travel insurance questions

twentyknots

We'll be cruising on Oct 6 and had looked forward to seeing another couple we met on a cruise last year. The husband of the couple called today to let me know that he has serious doubts about being able to make the cruise. He has neck, shoulder, and arm pain from a problem originating in his neck. The doctor thinks it might be a pinched nerve from a bulging disc or vertebrae pinching the nerve. He has been taking meds for several weeks and has begun physical therapy but the situation has not yet improved. He said if he were cruising in the next few days he could not go. He is still hopeful his condition will improve enough in the next 2 weeks to allow him to go.

He purchased travel insurance on July 19 without pre-existing coverage. He has never had this problem before. He's had lower back problems for many years, but never problems in the upper back or neck. His 1st visit to the doctor for this problem was July 25. My questions are these:

If he decides he can't go, does he ask his doctor to write him a letter saying that he is not fit for the cruise?

When does he cancel? 1,2, 3 days before?

If the neck problem began before the insurance was purchased, would that be pre-existing, or does the definition of pre-existing depend on a doctor's official diagnosis? He bought the insurance on July 19 and went to the doctor on July 25. I asked him how long he had been in pain before he went to the doctor but he doesn't remember exactly. He thinks maybe a week or two before the doctor's appointment.

Unfortunately he will not call anyone. He booked through an internet company for the cruise and insurance. He is not a member of cruise critic so I thought I might be able to get some preliminary information for him so in the event he cancels he follows the right course of action.

No body here can give you those answers. Insurance varies too much. Your friend needs to call and find out.

If he won't call, read the fine print of the insurance policy. Nobody here will be able to give you an answer since insurance policies and coverages vary widely.

What they said. There are just too many variables and I can't give you an answer other than above.

He'll have to read the policy. Some have a 10 day waiting period from the day you purchased before something can come up. If he has that on his then no he would not be covered as the 19th to the 25th is 6 days. My insurance is like that. So he need to look at his policy as everyone else has said.

I can't answer your insurance questions because as the others stated....there are a lot of differences between companies, policies, etc.

As for your friend's issue....my advice...try a chiropractor. My husband does have issues and physical therapy did nothing for him. He has had a few injections in his back and goes to the chiro regularly. that's what helps him.

Hope he feels well enough to go!

Happy cruising!

I got my friend to read his policy regarding the pre existing exclusion. Basically it says that if the medical condition manifests itself within the 120 day period preceding the effective date of the policy the claim would be denied. I assume this means when he first began to feel pain. The effective date of the policy is 7/20/13, therefore the look back period would be 7/20/13 back to 3/11/13. Since his first visit to the doctor was on 7/25, if he indicated on his information form that his trouble began before 7/21, he's out of luck. He doesn't remember. I suggested he call his doctor and have them pull the record and tell him the date. I hope he can still make it.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Archived