west coast air routung to Cape Town

Hawaiidan

We did this several years ago. Many were routed through LHR and FRA via BA and LH. A few went through DC and onwards via South African.

I looked at several UAL/star alliance routes and they were using Turkish air some 32 hours of flying.... one way not counting layovers..of 13 hours

Not pretty... even in Business

We haven't been to Capetown but many years ago (25?) we did a Kenya safari. Our flights were NY to Amsterdam, a day room in a hotel (provided by the tour group) and a late night flight to Nairobi. As I recall that second flight was 8 hours and went on to Johannesburg. Another 8 hours there, I think.

It's a long flight any way you look at it, but having a nice nap in that day room and then dinner in Amsterdam was a big help!

On the way home we stayed over in Amsterdam for several days.

Mura

We are routed Vancouver to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Johannesburg. Since we are deviating by visiting Victoria Falls and doing a safari before starting the cruise we are not flying to Cape Town directly. They are using Cathay Pacific for our entire flight. Coming home from Singapore, we fly Singapore to Hong Kong and Hong Kong to Vancouver.

I routed us through Heathrow. However, it is a long, long flight and longer for you. We stayed in London for a couple of days in between.

In September 2012 we flew from LAX on United to London and like you we broke up the trip by staying for 3 nights in London. We then flew on South African Airways from London to Johannesburg and then on to Cape Town on SAA. If you do not break it up it is an unbelievably long journey. Coming home from Victoria Falls to Johannesburg with a layover before a SAA 16 hour non-stop to New York with another layover in JFK and then on to LAX on United was 36 hours.

We flew Virgin down to Capetown and stayed 4 days. Wonderful place.

Then we flew Virgin (I think) to Johannesburg, overnighted and then went to Branson's Ulasaba Lodge in Kruger National Park for four days.

Then South African airlines from Johannesburg to New York for four days.

Then back to California.

I think I would have been very very tired any other way and would not have enjoyed all the sights and how lovely Africa is.

I looked at several UAL/star alliance routes and they were using Turkish air some 32 hours of flying.... one way not counting layovers..of 13 hours

Not pretty... even in Business

Presume you are looking to use FF miles.

We did a one way in Virgin to LGW then the bus to LHR and direct to Capetown. We did this in their premium economy for around 1800 pp.

After due consideration thats just way too much flying even if in first. I was looking at a 30 day Cape Town to Singapore as a potential. Re thought the trip and shelved it Too in reality there were only

2 ports that really interested me... and did not care for going to India at all ( its on my must miss list)

Thanks amigo

Archived