Valor Southern Caribbean review with pictures and Fun Times - better late than never

pghsteelerfan

I'm not superstitious or anything, but we haven't had the best of luck with vacations (all land) during hurricane season. Actually, as I'm thinking of it, EVERY time we've had a vacation during hurricane season, we're usually directly affected or sweating bullets wondering if we'll get to go.

Nags Head, NC - August, 1991 (Hurricane Bob, evacuations voluntary, so we stayed, fortunately the strong side of the storm stayed east)

Nags Head, NC - Sept. 1993 (Hurricane Emily, hit a few days before we went, luckily no problems to place we stayed)

Hilton Head, SC - Sept. 1999 (Hurricane Floyd, evacuated, 3 hours just getting off the island and another 8 just to go about 100 miles, then drove up I95 with heavy rain the rest of the way back)

Negril, Jamaica - Sept. 2007 (Hurricane Dean 2 weeks before we hit - missed most of Jamaica but hit Costa Maya, MX, which is now rebuilt with a new cruise center)

Paradise Island (Nassau), Bahamas, Sept. 2010 (Hurricane Igor turned and hit Bermuda but beaches in Bahamas were closed)

Would you chance it? LOL!!! :) When DH suggested September, I reminded him that we seem to "attract hurricanes" for some reason and he decided to go in May. With only one vacation a year where we can go somewhere, I'd rather not risk it. He was getting two weeks and the other week he'd use days around Thanksgiving and a few at Christmas. I have read here on CC that if the weather holds up, October/November are great times to go. This would have been a great year...so far, and I hope it stays that way. :)

Ohhh I can totally understand this... me living in Puerto Rico and waiting for my vacation; booking a cruise in hurricane season is completely off limits for me lol.... I would not want a hurricane interrupt my vacations. I just book in winter, it's just something less to worry about :D

BTW, thank you for all the pictures and sharing your awesome vacation, I can't wait for January for me and DH to cruise the Valor!!!!:D

Hahaha I see your reasons on not wanting to cruise during hurricane season!

LOL!!! I know, right? :) When we heard that song by Jimmy Buffett called "Trying to Reason With the Hurricane Season" for the fist time on one of our CD's, I just laughed out loud. I also have a T-shirt with that song title from one of the Margaritaville's.

Ohhh I can totally understand this... me living in Puerto Rico and waiting for my vacation; booking a cruise in hurricane season is completely off limits for me lol.... I would not want a hurricane interrupt my vacations. I just book in winter, it's just something less to worry about :D

BTW, thank you for all the pictures and sharing your awesome vacation, I can't wait for January for me and DH to cruise the Valor!!!!:D

I like your way of thinking, so similar. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :) I'd love to book in the winter to get out of the cold weather, which is right around the corner. I'm glad you're still enjoying the pictures and review. Have you decided yet what to do on the islands during your cruise?

When we finished snorkeling we got our stuff and Isabelle told us to go ahead and take the snorkel gear with us and to feel free to snorkel in that area anytime we wanted or even right off the beach where the loungers were. Once we had everything, she walked over with us and got the guy who assisted us with the loungers. The loungers we used were at the Yellow Beach restaurant section, which is the one on the right when you are arriving on the island by the ferry. I wanted pictures so I walked around and got pictures after we got our loungers.

I forgot to mention that Pinel Island is on the northeast part of St. Maarten/St. Martin and is on the French side (St. Martin). It's considered to be located in Orient Bay, so when you're on Pinel Island looking over to St. Martin, it's Orient Bay and the mountains surrounding it that you can see.

If these three pictures were put together left to right, starting with the first, that would be the "panoramic" view from the sand bar back to St. Martin.

100_7303.jpg

100_7304.jpg

100_7309.jpg

This is the section of beach that we had loungers.

100_7310.jpg

The snorkel hut, where we met with Isabell, is the small building in this picture

100_7311.jpg

100_7312.jpg

I like your way of thinking, so similar. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. :) I'd love to book in the winter to get out of the cold weather, which is right around the corner. I'm glad you're still enjoying the pictures and review. Have you decided yet what to do on the islands during your cruise?

Yes, I'm ready to go lol...

Im going to do,

St Thomas: Screaming Eagle Jet then going to the Magic Ice

Barbados:I'm booked with Tyrone Griffith

St. Lucia: I'm going parasailing

St. Kitts: Booked with Sugar City Adventures for Segway tour

St. Maarten: Going to Maho Beach

:D:D:D

Edited by Alexlee

Thank you and thanks for the correct name of the sponge baskets. :) A group of us were talking about what we were seeing after we snorkeled and someone said he asked and was told "basket coral", but I don't know who he asked (might not have been Spencer, he just said "he asked") but he could have also just gotten the name wrong. Do you know much about sponge baskets? If so, are they just baskets made of sponge set there for effect or are they a type of sponge that actually grows like that? I just tried looking it up and found other types of sponges (natural) but also found "sponge baskets" to be used in the kitchen for sponges. Whatever they were, I really thought they were neat and saw several.

They actually do grow like that. I have a dried one in our bar room. I got it in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Its like the sponge capital of the world. I did google it (got the same kitchen ones you did lol) so tried 'sea' sponge baskets and found this. Never thought of putting stuff in it. :) Wow, who knew - $175 for these? I probably paid like $10 for my empty one, if that.

http://tarponsponge.com/spongebaskets.htm

DH and I need to sit down and figure out what we are doing at each port. Pinel Island sounds really cool, but since this is our first time to St. Maarten, we're going over to watch the planes. :)

Yes, I'm ready to go lol...

Im going to do,

St Thomas: Screaming Eagle Jet then going to the Magic Ice

Barbados:I'm booked with Tyrone Griffith

St. Lucia: I'm going parasailing

St. Kitts: Booked with Sugar City Adventures for Segway tour

St. Maarten: Going to Maho Beach

:D:D:D

All that you're doing sounds like a lot of fun. We only had set plans for a few of the days and the others we just "winged it" or went with the flow. If we didn't get to Pinel Island, Maho Beach was what we would have done. Next time. LOL!!! We live under the flight pattern of a major international airport (Washington Dulles International) and have planes flying over all the time. We're about 7 miles from the airport so they are low but not that low. When I told DH about Maho Beach, he told me I can watch airplanes from our deck. I told him to get on the computer, look up YouTube and search "Maho Bay"...then he understood the draw of Maho Bay. I've never done parasailing but would love to do it sometime. Are you thinking of doing a review after your cruise? No pressure, but I'd definitely subscribe. :)

They actually do grow like that. I have a dried one in our bar room. I got it in Tarpon Springs, Florida. Its like the sponge capital of the world. I did google it (got the same kitchen ones you did lol) so tried 'sea' sponge baskets and found this. Never thought of putting stuff in it. :) Wow, who knew - $175 for these? I probably paid like $10 for my empty one, if that.

http://tarponsponge.com/spongebaskets.htm

DH and I need to sit down and figure out what we are doing at each port. Pinel Island sounds really cool, but since this is our first time to St. Maarten, we're going over to watch the planes. :)

Thanks for the link. I'd love to have one of those, it would really look great in one of our bathrooms that has a beach them, but I can't see spending $175 for one. That is really neat how they grow like that. I've found some smaller sponges on beaches in the Caribbean but they definitely aren't sponge baskets.

If we ever get to St. Maarten again, it's going to be Maho Bay. Did you see my previous response about Maho to Alexlee?

All that you're doing sounds like a lot of fun. We only had set plans for a few of the days and the others we just "winged it" or went with the flow. If we didn't get to Pinel Island, Maho Beach was what we would have done. Next time. LOL!!! We live under the flight pattern of a major international airport (Washington Dulles International) and have planes flying over all the time. We're about 7 miles from the airport so they are low but not that low. When I told DH about Maho Beach, he told me I can watch airplanes from our deck. I told him to get on the computer, look up YouTube and search "Maho Bay"...then he understood the draw of Maho Bay. I've never done parasailing but would love to do it sometime. Are you thinking of doing a review after your cruise? No pressure, but I'd definitely subscribe. :)

Yeahhh I'm so happy!!! The first time, I went on the Victory they were the same islands and I did just that ''went with the flow'' lol This time I'm taking my dad along with his girlfriend and he is like SOOOO exited this will be his first cruise and hers as well, I'm hoping they get addicted to them as well hahaha . It will be my first with a lot of tours including parasailing, I went to Maho last time but since dad wants to see the planes then we're going to ;)..... I will love to do a review when I get back, I just hesitate a little, just because my first language is not English, it's Spanish. But I promise I will think about it. ;):)

Edited by Alexlee

Yeahhh I'm so happy!!! The first time, I went on the Victory they were the same islands and I did just that ''went with the flow'' lol This time I'm taking my dad along with his girlfriend and he is like SOOOO exited this will be his first cruise and hers as well, I'm hoping they get addicted to them as well hahaha . It will be my first with a lot of tours including parasailing, I went to Maho last time but since dad wants to see the planes then we're going to ;)..... I will love to do a review when I get back, I just hesitate a little, just because my first language is not English, it's Spanish. But I promise I will think about it. ;):)

Please don't hesitate because English is not your first language. I would never have guessed that if you hadn't said it. Your English is wonderful!

Some kind of coral. I thought it looked like the head of a deer with really small antlers.

IMG_0258.jpg

I think the one fish is a "sergeant" fish. Snorkeling is my favorite thing to do :D My DH doesn't like it as much as I do so he doesn't always stay in the water very long.

:confused:Do you have to go very far out from shore on the islands? I don't want to venture too far out by myself. I always try to give a wave to DH so he knows where I'm at.

We are booked with Island Marketing to go to Pinel Island...I'm soooo excited. 73 days and counting!!:eek:

Love, Love, Love your review and all the pictures...I'm a big picture nut myself. Can't wait!

It was beautiful and the one of the reasons we chose Spencer's Jalousie Beach break was because it allowed four hours at the beach. It was just a fun and relaxing day set in beautiful scenery. That's what I really like about cruising, being able to go and see different places and maybe, some day, doing a land vacation there. St. Lucia is now on that list. :)

Are you stuck in a shaded area of Jalousie and the hotel occupies the 'nice' parts? Or do you have the ability to situate in a good spot? thanks....can't wait for April

I'd love to go in February to get away from winter, but DH would rather go in May. He actually suggested September...hurricane season. I told him "no way" will I set foot on a ship during hurricane season. I know the cruise lines will avoid hurricanes, but I don't think being on a ship in rough weather would be my idea of a vacation. I get motion sickness and use something that works so I never had an issues, but I'm afraid nothing would work in rough seas. I've seen those pictures and videos. LOL!!!

I could ask...:) He'd have to give so many discounts. They have their website, but I've seen so many others comment that they've booked based on reviews right here on CC. I know we did. ;) You are really going to love it!

We have been on one other cruise and it was in February as well. The weather was great! We live in Georgia so we have it better weather-wise in the winter than most, but it's still nice to get to the warmth of the Caribbean! :D It's our anniversary month and that one was our 25th and this will be our 30th. We did a Southern Caribbean on Princess last time that we just loved. The only repeats are San Juan and St. Thomas, I'm excited to see the different islands. I loved St. Thomas so don't mind going there again at all. Still enjoying following your review and pictures! I will probably look at them over and over until February;)

I'm on page 8 of your review. Thanks for all the detail. I've borrowed more pictures, which are going onto my Desktop Slideshow; Valor in SJ and a couple of STT. Thanks! Have not seen an answer to your question below yet, so read on! A little payback. :p

The drink that came in it was the Coral Crush, which was VERY good and if any one had the recipe for that drink, I’d love to have it. It tasted like a rum punch type drink but also had some kind of coconut cream or Pina Colada mix in it.

Coral Crush

¾ oz Amaretto

¾ oz Peach Schnapps

1 oz Pineapple Juice

1 oz Orange Juice

1 oz Sour Mix

¼ oz Grenadine Syrup

2 C Crushed Ice

In a blender, add all ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into a specialty glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

I hope you get your dad and his girlfriend addicted to cruising, but your trip sounds like it's going to be so much fun. I wish I could go again soon. We don't get to cruise that often (only 5 cruises in 21 years) but I love it.

I was hesitant on doing a review also but because there are so many out there that are so good that I was intimidated by that and also the time. Once I started it became addicting. I did cheat a little by typing up the main part of the review into a Word document. That took over two weeks.

Please don't worry about your English, it is very good. It is a lot better than that of people I know who were born and raised in the US, speaking English. I'd love to learn Spanish. I lived in California until I was 10 and in pre-school and kindergarten they were teaching us both English and Spanish (counting & basic words) and it was so easy to learn but they stopped when I was in first grade. In junior high school here, my parents wanted me to take French. I didn't do too well, but I'd love to learn Spanish because a lot of people in the area I live speak it.

I think the one fish is a "sergeant" fish. Snorkeling is my favorite thing to do :D My DH doesn't like it as much as I do so he doesn't always stay in the water very long.

:confused:Do you have to go very far out from shore on the islands? I don't want to venture too far out by myself. I always try to give a wave to DH so he knows where I'm at.

We are booked with Island Marketing to go to Pinel Island...I'm soooo excited. 73 days and counting!!:eek:

Love, Love, Love your review and all the pictures...I'm a big picture nut myself. Can't wait!

Thank you for the name. I looked at the display they had of the kinds of fish we'd most likely see and I should have just taken a picture of it. It would have been nice to have the names. :)

No, you don't have to go very far out far at all for the snorkeling.

I'm so glad you're getting to Pinel Island - we loved it!

Thank you about the pictures. I'm glad you're enjoying the review and all pictures. I'm far from a professional but I just love taking pictures and also seeing pictures that others post in their reviews.

We have been on one other cruise and it was in February as well. The weather was great! We live in Georgia so we have it better weather-wise in the winter than most, but it's still nice to get to the warmth of the Caribbean! :D It's our anniversary month and that one was our 25th and this will be our 30th. We did a Southern Caribbean on Princess last time that we just loved. The only repeats are San Juan and St. Thomas, I'm excited to see the different islands. I loved St. Thomas so don't mind going there again at all. Still enjoying following your review and pictures! I will probably look at them over and over until February;)

I've heard that the weather in the Caribbean is usually the best between late November - March. I think February would be great just to break up winter. Winter wouldn't be over when coming back, but by that time spring/summer are right around the corner. Winter is not as bad here as other areas either but we do get our share of snow and cold.

Which other islands did you visit on your Princess cruise? This was actually our third time in both San Juan and St. Thomas but I certainly didn't mind because I love both.

I'm glad you're still enjoying the review and pictures. :)

I'm on page 8 of your review. Thanks for all the detail. I've borrowed more pictures, which are going onto my Desktop Slideshow; Valor in SJ and a couple of STT. Thanks! Have not seen an answer to your question below yet, so read on! A little payback. :p

Coral Crush

¾ oz Amaretto

¾ oz Peach Schnapps

1 oz Pineapple Juice

1 oz Orange Juice

1 oz Sour Mix

¼ oz Grenadine Syrup

2 C Crushed Ice

In a blender, add all ingredients. Blend until smooth. Pour into a specialty glass. Garnish with a maraschino cherry.

Thank you so much for the recipe!!! :) I loved this drink and now I can make it at home and I'm pretty sure we already have everything we need too. DH got me a Margaritaville Margarita maker several years ago and this will be perfect.

So glad that you're enjoying the review and happy you're enjoying the pictures. I have to update my desktop slideshow - it's still from our cruise on Glory three years ago. I want to use my favorites from both cruises and combine them.

Again, thank you for the recipe. :)