New Zealand Cruise

Askwith

if you join in on your roll call someone might have some private ones going

If you need help finding your Roll Call for your cruise, please advise us of the ship's name and someone will find it for you and copy it here.

Enjoy your cruise!

When you get to Dunedin the ship has an organised train tour to Taieri Gorge which cost about $200 adults and about $150 for kids. By booking direct on line with the railways it cost approx $ 90nz and kids are free

I think the e mail address is Taieri.com.nz. You book on line and collect and pay for your tickets quarter an hour before the train departs

The railways supply a shuttle bus from the dock at Pt Chalmers to the Dunedin railway station The bus is about $nz10 each way but for a total of about $30 you are taken on a tour of the city before being returned to the ship.

The ship train pulls up alongside of the ship on the wharf .

Dunedin is our favourite city out of all the NZ ports of call. It can get very cold there at all times of the year. We were there 4days before Xmas 3years ago and it was actually snowing.

Give a yell ifyou have any further queries and I or someone else on the CC boards will be sure to help you.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

When you get to Dunedin the ship has an organised train tour to Taieri Gorge which cost about $200 adults and about $150 for kids. By booking direct on line with the railways it cost approx $ 90nz and kids are free

I think the e mail address is Taieri.com.nz. You book on line and collect and pay for your tickets quarter an hour before the train departs

The railways supply a shuttle bus from the dock at Pt Chalmers to the Dunedin railway station The bus is about $nz10 each way but for a total of about $30 you are taken on a tour of the city before being returned to the ship.

The ship train pulls up alongside of the ship on the wharf .

Dunedin is our favourite city out of all the NZ ports of call. It can get very cold there at all times of the year. We were there 4days before Xmas 3years ago and it was actually snowing.

Give a yell ifyou have any further queries and I or someone else on the CC boards will be sure to help you.

John

We were there last November/December but I don't remember being offered a railway bus. Perhaps we forgot to ask! Dunedin is a very picturesque city and we really enjoyed the rail journey into the gorge!

We did voyager in Dec 2012 and there was no rail bus. Just one into the Main Street.

The station was an easy walk though.

There was something mentioned on our roll call though that only bookings through the ship were being excepted for that particular time/day as others had tried to book themselves with no luck.

Voyager of the seas Dec 2012,

Radiance of the seas Oct 2013

We were there last November/December but I don't remember being offered a railway bus. Perhaps we forgot to ask! Dunedin is a very picturesque city and we really enjoyed the rail journey into the gorge!

I have not heard of a railway bus, however the ships shuttle into the centre of Dunedin will usually drop you off at the Railway Station which is a tourist attraction in itself. Its only a few blocks walk to the Octagon, the centre of Dunedin.

There was a write up last season that some tour operators were getting aggressive towards passengers and now any private operators touting for business are not allowed in the wharf precinct.

When we booked directly with the Taieri Railway (separate from the NZ Railway) they said they were sending a bus (not the usual shuttle buses) and it would cost 5 AUD from the ship to the station in Dunedin, and afterwards, if you paid 20 AUD they would take you on a tour from Dunedin before bringing you back to the ship. They came onto the wharf to collect us, but as David says tour operators have been stopped from doing that - maybe you have to walk through the gate before catching the bus. It is best to ask the Taieri Gorge Railway people about it.

When two ships are in Pt Chalmers. (Dunedin) at the same time then the two Taieri Gorge trains ate usually booked by the ships. HOWEVER there is a lesser known train trip fro Dunedin to Palmerston that leaves Dunedin at 0930 and returns at about 1pm. It follows the coast down and back and from all reports I have read it is very scenic. It costs less than the Taieri trip and can be booked on line.

John

When two ships are in Pt Chalmers. (Dunedin) at the same time then the two Taieri Gorge trains ate usually booked by the ships. HOWEVER there is a lesser known train trip fro Dunedin to Palmerston that leaves Dunedin at 0930 and returns at about 1pm. It follows the coast down and back and from all reports I have read it is very scenic. It costs less than the Taieri trip and can be booked on line.

John

If I go to Dunedin again thats the one I am going to go for. I can remember doing it when we were kids, and can still remember looking out over the cliffs and down to the beach and out to sea from the windows of the carriage.

John

From what I remember from my research last year, this trip to Palmerston is only available certain days of the week.

From what I remember from my research last year, this trip to Palmerston is only available certain days of the week.

You are right..

Its called The Seasider....

http://www.nz.com/new-zealand/activities/dunedin/the-seasider.aspx

Summer Timetable

From October to April:

DEPARTS: Fridays and other selected days at 9:30am From Dunedin to Palmerston

ARRIVES: 1:30pm at Dunedin Railway Station from Palmerston

Winter Timetable

From May to September:

DEPARTS: Wednesdays only at 9:30am From Dunedin to Palmerston

ARRIVES: 1:30pm at Dunedin Railway Station

If I go to Dunedin again thats the one I am going to go for. I can remember doing it when we were kids, and can still remember looking out over the cliffs and down to the beach and out to sea from the windows of the carriage.

That's the one we wanted to do, but they weren't running it the day we were there. You can look up their timetable and tours here

http://www.taieri.co.nz/

I think we will see if it is running the day we are there next March. :)

Archived