experienced snorkelers in Belize

MJC

There will be four cruise ships in Belize City the day we are there, and we really don't want to snorkel with a gazillion people in the same spot. We don't want to take our ship's excursion for that reason, but we also don't want to book independently and find ourselves on a boat with a large group from another ship either. Can anyone recommend a smaller company where we can have a more private experience? Maybe 10 people max? Not so interested in beach time, really just want to snorkel the reef and enjoy the wildlife (preferably without touching or disturbing them).

Thanks in advance.

Many posts on the various boards indicate that Sea Sports Belize might be a good option for what you're looking for. Small groups, a bit more of a cost...but maybe you get what you pay for?

We used Coral Breeze to Shark/Ray Alley last time but their services have had negative feedback lately after no longer sourcing tours through Hammerhead.

This time we are taking the water taxi to Caye Caulker and may attempt a tour via Tsunami Adventures from Caye Caulker. Depending on your ship times this might be an option for you as we'll.

Good luck!

Based on what I observed, I would be reluctant to go snorkeling with Seasports Belize. We had snorkelers on our dive boat when I went diving with Seasports Belize. They dropped off the snorkelers off in route to our dive site on a tiny island which looked like a little sand bar barely sticking up out of the water with no trees or grass or any structures. They had to walk in chest deep water and hold there stuff above their heads to get from the boat to the "island". I don't think they left them with a guide either but I could be wrong. It's been a few years so it may be different. Also Seasports got us back later than the last scheduled tender but it didn't matter because there was a huge line waiting to get on a tender so we weren't left by the ship. I was stressed about getting back late but they weren't probably because they knew there would be a huge line. I'd rather risk being on a crowded snorkel with a bunch of people in the water

than standing in line for an hour with hundreds of people waiting to get on a small crowded tender boat.

Archived