what time to arrive at port- Splendor NYC

Neotericisis

What time should we arrive at the pier?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. What time should we arrive at the pier?

• 11:00 am
    • 12:00 pm
    • 1:00 pm
    • 2:00 pm

Hey fellow cruise critics,

My husband and I are having a debate. He wants to get to port at 2:00 pm since Carnival says sail away is 4 pm. I say we should get to port at 10:30-11:00 am so we can explore the ship, eat lunch etc. I'm also rooting for getting there earlier because I figure that many people will actually abide by the mass email "don't arrive until afternoon blah, blah, blah" so 2:00 pm might actually be significantly busier. We live in central NJ so there is no difference in commute in regards to what time we leave- we are taking NJ Transit and then a short cab to the pier so traffic is not a major factor.

What time do you arrive at port? Also, how long do you think it will take to get on the ship (I figure about 45 min. to 1 1/2 hours at most from the time of our arrival- we do not have FTTF) .

Thanks for your input!!

My husband and I are having a debate. He wants to get to port at 2:00 pm since Carnival says sail away is 4 pm. I say we should get to port at 10:30-11:00 am so we can explore the ship, eat lunch etc. I'm also rooting for getting there earlier because I figure that many people will actually abide by the mass email "don't arrive until afternoon blah, blah, blah" so 2:00 pm might actually be significantly busier. We live in central NJ so there is no difference in commute in regards to what time we leave- we are taking NJ Transit and then a short cab to the pier so traffic is not a major factor.

What time do you arrive at port? Also, how long do you think it will take to get on the ship (I figure about 45 min. to 1 1/2 hours at most from the time of our arrival- we do not have FTTF) .

Thanks for your input!!

We got there at 2 once and stood in line for HOURS.

We prefer to get there, by 10:30. We are usually on board by 11:30.

We arrived at 12 at the NYC pier on a Friday morning in may for the splendor and were onboard by 1:15. Ironically, we arrived at 1145 at the NYC pier for the glory on a Saturday morning and were on board 20 minutes later. I would still suggest getting there early :)

Thanks for your input!!

We arrive before 9:00 am. We would rather wait in the port building than in some hotel. Before we were platinum, we usually got Zone 1 cards and were among the first to board the ship. Now that we are Platinum, we still get to the port early and make friends with the port employees and other early birds and board even earlier.

If you can't agree, print out separate boarding passes and each go to port at your leisure.

We arrive before 9:00 am. We would rather wait in the port building than in some hotel. Before we were platinum, we usually got Zone 1 cards and were among the first to board the ship. Now that we are Platinum, we still get to the port early and make friends with the port employees and other early birds and board even earlier.

If you can't agree, print out separate boarding passes and each go to port at your leisure.

We are the same way.Love to watch the people while we wait to board.Better than sitting in the hotel watching tv.

We only cruise from ports we have friends in. This way we have a place to sleep, saving on hotel costs and a chance to visit friends ( so far this has been Galveston/Long beach and Tampa). We arrive a day or two before the cruise and stay a day after to avoid the "getting to the airport hassle".

That being said, we have our friends take us to the port, on the way we treat them to a nice local brunch at a nice place. So we get to the port when we get there, too early and the crowds are horrendous. What this really does, is fill the belly prior to boarding. The mad rush for the lunch buffet is sad and un-fun. Not only fighting for food but fighting for a place to sit. We tend to avoid the Lido deck craziness and crowds on cruises, so we enjoy the buffet meal at dinner on the first night, nice and quiet and relaxing. ( we don't do the MDR anyway).

I didn't receive any emails from Carnival. I was wondering if it was because I was able to purchase fttf, which says boarding 11- 12. Although they did call yesterday and offer to upgrade my balcony to an OS for only $668.00 total! I ask if they could lower the price- no, that's as low as it goes. I said no thanks. That would help pay for my next cruise.

Archived