9-1-13 Carnival Conquest Review with photos

plattwear

Hello. My long time friend from high school Audra and I sailed on the Carnival Conquest 9-1-13 to 9-8-13 out of New Orleans to the Eastern Caribbean. We are both 46 years old and from East Texas. We booked this cruise about six and half weeks out because the price was just too good to pass up. I had not been on a vacation in 3 years and she is going through a divorce so... it was a great time for a an awesome vacation. We drove to New Orleans, which was a six hour drive, the morning of our sailing. We arrived around 12:30 pm at the Fulton Parking Garage and made it to port around 1 pm. The line was long but, we were very excited to be there and did we did not mind the wait.

002.jpg.3669e001defe0404ee1fb85499258231.jpg

005.jpg.b6eaf4c4a426b739af6c7c7b34010897.jpg

006.jpg.aa7e3b20271243b55bcfe4efbe762cc0.jpg

I have never done this before so... bare with me. I tried to make the photos bigger however, they failed to load. Any suggestions?

That is Audra in the photo above. After arriving on the boat we went straight to the Lido deck buffet for lunch because we were hungry. We immediately smell the Guy's Burgers, a wonderful smell. We both agree we must try those soon. This is a photo of Audra's choices... mine were similar however, I tried the seafood rice dish instead of chicken. The food was very good in our opinion and just kept getting better. The baked eggplant in particular was our favorite at this meal. All the desserts looked great so... we sampled more than one. The orange colored one was mango flavored and our favorite of the four.

007.jpg.6c96351bf5a9a63f81034ada507086a2.jpg

008.jpg.0a11f6cdf873267e1f277f23bb1223a2.jpg

009.jpg.55062646f3ce85bd9ca14040dbf46b0c.jpg

Thank you both for your posts. I tried to copy and paste with no success. Any other tips are welcome. I apologize that the photos are small.

After lunch we found our room and dropped off our carry on bags. Our luggage had not made it yet but, it was still early. Shortly after it was time to go to the Muster Drill, which was hot and crowded. We went up to the spa area to sign up for the drawing and then back down to the room. Our luggage was waiting for us outside the door. Our room was small but, satisfactory. Our beds were not separated as requested. I ask our steward Bukuri if he would separate them. Of course he had this done by the time we returned for the evening. I loved the closet space because all of our suitcases fit in one of the closets, getting them out of the way. The night before I only slept about one and half hours and then we got up at 5 am for the six hour drive from Texas to New Orleans. Thankfully Audra drove the whole way however, I was still very tired. It took me forever to unpack. We missed the spa drawing and the sail away party while we were napping. Oh well... we were on vacation after all. Then it was time for dinner. We stopped by the Taste Bar on our way. Audra liked the pork from Blue Iguana so much that I told her that they would give her more. She told the server how much she liked the pork and he gave her a pile of it and another soup. We never did make it back to the Taste bar the rest of the week despite the fact I would have liked to. Your Time Dining in the Renoir dining room was our choice for dinner six out of seven nights. This was a great option for us because we enjoyed meeting new people and we prefer to eat around 7 pm. In our opinion, the food was fabulous. Back in 2008 I sailed on the Ecstasy and was actually disappointed in the dining room food. The Conquest exceeded my expectations. More than once I heard Audra say she wish she had the recipes or she wish she could cook that well when she was eating. Since she was full from the taste bar Audra chose Shrimp Cocktail, Cesar Salad and Black Forrest Gateau cake. My choice was the Heart of Iceberg Lettuce, Linguini with Bell Peppers & Mushrooms, and Vanilla Creme' Burlee'. I should have ordered the appetizer portion of the pasta because it was huge and I could not eat it all. (the photo was accidentally deleted from my Iphone) We were not interested in the Welcome Aboard show after dinner, so we went to the Lido Deck to set on lounge chairs and relax. We had already seen the movie on the Seaside Theatre as well. (one of my minor complaints, they showed one of the same movies 3 times in 7 days - we found the same situation on the movie channel on the tv as well.) After returning to our room, I decorated our door. A seal was our first towel animal. Audra laughed at it (for obvious reasons). Our room was on the sixth floor just above a lounge with loud music and singing every night until 11 pm or 12 am. This did not bother me but, was a big problem for Audra. Audra is a very light sleeper.

100_0540.jpg.25e77b84ae4a6561fd129ca4ac508e85.jpg

100_0541.jpg.514fa1e8a369a217f9d479109dd4aba0.jpg

100_0543.jpg.0e6b611a02e7b3c0d31b8623f86d374f.jpg

100_0526.jpg.9a50e5ddb1d1839f20abf4a2e96b60d9.jpg

100_0527.jpg.d97551e1bc938fc05a44528cd47e8f6d.jpg

100_0529.jpg.58c3ecd5aa9e0142e8c3ffe271ff0b38.jpg

100_0533.jpg.65908c04b3c4c211102c1f1d978e8701.jpg

100_0534.jpg.fe09b095e06e4a728db605184c7660e3.jpg

100_0536.jpg.6da658802f4c9e63270cfc8ed2c4a265.jpg

100_0538.jpg.a5a19c633005c479f70f9eef64126e31.jpg

100_0676.jpg.48792e30800fd806190a266f9e653f16.jpg

Hint - the suitcases fit under the beds leaving all the closet space for clothes, even really large cases.

I'd almost forgotten about the stadium seating and big TV. Not a fan, but I don't hang around the main pool area, either. I'm guessing I'll be too tired to stay up to watch movies, since we only have two sea days with 8 nights.

Don't worry about the pics. I had all my cruise photos uploaded to Webshots and then they changed formats so now all my old reviews only have a little red x where the pic should be. :( Switched to Flickr, but don't find it to be very user friendly. Didn't realize that if I uploaded them to FB I could then copy and paste here. Will have to experiment (there is a separate experimentation board on Cruise Critic somewhere; I need to find it).

Yum. Crème brûlée. Love it!

If you click on the photos I have posted you can see them about 4 times larger anyway. NCTribeFan, for some reason I could not fit my large suitcase under my bed. I did try. (I forgot that we stored one of them under the desk as well) Anyway, .... we slept in on Monday since it was a sea day. My friend Audra loves cold coffee drinks so each day she went to the coffee shop on deck 5 to get her fix. The server there every morning was named Rene. She knew Audra by name by Tuesday and always said "Good morning Audra". We enjoyed breakfast at the Blue Iguana on the LIDO deck. They serve chicken breakfast tacos every morning and you may add eggs etc., if you like. They also serve Arpas as well already made. This was Audra's favorite breakfast while on the ship and she ate here every morning. I tried the breakfast burrito with the Mexican eggs, hash browns, bacon and chicken sausage with salsa. Wonderful and very filling. My favorite beverage at the buffet is the juice with the passion fruit, guava etc., I could drink that at every meal if it was offered. After breakfast we went back to deck 5 for the $10 Madness Sale at the Fun Shops. I purchased a casual watch to wear during port days and a beautiful scarf for my grandmother. Next Fun Ashore and Aboard where we see Gary the cruise director for the first time and we both just fall in love (not literally) but we loved his accent and think he is funny & entertaining. The captain made an appearance as well here. I wanted to stay for the Fun Finds Shopping show because I was hoping to win a prize... no such luck. I did however retrieve the coupon for the charm bracelet. Audra was really bored with this after about 45 minutes especially when the lady went on and on about diamonds and jewelry (apparently her specialty). I find out I have to attend the Gemstones and Diamonds seminar later that day to get the stingray charm and the cruise boat charm to go with the bracelet. I have a bracelet from a previous Carnival cruise however, I wanted these new charms. Next it was time to go to the pool. We love the adults only pool on Deck 9 aft. I love children however, I would prefer to enjoy the pool with no splashing or loud noise. This was prefect and relaxing. I missed the DOD on Sunday with the pink cup that you purchase for the week. Audra and I are not big drinkers at all, but we decided to get a drink at the bar by the adult pool. She got the Mocha Getaway (something like that) which she enjoyed alot! I ordered a Mojito which I found to be really strong. I did not realize you could add differently flavors as well until I met a lady in the pool drinking a raspberry one. By the time we were ready for lunch our only options were pizza, Blue Iquana or Guys Burgers. We were happy to try the Guys Burgers as they smelled so delicious. Both of us added grilled mushrooms and onions on ours. It was excellent and the seasoned fries were delicious as well, I left Audra at the pool while I attended the snooze-fest Gemstone and Diamonds seminar. I did get the two charms for my bracelet but, did not win a prize. Afterwards, I rejoined Audra at the pool for awhile until we needed to go back to our room to get ready for elegant night. For dinner we were seated with two young couples. They were very friendly and we enjoyed talking to one couple so much we missed the first part of Divas. For dinner we both ordered the same thing, stuffed baked white mushrooms, lobster with grilled shrimp & the chocolate melting cake for dessert. Lobster is one of my favorite foods, that I rarely ever eat. I ordered a second lobster tail. When my plate arrived it only had one lobster tail on it. I did not say anything because I just figured I did not need anyway. The food was amazing. After I finished my entree the waiter brought me another whole plate of food. (the 2nd lobster tail) I think I turned several shades of red in embarrassment. I shared the grilled shrimp with Audra leaving the vegetables behind of course. It was my favorite meal of the week. As as I stated we missed part of the first showing of DIVAS. The singing and dancing was not bad however, I did notice one lady sang out of her range during one song. I am really not much into the shows. I enjoy watching professional dancers (on a larger stage) or a live BAND much more. Audra likes the shows much more than I do. I planned the port days for us so I tried to get her to choose more of what she wanted to do on the ship. (Note: I am the planner/researcher of the two of us, she is more of a go with the flow type which is fine when we are on the ship but at port we have limited time and I like to make the best of it). Audra likes to go to sleep early.......so that is it for Day One. Towel animal...dog.

066.jpg.21e92b87aba595b92de3cbc689841777.jpg

012.jpg.aba3033f9bbfccbbbe27ac8f35023969.jpg

072.jpg.e2d7f30a39b980864186b60ef1da38c8.jpg

100_0544.jpg.e8ee27e7d9b6d7241fe5e85b5e7f106b.jpg

100_0545.jpg.14af6811d54a4999b7e987a176fc8554.jpg

Edited by plattwear
add photos

Audra and I have both been to Key West before. On our previous visits we did the Conch Tour, Hemingway House etc., We only booked one excursion on this cruise and it was a pricey one (in Freeport). I researched our options and planned our day based on our budget and our interests. After getting Audra's coffee, we dined for breakfast on the LIDO deck. Blue Iquana for her and a pancake, hash browns, sausage with grilled onions & mushrooms, and bacon from the buffet for me. With our bellies full it was time to head off the ship. We took photos of the outside of the ship and the port area, which I thought was beautiful. We kept walking toward the streets looking for a cab. We found a group of seven people waiting and ask them if they knew where to catch a cab. They were headed to the same place we were and a cab driver was coming back to get them after taking the first part of their group to Ft Zachary Taylor park beach. When the cab van arrived we ask him if he could take us after them. He piled all 9 of us in the van. He gave us his card and told us to call him when we were ready to be picked up. This "on our own" activity only cost us $12.50 per person which included admission to the park and cab/tips to and from the beach. Once we arrived at the beach it was overcast so we really did not need umbrellas or beach chairs. They are available for rent however. We sat our things on a picnic table under some trees. The beach is a little rocky and entering the water is very rocky, swim shoes are a must. The only time I have ever tried to snorkel was 17 years ago in the Caymen Islands with the string rays. I purchased my own snorkel mask and tubing before the cruise so that we could snorkel off the beach. (Audra likes to snorkel and has been reef snorkeling many times with her ex-husband). She explained how to use the equipment. It did not take me long to get the hang of it. We snorkeled near the rocks. I loved it! It was very peaceful watching the fish. We saw about 10 different kinds of fish and I tried to take photos with my disposable underwater camera. Audra got bored with this after awhile and went back on shore. We did move over to different rocks before we left and I remember seeing a Parrot fish and a barracuda as well. I could have snorkeled all day. However, time went by too fast, we were getting hungry and wanted to shop a little before returning to the ship at 3:30pm. I called the cab driver and he was on his way already to pick up a different group of seven people and would try to pile us in again if they were ok with it. He dropped them off at a fudge shop that smelled wonderful even from the inside the cab. He dropped us off at Garbo's Grill on Greene's St. for lunch. Garbo's is a tiny food truck with a few benches outside under some trees. They were highly rated on Trip Adviser. We both ordered the Mahi Mahi Fish Mango tacos and they were delicious. Reasonably priced with no disappointments at all. I ordered a Virgil's Cream Soda in a bottle as well. Afterwards we walked around trying to find the fudge shop with the incredible smell. We stopped at Key West Key Lime Pie Co where I purchased a Mango Key Lime Pie bar dipped in chocolate on a stick. (yummy) Audra bought Mango Mango salsa and I bought Key Lime Mango Marmalade to take home. While shopping, it came a big down pour of rain. Even with the rain panchos I brought for us...we still got soaked. I did found Diamonds International to pick up the Key West charm and free charm bracelet. We finally found Kilwin's Chocolate & Ice Cream. Audra loves fudge, we sampled some for free and she purchased some to take home her daughter as well. We also visited Mattheessen's & Magilners Candy Kitchen where I purchases a huge 1/2 lb chocolate chip cookie with nuts while Audra was looking at their fudge. (we would eat on this cookie all week and finally finish it off on the drive home). We visited a few other shops on our way back to the ship since the rain tapered off a bit. I purchased a Key West magnet. (I collect magnets) Audra found a cute sun dress for only $6.99, t-shirts for gifts and a beautiful silver ring with a purple stone for herself. We took a few more photos on our walk back to the ship in front of the Aquarium and at the square. Before boarding the ship (on time) we made our last calls home to let family know we were doing okay and would not be able to call or text them until we were back in New Orleans. Back to the room to rest, shower, and get ready for dinner. At dinner we sat next to a very nice couple from New Orleans that we enjoyed talking to. I ordered (too much) the smoked chicken quesadilla, french onion soup, braised style short ribs with the fried rice & eggplant, with warm fig, date & cinnamon cake. I could not eat all the short ribs (too much) but it was all delicious. Audra ordered the Jerk Pork Loin and the Cheesecake. (not sure if she ordered a starter, I can not remember). Our servers were awesome and did the dancing & singing, which we enjoyed. After dinner we went to the Family Friendly comedy with Russ Nagel. He was hilarious and we both very much needed to laugh that much. Early to sleep that night as we had a big day on Wednesday. Our towel animal was a jack rabbit (or that is what it looks like to me). Note: Audra thinks the towel animals are silly and thinks I am silly for taking photos of them each night... this does not deter me.

016.jpg.3afa02bb0b7daafb4d6ef415bbac85cf.jpg

017.jpg.4ff7d3a15a121374f4645e7293814b6c.jpg

Edited by plattwear
corrections

Great review! The Conquest was my first CCL cruise ship and my favorite. Wish we could sail her again with the 2.0 upgrades before she leaves NOLA.

Clay.

Thank you Roscoe. I wish you could too because we just loved it. I have sailed on the Ecstasy and Audra has actually sailed on the Conquest previously as well. We loved the 2.0 upgrades. :D

More photos of Day 3 ..Key West. We would have enjoyed the aquarium and had planned to go to the Eco-center by Ft Zachary however, we just did not have enough time. I loved seeing the fish up close and personal while snorkeling better anyway.

015.jpg.900197a2f3fac65cf479b5a8f1368be9.jpg

018.jpg.5705d4ca926f2b6b3b67639c1e1e1b07.jpg

019.jpg.87dfdc82df5a6918f4a0d4f927b115e3.jpg

021.jpg.e380d2420d5e471098cbbd0a984af63a.jpg

022.jpg.ee31e2466990f04b690e1b4251ad59bf.jpg

Edited by plattwear

You are not alone, so don't feel silly. I take pictures of every one of my towel animals every cruise. :D

Awesome BigRed93... Glad I am not alone. I told Audra in jest that I was going to buy her the book to take home. I have photos that I will post later of the towel animals at the Towel Hut on the Lido Deck by the pool. They were really cool. :cool: