Right Wright?

LewsCrews

I am an avid reader of these boards, but physical ailments make it difficult for me to type, but I have a question so I've joined the club and, with a little help from the wife, an answer could help us determine which ship we will take.

I've read about your Captain Wright from the QM2 going to the Sapphire Princess.

In 1997 we sailed with a Captain Wright onboard the Crown Majesty in Alaska. We have some partial programs (flood damage) therefore partial information.

We spent a great deal of time with him and a beautiful blonde lady we assumed was his wife. (she worked onboard also, might have been Cruise Director) They were a charming couple and a lot of fun and as we are considering an Alaska cruise, it would be nice to sail with him again.

My question is, does anyone know if this is the same Captain Wright? (a fairly common name, as I've turned up a few)

In 1997 we sailed with a Captain Wright onboard the Crown Majesty in Alaska. My question is, does anyone know if this is the same Captain Wright? (a fairly common name, as I've turned up a few)

LewsCrews,

The short answer is 'I don't know'. However, if I was a betting man, I would bet not, as the Cunard Captain Wright has served on the QE2 for many years (from before she was built if you were to believe the howls of protest that went up at the news of his secondment), so my guess would be, no.

Peter

I agree.

Capt. Paul Wright has always been a Cunarder, and, I just can't remember the name Crown Majesty. If Crown Majesty wasn't a Cunard ship, and, I don't recall such, than you have the wrong Wright!

Captain Wright wasn't always Cunard but has been for a good few years though. I believe he joined the company in the early 90's.

Hopefully someone reading this thread will have an old copy of a daily programme from QE2 or QM2 with his biography?

Stephen

Could you possibly be thinking of the Crown Odyssey and not the Crown Majesty. And the cruise director, not the captain. The cruise director was Adam Wright and his blonde wife, Nicky was the social hostess. I guess two Wrights don't make a wrong.

I took PRINSENDAM's suggestion and dug out my Daily Programme from our QM2 cruise last April. Captain Wright joined Cunard in 1980, and in addition to being master of QM2 and QE2, he also commanded the Cunard Crown Dynasty. He was also staff captain aboard QE2, Cunard Countess, Cunard Princess and Sagafjord. His first Cunard appointment was to Cunard Countess as First Officer. My wife and I sailed with him in that capacity aboard the Countess in 1987, our first cruise.

Victor

I took PRINSENDAM's suggestion and dug out my Daily Programme from our QM2 cruise last April. Captain Wright joined Cunard in 1980, and in addition to being master of QM2 and QE2, he also commanded the Cunard Crown Dynasty. He was also staff captain aboard QE2, Cunard Countess, Cunard Princess and Sagafjord. His first Cunard appointment was to Cunard Countess as First Officer. My wife and I sailed with him in that capacity aboard the Countess in 1987, our first cruise.

Victor

Based upon the following information re: the history of the Crown Majesty, it could have been Cunard's Captain Wright:

In 1997, a second ship was added to the Majesty Cruise Line fleet, the Crown Majesty. She had been built in 1993 for Effjohn International as the Crown Dynasty for their Crown Cruise Line and spent time on charter to Cunard as Cunard Crown Dynasty. For the 1997 season, she was chartered to Majesty Cruise Line as Crown Majesty, and operated cruises which had already been arranged for Crown Dynasty, but at the end of that season her charter was passed to Norwegian Cruise Line as the Norwegian Dynasty. At the end of the charter in 1999, she reverted back to being the Crown Dynasty, until sold to Fred Olsen Cruises in 2001 as the Braemar.

Victor

Victor,

I'll bet now you are happy that you have saved all those daily programmes!

Do you know where he was before 1980?

Stephen

[quote=cruisin'fool2]Based upon the following information re: the history of the Crown Majesty, it could have been Cunard's Captain Wright:

In 1997, a second ship was added to the Majesty Cruise Line fleet, the Crown Majesty. She had been built in 1993 for Effjohn International as the Crown Dynasty for their Crown Cruise Line and spent time on charter to Cunard as Cunard Crown Dynasty. For the 1997 season, she was chartered to Majesty Cruise Line as Crown Majesty, and operated cruises which had already been arranged for Crown Dynasty, but at the end of that season her charter was passed to Norwegian Cruise Line as the Norwegian Dynasty. At the end of the charter in 1999, she reverted back to being the Crown Dynasty, until sold to Fred Olsen Cruises in 2001 as the Braemar.[/quote]

Yes, that's right! The ship had been the Dynasty. After reading this post, we remembered some confusion onboard about Majesty/Dynasty, so apparantly the name had recently been changed.

Thanks to all for your responses, it's been very helpful. Perhaps I'll post over on the Princess board as someone said Captain Wright reads it and might respond.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to follow up and let all of you who answered me know that, yes indeed, it is the same Captain Wright that we sailed with on the Dynasty, in Alaska, some years ago.

Some one posted a website where we were able to view his picture and recognized him immediately.

Since no mention was made of his beautiful blonde wife, we will assume no one has seen her and leave it at that.

Trying to book Alaska on the Sapphire Princess while he is still master.

Archived