Review: Drury Inn and Suites

cali-croozer

Drury Inn and Suites: My family and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights, post cruise, on July 26-29. The rate for a king suite, no view was $101, including taxes. We got off the Conquest at around 9:30am and decided to walk a couple of blocks, away from the crowds, to get a taxi. Well, once we started walking, we just continued until we got to the Drury (it's about a mile away from the port). Our room wasn't ready yet, so the front desk stored our luggage. We didn't really feel like exploring New Orleans yet (we needed some rest after our cruise!;) ) so we just hung out in the lobby on the comfortable chairs/sofas. The front desk never updated us on our room, so we finally asked around 1pm and it was ready (was it ready at 10:30?, 12??......). Anyway, we retrieved our luggage and went to our room. We had a king suite, so there was a separate bedroom with a king bed and a living room with a sofa bed. There was a microwave with popcorn and refrigerator with sodas (replenished daily). We enjoyed the rooftop pool and spa (for the views as well!). There was also a small workout room that we just looked into. :) From 5:30-7:00pm each night in the lobby there are complimentary sodas and snacks (mostly chips/nachos) and adults can get up to 3 drinks (wine/beer/well drinks). In the morning, complimentary breakfast is served: french toast, biscuits and gravy, sausages, make your own belgium waffle (my kids favorite!), fruit, muffins, donuts and assorted breads to toast, as well as coffee, milk and juices. Another nice feature of this hotel is that you need your room key to use the elevators (and the front door, after 10pm). A little annoying at first, but a nice safety factor. They also provide free local and long distance calls (up to one hour per night).

As far as touring, the hotel is on Carondelet/Poydras. If you walk down Carondelet 4 blocks, it turns into Bourbon Street. It is also on the St. Charles Streetcar line, which we utilized. If you walk 3-4 blocks down Poydras, you will get to Mothers restaurant and a Subway Sandwich shop; a few blocks down from that and you are at the Riverwalk Mall. We bought a streetcar pass for one day and did a lot of touring, but the other days we just walked. We really needed the exercise after a week on the Conquest and then more eating in New Orleans!

In summary, good value, especially for families, convenient for streetcar touring, nice extras (breakfasts, drinks, popcorn, local and long distance calls).

• 4 weeks later...

I second this review. We had a one night pre-cruise and a 5 nights post cruise stay there last Nov/Dec. The location was great to get to the FQ using the streetcar. The room was quite spacious (we had a double) and free sodas were provided in the fridge. We arrived before noon post cruise and our room was already available. Waffles and popcorn were my daughter´s favourites.

steamboats

An all-day pass is $ 5 per person (also kids) and you can purchase it from the driver on the streetcar (exact change needed).

More informations on

http://www.norta.com/

The all-day pass is called VisiTourPass. A three day pass is available for $ 12. There´s also list of places where you can buy the passes. I´m not sure if you will get the three day pass on the streetcar too.

http://www.norta.com/passes/visitour.php

steamboats

Archived