Help with the spirit please

Have just booked the Dream for 2014 but I am also interested in the Spirit. Having never been on this ship before I wondered what people thought about it. It seems to get good reviews and the cabins seem quite spacious. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

mollythedolly

Hello mollythe dolly :) although you say you've booked the Dream for next year I'm not sure whether you have actually sailed on her before but I'll try to draw comparisons - which might not be too helpful if you don't know the Dream already! :o:confused:

We like the Spirit (and Celebration which is her sister ship and pretty well identical). They do have a well-documented 'wobble' but we really don't notice it and it hasn't put us off going on both ships quite a lot of times!

I would say that the Dream is just a slightly bigger version of Spirit - but the Lido deck is very similar and Spirit has a spacious Lido self-service restaurant - but not two as on Dream (Lido + Sirens). Main dining rooms also similar perhaps a little less roomy on Spirit/Celebration but not to the point where it feels at all squashed.

The showlounge is double height with some seating on the mezzanine - although the fixed seating on Dream I think is better as people can't move their seats in front of you at the last minute as can happen with both S&C. The showlounge is in the centre of the ship too so you do get a through-flow of passengers (rather like the Medusa on Dream) but they close the doors at show-time so passengers should go 'Up and Over' to get from one end of the ship to the other at these times so shouldn't disturb the production (although you always get the odd one!).

Some don't like the central situation of the Medusa Lounge on Dream (because of the walk-way through) but I think it's a nice airy space. The equivalent High Spirits/Liberties on S&C respectively are at the stern so don't suffer from being a thoroughfare but I find both of these a little confined in comparison (single height) but lots of people love the more intimate nature of these areas for the game shows etc. Just personal choice.

There isn't a pool deck on Spirit either - but there is an Explorer's Lounge which is similar in style and function to the Argo Lounge on Dream.

There is a cinema on Spirit which is a nice extra and something which is missing on Dream. Spirit and Celebration also have a lovely bar - Horizons which is high up at the front with 180 degree views. Great place with performance area too so get a band up there. Fantastic atmosphere. Dream unfortunately lacks a similar area.

You are right about the excellent cabin size on Spirit. We generally settle for a standard cabin and find the storage very good indeed. Two wardrobes (full length) and plenty of drawer space - usually at least three chests of three drawers each. Also good storage in the en-suite with glass fronted cabinets which are big and hold loads.

I would say that if you do book Spirit it would be worth paying to secure a cabin more mid-ships or forward as it can be a bit noisy at the rear especially on if on the lower decks.

But I'd happily sail on Spirit or Dream. Both offer the same excellent service and ambience and there are some great itineraries too.

Been on the Spirit twice and its our favourite - doing the Celebration next year, its the Spirit's sister ship. Sailed on the Majesty this year - did not like it one little bit.

Thank you ormy for your reply, the Spirit does sound a very nice ship and will, I think, look more closely at it.

Hello mollythe dolly :) although you say you've booked the Dream for next year I'm not sure whether you have actually sailed on her before but I'll try to draw comparisons - which might not be too helpful if you don't know the Dream already! :o:confused:

We like the Spirit (and Celebration which is her sister ship and pretty well identical). They do have a well-documented 'wobble' but we really don't notice it and it hasn't put us off going on both ships quite a lot of times! ........................

Thank you kruzseeka for this very informative reply, I have been on the Dream before and find your comparisons extremely helpful. I have never really looked at the Spirit before but I am interested in some of the itinernaries. I will now take a closer look.

Just got back from a Norweign crusie. My wife and I loved Norway but were very unimpressed by the Spirit.

The ship is very old and it shows. Cabins were very dated indeed. Food was very average and drinks choice very limited. Whilst I accept the entertainers tried very hard it was not really to our taste.

The staff do try very hard but this does not make up, in my opinion, for the many difficenicies.

Sorry, really not for us.

We did the NORWEGIAN cruise on the Spirit last year and had a great time,in fact our second time on the Spirit - we love the ship. As for the DEFICIENCIES we would be hard pressed to find many, you have to remember you are travelling with Thomson not Silver Seas or Regent Cruises - and are certainly not paying their prices. Sorry but just had to point out spelling mistakes.

Archived