car seat with luggage?

apey9995

Ok, I have a stupid question. Will the porters take our car seat along with our luggage, to be delivered to the cabin? It is very heavy and awkward, so we'd rather not drag it thru check-in. We had thought about putting it in a trash bag and taping a luggage tag (or two!) on it? What have others done with their car seats?

Thanks!

Yes they will but if you are renting a car check with the rental company many will supply car seats. I would agree that you should wrap it in something but also tape a luggage tag to the seat itself. If the garbage bag gets ripped off you have a back up.

Sent using Forums mobile app

Yes they will but if you are renting a car check with the rental company many will supply car seats. I would agree that you should wrap it in something but also tape a luggage tag to the seat itself. If the garbage bag gets ripped off you have a back up.

Sent using Forums mobile app

Good idea! Thanks! :)

We found car seat travel bags to be a great investment. We have "J.L. Childress Ultimate Car Seat Travel Bag" which are $30 and highly rated on Amazon... though the right choice also depends on what seat(s) you have.)

After maybe a dozen round trip flights, the corners of the bags were well worn but a $3 roll of black duct has fixed them up nicely. The car seats don't have a mark on them.

That said, if you're driving to the cruise then a garbage bag might be good enough. I don't think car seats get bounced around as much at the pier as they do at the airport. If you do, I would attach some ID to the seat itself to be safe. I'd also make sure it's very obvious that the garbage bag is luggage and not garbage. :eek: It seems unlikely to be a problem, but there is a a lot of stuff moving around that pier in a short amount of time.

I am very careful with my car seats, so we carry them aboard. I do have to admit that the port baggage handlers seem to be much more careful than those at the airport, but remember, a seat is considered damaged and unusable if dropped from waist height or higher. The damage is not always visible, so there is no way of knowing if the seat was delivered safely or not.

We find using a bungee cord to attach the seat to a rolling carry on a very effective strategy ;)

We use Go Go Baybz which is one of the best child investments we ever made. Not only is it easy, but our son can sleep/sit in it or we can place heavy items in it to roll around like a suitcase.

I've also seen people attach their car seats to suitcases with bungee cords.

26-3.jpg

I am very careful with my car seats' date=' so we carry them aboard. I do have to admit that the port baggage handlers seem to be much more careful than those at the airport, but remember, a seat is considered damaged and unusable if dropped from waist height or higher. The damage is not always visible, so there is no way of knowing if the seat was delivered safely or not.

We find using a bungee cord to attach the seat to a rolling carry on a very effective strategy ;)[/quote']

Yes! Checked carseats are unsafe after a flight! Also, I'd never use a rental car carseat. They rarely are the appropriate seat for your kiddo and you don't know how they were treated prior to your use. :-) I'm also in a carseat dilemma about what to do with the carseat. Bungeed to a suitcase or upside down on a stroller might be a good solution!

I also love the carseat bag mentioned above, but for a different reason. It has backpack straps so I can easily carry it on board myself.

I don't let anyone touch my carseats. You have no idea if it was dropkicked when you weren't there.

We are flying WITH the carseat (i.e. he will be sitting in it). I was merely asking about what to do with it once we get to the port. It's my own, not a rental. I think I'll just go with my original plan- he's already 40 lbs and I don't foresee us flying or cruising again in the next year, so it would be silly to invest in a rolling cart or expensive carry bag. If the seat gets damaged, I will either replace it or file it with travel insurance. Thanks!

This is a great question. I didn't even think about what to do with my DD's car seat.

I've seen airlines give people large clear trash bags to put their carseats in for gate checking. This might be a good option for the cruise as well.

The problem is as soon as the seat leaves your sight, you don't know what has happened to it. As I said above, car seat is considered damaged when dropped from waist height or above. So a seat could be put on top of a pile of luggage (I've seen this), drop off as the cart is rolled, put back on, and you'd never know it is now considered damaged and in need of replacement. You cannot tell from marks on the seat, so this is the risk. A clear garbage bag doesn't protect your seat. I know a few people who bubble wrap them or try and package them in their original shipping containers, but these are not perfect (or practical) strategies in many cases either.

I'm a car seat tech in Canada, and I don't let my seats out of my sight.

Archived