal will move us up to a Jr to give someone a balcony that will sleep 3 or 4?

I'f she visits you send her over to me!:DLOL

Unless you're pretty high up on the C&A food chain, I suspect "upsell" rather than "upgrade" is your best option. Just keep watching the pricing. Decide ahead of time how much you're willing to pay to move up to more space and double points.

On last year's cruise, I originally opted for a balcony, when it would have been only $300 more for the JS. By the time I decided I wanted a JS, it was a $500 difference. Then by the time I decided I was willing to spend the $500, the JS cabins were gone. A month later, just before final payment I noticed one pop up and I called to see how much for the upgrade ... they wanted $700. When I voiced my disappointment that the number exceeded my intended budget, she sweetened the pot and said it was only $800 to upgrade to a GS. Huh? Clearly it was time to rethink the budget. We spent the $800 and loved every minute of it.

We are Diamond. We have NEVER had an upgrade. All other cruise lines have given us an upgrade - Celebrity, Holland Americra, Carnival etc. If we do a guarantee we usually get the bottom of the barrel.

Diamond here also and the few times I've done guarantee I never get a great cabin, always for a lower level than I would have chosen. :rolleyes:

Enjoy the dream with hopes of it becoming real.

If a different cabin is what you want keep checking your options to upgrading to another cabin, you might be able to score one at a great savings on your own!

So far the rates are still higher than when we made our reservation. But I'll keep looking until Nov 8.

I'm not sure if this is considered an upgrade if a higher level cabin (e.g. balcony) became cheaper than the price you paid for a lower level cabin (e.g. inside) due to a price drop after final payment due date.

I consider it one although not one the cruise line gave me. We watched pricing last year for our RCCL cruise. Booked an E2. Went to a JS about a month after final payment. With less than a month to go, moved to a GS. Can happen by watching pricing and calling X or your TA.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Miracles do happen. I took eight of my family away last month for 14 days on the Indy. I had booked three D1 balconies and an inside for the two younger members. Apart from DW and I, everyone was a first time cruiser and we turned Diamond on day three. Imagine our delight when we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite three days before sailing. It was an experience unlikely to be repeated but one that will be a lasting memory - especially having a family dinner served on the exclusive deck. So keep you fingers crossed and who knows what might happen.

We got the call from Crown and Anchor last week, offering us the Royal Family Suite on our Explorer cruise in November.

We were already in a GS, but we paid $200pp more and now we are in the RFS! Sweet deal I think :D

Great upgrade Robyn!!! RCCL's upgrade fairy doesn't like us. :(:( Just booked an OS on your favorite ship for NYE 2014-15. Want to cruise on the Adventure after the refurbishment. I asked my TA if she could get us a RFS, but it's unlikely because we are a family of four. I can always dream. :):)

I have never been visited by the free upgrade fairy. On one cruise they called me to change from one balcony to another with an ever so slightly larger balcony. It was on the Jewel and was one of the balconies where the cabins next door are larger inside. I still had a smaller room, but a triangle shaped balcony.

I did it, but it most certainly was not worth the $100 they charged me.

Miracles do happen. I took eight of my family away last month for 14 days on the Indy. I had booked three D1 balconies and an inside for the two younger members. Apart from DW and I, everyone was a first time cruiser and we turned Diamond on day three. Imagine our delight when we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite three days before sailing. It was an experience unlikely to be repeated but one that will be a lasting memory - especially having a family dinner served on the exclusive deck. So keep you fingers crossed and who knows what might happen.

Squeezing my eyes tightly closed and clapping my hands - I DO believe in fairies, I DO believe in fairies, I DO believe in fairies....

:D

Great upgrade Robyn!!! RCCL's upgrade fairy doesn't like us. :(:( Just booked an OS on your favorite ship for NYE 2014-15. Want to cruise on the Adventure after the refurbishment. I asked my TA if she could get us a RFS, but it's unlikely because we are a family of four. I can always dream. :):)

We are pretty excited!!!!! Considering there are only 2 of us in a cabin that sleeps 8, there will be lots of space :)

We are booked in OS 1600 for Feb 2014.

Lucky you for cruising over NYE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

We had booked a Junior Suite on the Splendour this May; 3 days before we embarked we received an e mail from RCI with a new invoice stating our cabin was now an Owners Suite for the same price.

We had a great time in the cabin which was massive, we visited the concierge lounge each day for drinks and were invited to eat dinner with the Chief Engineer which was a truly memorable experience.

We are Platinum and have no idea why we were so lucky but really enjoyed the whole thing.

I am in the camp that has never been upgraded. Like you, I dream of it all the time. And in the end, it is better to be on a cruise ship in a regular cabin, than at work or in a traffic jam.

Edited by gubby

We are pretty excited!!!!! Considering there are only 2 of us in a cabin that sleeps 8, there will be lots of space :)

We are booked in OS 1600 for Feb 2014.

Lucky you for cruising over NYE!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

You are going to love the RFS. On our first Baltic cruise we booked a GS and a couple of weeks before our sailing date a RFS showed up on RCCL website for our sailing. Don't remember how much I had to paid for the upgrade but it was worth it.

BTW, will wait for your report on your OS. Originally booked 1598 but just changed it to 1314. Had concerns about noise coming from the port side pool area. Have fun on the Explorer:)

I consider it one although not one the cruise line gave me. We watched pricing last year for our RCCL cruise. Booked an E2. Went to a JS about a month after final payment. With less than a month to go, moved to a GS. Can happen by watching pricing and calling X or your TA.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes, that is exactly what I did. I noticed the price drop and immediately called RCCL