Getting from Ship to Beaches in Honolulu

JoyAnn

Hello fellow cruisers, new poster here. I am going on my fourth HAL cruise in September, to Hawaii in the Statendam. Hubby and i want to hit a great beach morning/afternoon we are docked in Honolulu, to return to get ready for our evening luau. Any suggestions? I've been doing a lot of searching, but can seem to find out if you can take a taxi from the cruise terminal and then find one to take you back. I suppose Waikiki would be the closest?

Any help would be appreciated. I've looked at the trolly and bus system some.

TIA

Joy

I found both the bus and trolly very easy and inexpensive to use. Public transportation in Honolulu is very easy and safe. I took a public bus clear around the Island last year. very easy and very cheap.

My brother and I walked from the ship to Waikiki and back in February and there were a number of busses and shuttles making the same route. As I recall there is a free shuttle to Hilo Hatties at Ala Moana Shopping Center and you can walk over to Hilton Hawaiian Village from there. Or busses on the main street just outside the pier area.

Gary

We did the same thing on our cruise. Walked to Hilton Hawaiian Village. Best area to lay out and lots of food and beverage available. Noticed in the walk and on Waikiki beach there was no food or drink readily available. It is all beautiful. Numerous ways to get there and all pretty reasonable. We were quoted $7 for cab fare but really enjoyed the walk. Stopped at a large mall on the way back to the ship so had the best of both worlds, beach and shopping. How can you go wrong in Hawaii?:)

Mary

Today I received a reply from a very nice person from the trolly company who explained how to use the trolly to get to two beaches, for only $4 a piece. We might end up doing that!

I found both the bus and trolley very easy and inexpensive to use. Public transportation in Honolulu is very easy and safe. I took a public bus clear around the Island last year. very easy and very cheap.

You can use a hotel beach even if you are not a guest?

We did the same thing on our cruise. Walked to Hilton Hawaiian Village. Best area to lay out and lots of food and beverage available. Noticed in the walk and on Waikiki beach there was no food or drink readily available. It is all beautiful. Numerous ways to get there and all pretty reasonable. We were quoted $7 for cab fare but really enjoyed the walk. Stopped at a large mall on the way back to the ship so had the best of both worlds, beach and shopping. How can you go wrong in Hawaii?:)

Mary

So, consensus is the best beach is the one at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, which is after Waikiki (sp) or after? How is Ala Moana? (sorry, these names are killers)

Hilton Hawaiian Village is on Waikiki at the north end closest to the ship but still a few miles. Yes, you can use the beach. Next to the hotel there is a public park fronting the beach and you can rent umbrellas and chairs if you want. There are a number of places to eat and drink on the beach including the beachfront cafe at the Hilton which has good food and is reasonably priced.

After our five days at sea the walk to the beach was great.

Gary

Forgot about Ala Moana-I assume you mean the beach. We walked along there on the way to Waikiki and it looked great. It is not as far from the ship and looked like there were many locals there. I don't recall there being any cafes or the like but there were public restrooms. It is near Ala Moana Shopping Center which has about everything.

If you just want quiet beach time Ala Moana might be the one. If you want more amenities it would be Waikiki.

Gary

This sounds excellent, but my hubby has a rebuilt knee, so I don't know if the type of walking will be good for him (uneven pavement gets to him but walking on a track does not, for example). Can you get a taxi to take you back easily if you take one there from the tower pier?

Thanks for the great information!

Hilton Hawaiian Village is on Waikiki at the north end closest to the ship but still a few miles. Yes, you can use the beach. Next to the hotel there is a public park fronting the beach and you can rent umbrellas and chairs if you want. There are a number of places to eat and drink on the beach including the beachfront cafe at the Hilton which has good food and is reasonably priced.

After our five days at sea the walk to the beach was great.

Gary

Again, thank you very much. With only a half day to spend on the beach, I want to make sure we know where to go!!

Forgot about Ala Moana-I assume you mean the beach. We walked along there on the way to Waikiki and it looked great. It is not as far from the ship and looked like there were many locals there. I don't recall there being any cafes or the like but there were public restrooms. It is near Ala Moana Shopping Center which has about everything.

If you just want quiet beach time Ala Moana might be the one. If you want more amenities it would be Waikiki.

Gary

Duh, yeah, I just looked at the pictures, you're right, it's like Cancun, hotel after hotel lining the beach! :D

Since there are hotels EVERYWHERE, I'm SURE you will have no problem finding a taxi!!!!!!

Waikiki is all HIGH-RISE HOTELS!!!

Are there taxis there too? :p

FYI-We did not dock at the Aloha Tower, but down the way in a deserted non-descript warehouse area. We were in first but Princess had the prime parking place.

Gary

Yes, just out past some very rude security people. But, if someone has mobility problems it is probably about a one block walk through an empty warehouse.

Maybe you will get the VIP parking place!

Gary

Think about it for a minute: A large boat shows up with 2500-3000 people and no taxis??? Of course, there will be a number right where ship docks -- transporting people is the lifeline of taxis, so they will be where there are people!!!

Archived