Tell me about the ZOO!

aggie_gal

We're trying decide on excursions with our 3 year old in Belize. Considering the zoo, except I've heard you can come in close contact with the animals. My son loves animals, but only from a distance. He will FREAK OUT if someone tries to get him to pet something, puts a bird on his head, of something comes near his walking path.

Do they allow strollers? We have a BOB jogging stroller that we could drag along (I really didn't want to tote this thing on the cruise, but if it will come in handy, we could do it).

Can you just take a cab from the port (we're on Carnival) or should we book an excursion? I want some freedom and don't want to be tied to a big group in the event he's decided he's had enough and we want to head back to the ship. I have a feeling our day in Belize will be short and we'll spend more time on the ship, enjoying fewer crowds.

We did the zoo many years ago and it was pitiful. I wouldn't waste your time in port on that. The mosquitoes are horrible, it smells bad and there weren't many animals. That could have changed in the last 5 years. Aside from all this it takes quite a while to get there via car/taxi. I think your 3-year-old would have more fun in a wading pool or playing in the waves on a beach.

We took our 3 year old granddaughter a few years ago and I don't know who enjoyed this amazing place more! Love the monkeys, the enormous stork, the deer, the cats, the "stinky piggies." Love the idea of supporting an institution like this one, too.

Very Cool! Thank you! Did you happen to visit the Howler Monkey Sanctuary as well?

• 2 weeks later...

We LOVED the zoo. It is much different from a zoo in the US. It is much smaller, more primitive and the animals are all native to Belize. You can push a stroller but it is not paved. It is packed dirt in most areas. It does get hot so take water with you. You can get up close to some of the animals but you do not have to. They will not place a bird on you or anything like that. We booked through a local at the port. It was great!

Archived