New to NCL - Help Appreciated

wegiekat

I am currently looking at the Epic transatlantic for fall of 2014 and being new to NCL, I was wondering if anyone can help me with cabin selection.

I thought I have previously read that it is better to get a cabin with the beds on the balcony side of the cabin. Thoughts anyone?

I was also wondering with just my mom and myself if the extra space of a mini-suite would be worth the extra couple hundred dollars or if we should just stick to a regular balcony cabin.

Any help from seasoned NCL cruisers is appreciated.:)

I am currently looking at the Epic transatlantic for fall of 2014 and being new to NCL, I was wondering if anyone can help me with cabin selection.

I thought I have previously read that it is better to get a cabin with the beds on the balcony side of the cabin. Thoughts anyone?

I was also wondering with just my mom and myself if the extra space of a mini-suite would be worth the extra couple hundred dollars or if we should just stick to a regular balcony cabin.

Any help from seasoned NCL cruisers is appreciated.:)

You really aren't getting any extra room with a minisuite - just a bigger bathroom. If you want a tub, then go with the mini, otherwise, there is no difference between that and a regular balcony cabin. Also, I would definitely pick the cabin with the bed next to the balcony. It gives you much more room in the cabin.

The mini-suite is about 6 feet longer than a regular balcony. You'll either get a large shower (big enough for 3) or a tub. I forget which rooms have the tub, but it might be ones with the bed by the balcony.

I agree with the other poster. The bed by the balcony will make the room feel bigger.

You say you're traveling with just you and your mom? Not sure of your age, sex and modesty level, but the Epic bathrooms are unique and may impact your decision to sail her. The toilet and shower are in separate areas on each side of the entry door with frosted glass doors. There's a curtain separating this area from the rest of the room, but this layout bothered some people.

There's lot of Epic info in my signature area if you want to do some reading.

You really aren't getting any extra room with a minisuite - just a bigger bathroom. If you want a tub, then go with the mini, otherwise, there is no difference between that and a regular balcony cabin. Also, I would definitely pick the cabin with the bed next to the balcony. It gives you much more room in the cabin.

Thanks Sheri, I appreciate the advice. We don't really need a bathtub. I was sure I had read about the bed situation. Thanks for clarifying.

The mini-suite is about 6 feet longer than a regular balcony. You'll either get a large shower (big enough for 3) or a tub. I forget which rooms have the tub, but it might be ones with the bed by the balcony.

I agree with the other poster. The bed by the balcony will make the room feel bigger.

You say you're traveling with just you and your mom? Not sure of your age, sex and modesty level, but the Epic bathrooms are unique and may impact your decision to sail her. The toilet and shower are in separate areas on each side of the entry door with frosted glass doors. There's a curtain separating this area from the rest of the room, but this layout bothered some people.

There's lot of Epic info in my signature area if you want to do some reading.

Thank you for your response. I was noticing the bathroom layouts on the website and found them definitely interesting. No problems with my mom and myself but I can see where that could concern others.

I will definitely go for the bed by the balcony and it sounds like I can save some money and stick with a regular balcony cabin.

I will be sure to check out your links in your signature - Thanks

Also note that on TAs the side of the ship one chooses does play more significant part than on "normal" cruises because the ship moves days to same direction - I haven't been on TA so I don't remember which side is best in which direction but there are multiple mentions about it in earlier threads and I'm sure that somebody more knowledgeable can chime in here too. :)

Also note that on TAs the side of the ship one chooses does play more significant part than on "normal" cruises because the ship moves days to same direction - I haven't been on TA so I don't remember which side is best in which direction but there are multiple mentions about it in earlier threads and I'm sure that somebody more knowledgeable can chime in here too. :)

Thank you, I hadn't thought about that. I would love to have aft sun on the balcony so that would be important.

I am heading out for my first TA very soon. Experienced TA crossers on our roll call have said starboard for east-bound crossings and port for west bound.

We used to think it mattered for sun which side on TAs but found that it depends a lot on where you are going from and to. Westbound to NYC or northern ports has a little more westerly course but even in Fall the sun is high enough during the day that balcony was shaded a lot except at the railing. Now in an Aft cabin it might be different but going West it would only be sunny in early morning when it is pretty cool out. One thing about TAs and being outside - the air temp is very heavily influenced by the water temp and going West air temps will usually be in the low 60's at most until past Bermuda and into the Gulf Stream. We've always done eastbound (and again next May on Star) and put away the shorts by the third day. Might be warmer westbound in the Fall when water is warmer still from Summer.

We're hooked on TAs though and wanted to do Epic but Star's itinerary was just too interesting since my wife's ancestry is Swedish. But we really love the sea days and the next one for us has 11. :cool:

Archived